What to use to inflate tires/check pressure? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

What to use to inflate tires/check pressure?

I felt like my tires were low when i was riding home tonight, felt like it slid a little in a turn or two, so I decided to go pick up some stuff to check on my tires.

I went to my local autozone tonight and picked up a Slime brand digital gauge, and slime brand foot pump with gauge.

But.. neither actually work on the rear wheel. The digital gauge was too fat, and I couldn't get the foot pump nozzle on there because of the locking lever

Anyways, I was thinking of picking up this guy:
Progressive Air Shock Pump

its a 0-60 PSI pump, this would be sufficient to do both my tires and rear shocks right?

or should I get the 0-300 PSI one? I felt like the 0-60 would be more accurate? good idea?

Sorry for the stupid question, just really makes me nervous riding today, I was hoping to get it squared away so I could ride every day this week, its supposed to be nice weather....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 09:05 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to cglennon
I have several tire gauges; two digital and on pencil. Only the pencil model fits easily on the rear tire valve. However, I like the digitals better. So, I tilt the valve stem a few degrees (using my finger) to get the digital meters on. Same goes for my foot pump (standard Joe Blow model).

You could definitely use a shock pump if your just off a few pounds, but go with the 0-60psi model. However, the volume of air output by a shock pump is very small, compared to the foot pump. It will take a while to fill a full flat tire using a shock pump.

There are other meters and pumps that will fit, so you could also return the ones you just bought and shop around for a better fit.

Chris Glennon - Portland, OR
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cglennon View Post
I have several tire gauges; two digital and on pencil. Only the pencil model fits easily on the rear tire valve. However, I like the digitals better. So, I tilt the valve stem a few degrees (using my finger) to get the digital meters on. Same goes for my foot pump (standard Joe Blow model).

You could definitely use a shock pump if your just off a few pounds, but go with the 0-60psi model. However, the volume of air output by a shock pump is very small, compared to the foot pump. It will take a while to fill a full flat tire using a shock pump.

There are other meters and pumps that will fit, so you could also return the ones you just bought and shop around for a better fit.
Thanks, thats the game plan, not sure what im going to do, you're able to use one of the pumps with the long latches for the nozzle by pushing the stem to the side enough?

I also wasnt impressed with it since that pump read 40psi when i finally did get it on the rear stem, yet the pencil tester read like 32 psi.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 10:15 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

I wouldn't use a shock pump. Like cglennon said, it'll take awhile.
Check out something like THESE for getting the pump & guage onto the rear tire stem.
Just don't leave them on. Take them off once pressure is good.
For a permanent angled valve, ya could go with something like THESE.

Also, ya don't want to pull on the stem, as it could lead to it cracking. Not something ya want to happen when ya only have two wheels on the ground!

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperbuzzin View Post
I wouldn't use a shock pump. Like cglennon said, it'll take awhile.
Check out something like THESE for getting the pump & guage onto the rear tire stem.
Just don't leave them on. Take them off once pressure is good.
For a permanent angled valve, ya could go with something like THESE.

Also, ya don't want to pull on the stem, as it could lead to it cracking. Not something ya want to happen when ya only have two wheels on the ground!
Brilliant!!! haha

Thanks for the suggestion, didn't even think of something like that.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 10:25 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

How long are your stems? I got the shortest I could find at NAPA (3/4" ?) and don't have the above fitment issues.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

I've no idea, whatever would come on the stock tires...

Ill have to try and get an angle extensions from an autozone or advance auto or something.

Would my issue of feeling like the rear end slips slightly be due to low tires? it doesnt seem like when I sit on the bike that the tire doesnt flatten out or buldge out much at all.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 11:51 PM
Love My Baby

I tried the extension angled valve stems and they are not worth the effort to put it on, fill up your tire and take it off, especially when you loose a lot of air taking the darn thing off. When I buy a new rear tire, I'm getting a stubby valve stem and that should take care of my air pump attachment issues.

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light
Cortech mini tank bag on rear rack
Pirelli MT66 Tires: 110 front / 150 rear
Splines lubed when tires installed at 10,650 miles
Splines lubed again at 14,400 with stubby valve stem install

Place your mouse on the X below and drag to the O

X
Even though you can't see Him, GOD is there! O
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 07:52 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Identitycrisis View Post
Would my issue of feeling like the rear end slips slightly be due to low tires? it doesnt seem like when I sit on the bike that the tire doesnt flatten out or buldge out much at all.
Are the tires old or newer? If they are old and dried out, it could cause the tire to not have good traction.
If they are newer, they could be low enough that you don't notice low pressure visually, but when riding, low enough to lose grip in a turn.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperbuzzin View Post
Are the tires old or newer? If they are old and dried out, it could cause the tire to not have good traction.
If they are newer, they could be low enough that you don't notice low pressure visually, but when riding, low enough to lose grip in a turn.
I'm fairly certain they're the original stock tires. Looking last night for the PSI rating I noticed several little cracks in the sidewall, but didn't think to check the tire date. But on a bike that only had 5600 or so miles when I bought it, and at least one other new rider/owner, I doubt they have been changed. So I would say they're from 2000.

Its just funny because I didn't notice this before, maybe im pushing the bike a little harder than I was because i'm getting more comfortable on it. But im still a wuss so who knows.. lol

I think on one of the cheapo stick guages I got like 29-30 psi on the front, and 32-34 psi on the rear, but then when i put that foot pump on, the guage read 40 PSI, and I couldn't get the digital gauge on there to verify... didn't even bother with the front.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement