Shock service - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Straight roads are evil

Shock service

Front end was spongy, could bottom it by hand. Braking hard on a bumpy road, the front would often skid, as the shocks were bottomed. Not good!

Bike is '06 with 44k of hard riding. I spend a lot of time on goat trails (bumpy ultratwisty goodness), so the shocks have seen a lot of bouncing. Time to get them serviced.

Took it to a local shop, Evolution Suspension. The stock springs are 0.5 kg/mm, with 10W fork oil. They replaced the springs with ones much stiffer, 0.9 kg/mm and 20W fork oil.

On the rear shocks, I used to run preload 3 with 0 psi. Bumped it to preload 4, 10 psi (will probably jump to 20 psi soon).

Haven't taken it to twisty roads yet, but the handling does seem different. I'll post up the twisty results this weekend.

The journey is the destination.

2006 VN750 (SOLD)
63160 miles
Mustang seat
R/R Relocate
MCCT
MF Battery
Red spark plug wires
Stainless Steel brake lines
Stiffer fork springs
Windshield
Givi bags, Wingrack mount
Voltmeter
GPS Mount
Pashnit sticker!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 06:36 PM
Old Fart

Garage
It has always been reccomended to replace the front fork springs with Progressive springs.( which are stiffer, actually "progressive" and a bit longer)

Most use 15w fork oil however.

I always ran about 25 lbs of air in the rear, even though I weigh around 150 , as on occasion my wife rode with me. Later I got the chance to dump the stock rears for a set of Progessive 412's....a HUGE improvement.

For a rider under 200 lbs the bike is sprung too soft in front and too hard in back...so I am sure you will find some definite improvements in the handliing dept with your changes.........

The only other addition you could make is a fork brace...which does help in those "twistys" .....

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 08:43 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Hey KM, I'm about 150-155lbs also. The front seems a little too soft and the rear to hard also. I've got the preload set at 2 w/o air. Would just switching to progressives in the front with 15w fork oil help or should I also add to the rear?

I'm always by myself as I'm not confident enough in my riding skills yet to ride with the wife. Only have 6 months and 2100 miles under my belt. Don't have bags yet, but plan to get them soon.

My daily ride
Metzler ME880s
NGK caps, wires and Iridiums
Coasters (made by Lance328), earshave and rejet with screws turned out 3 turns
Volt gauge w/ custom mounting cup by Lance328 wired into headlight bucket 13.5v-14v
National Cycles Plexistar 2 windshield
DEKA battery
Mutazu GA Black hard bags w/ custom support brackets and relocation brackets made by Lance328
Custom lowers made by Lance328
Vance&Hines Cruzer exhaust pipes
TOC MCCTs
H.I.D. Conversion kit

Last edited by VN750_DawgsFan; 09-10-2009 at 08:47 PM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 09:33 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VN750_DawgsFan View Post
Hey KM, I'm about 150-155lbs also. The front seems a little too soft and the rear to hard also. I've got the preload set at 2 w/o air. Would just switching to progressives in the front with 15w fork oil help or should I also add to the rear?
Well the progressive springs up front help alot no matter what you weigh. I think it was voted one of the best bang for the buck improvements you could make to the bike. A set is about 65 bucks.

Now the rear is where the cost explodes. I think the lowest price shock they make is around $250.00 a set now. I have heard of others buying different shocks off ebay that worked. Or even finding some at a local junk yard off a different bike.

I had just the front fork springs installed (along with the additon of a fork brace) for awhile before getting the rear shocks, and they do make a big difference. The fork brace likely will not give the average rider much noticable improvement unless they tend to ride hard.

The addition of the rear shocks made my bike about as perfect as it was likely going to get handling and ride wise.

But I would reccomned to everyone that has not done it to install the progressive fork springs....as for the rear, it is kind of hard justifying spending 200-300 bucks for a set of shocks, but if you find a good deal, just about ANYTHING is better than the stock units.

KM

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 10:19 AM
Late to the party

So KM, would the following be the right ones? You didn't give a model# for the fork springs. And thanks for the info!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...&creative=9325

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...&creative=9325

'05 VN750 - "Cookie"
My Gallery

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 03:59 PM
Old Fart

Garage
The rear shocks will work fine, but the proper front springs are:
http://tinyurl.com/lkd92m

Part # 11-1128 . Took a minute to find it in the Verses...which has a bit of info you might wish to look at:

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1116

As noted in the install texts , the springs are about 2 inches longer than the stock ones, so you need to cut the stock "tube" spacers down around 7 inches or use the suggested pvc pipe and make new spacers.

The photos from my install that could not be imbedded in the text of my write up are here:
http://tinyurl.com/39xry9

KM

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 03:49 PM
Late to the party

Hey thanks KM! I've got that tucked away in my notes for a todo next year.

'05 VN750 - "Cookie"
My Gallery

Sponsored Links
Advertisement