Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

96' Vulcan Front Brakes... Tight and Grinding...

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  fergy 
#1 ·
my 96' with 9400 miles the front brakes are always grinding ... the calipers seem to be stuck, just like disc brakes do. how do i figure out if the brake fluids old and needs changed, the calipers need rebuilt, or what????? any help is greatly appreciated...

#2 ·
If the brake fluid is old, it will be dark. New fluid looks like weak colored tea to me. If it's real bad, it can get black and kinda gooey.

#3 ·
Hi Dwains,

Take the calipers off the forks (no need to remove the brake hoses), remove the pads, clean the caliper externally, clean the inside and exposed pistons etc with a good brake cleaner & a small stiff brush. Don't scratch the pistons.

Remove the sliding pin boots and clean the pins back to clean shiney metal. Use copper grease on the pins and re-assemble. Push the piston/s back into the caliper and put back on the forks. Replace pads.

Make sure you put a smear of copper grease on the back of the pads, DON'T pull the brake lever while the pads are out and make sure that the brake cylinder doesn't overflow when you push the piston/s back in.

Love, light & peace
Mart

#4 ·
One more thing to add, if you have never flushed your brake fluid, it is old and needs to be done. Should be done about every two years I think. It's really easy to do. Bike on centerstand, put a tube onto the zerk fitting on the right front caliper and put the other end of the tube in a glass jar. Put a towel over your tank so you don't splatter any juice on it. Take the master cyl (MC) cover off. Make sure your level is full in the MC and gently squeeze the brake lever and hold it. While holding the lever, open the zerk fitting with a small wrench and let the pressure off, then close it, all while holding the brake lever in. Slowly release the brake lever. Then check your level in the MC and repeat. You do this over and over using new Dot 4 brake fluid until you see the clean fluid coming out the drain hose you put on the zerk fitting. Flush it a couple more times and then move to the Left side and repeat. You might need a hand to do the left side. Caution! Don't let the fluid level get too low in the MC or you will suck air into the brake lines! It's tempting to do this three or four times before adding fluid but you mess up and you'll wish you didn't! (it can be bled out, but just don't get yourself in this situation!) Anyhow, that's my story. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.