Pulling to the right.. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
ruk
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 30
iTrader: (0)
 
Question Pulling to the right..

I have recently revived my baby, a 2001 VN750. It has been sitting outside on its kickstand since the summer of 2007. The last time I rode her, she wasnt doing too good. Throttle response was very slow and unresponsive. I was getting a coolant leak at the base of the cylinder. To make a long story short, I got her started after charging the yuasa batt and changed oil. After 10 cranks, she started! Rough at first and would only remain running with the choke, but, she eventually ran at 70%. My concern is that now she is pulling to the right. What could cause this? low inflated tires? Fork oil need replacment? Sticky fork maybe? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS although she sat outside for a while, I covered her up good.

Ruk,
2001 VN750-Black/Silver
9900 Miles
Stock Everything
=Rotella-T 10W-40, SuperTech 6607=

Last edited by ruk; 08-20-2009 at 08:58 PM. Reason: edited year of vehicle
ruk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 09:47 PM
Old Fart
 
Knifemaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Catawissa, MO
Posts: 11,576
iTrader: (4)
     
Garage
If it was sitting for 2 years outside I am surprised it even started...but I would guess your tires are the problem.

Check the air pressure and see if the tires are out of round.


KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Knifemaker is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 10:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Glenn M's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Middle of the Mitten
Posts: 311
iTrader: (0)
 
Here are a few things that may be causing the problem. Tires, fork oil, rear shock air pressure uneven or the swing arm is out of alignment.

Glenn

1985 VN700
Saddle Bags
Small Sport Windshield
R/R moved
Home built coasters
Kaw touring front fender
1990 Fuel tank
Kenda Kruz 110/90-19 & 170/80-15 tires
NGK Iridium plugs
NGK plug caps and 7mm copper core wires.
Deer Whistles

My VN700 pic's

VROC #7740
Glenn M is offline  
 
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
ruk
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 30
iTrader: (0)
 
Thanks for the reply. I am definitely suspecting the fork oil/seals. I will be checking the forks and tire pressure. I will update once I am done checking the bike.

Knifemaker: I was also surprised that it started. I remember putting half a can of seafoam in the tank before I left her alone. The real reason I stop riding is that after I changed oil and started the bike, the oil turns black after a few minutes. I dont think thats normal. I also smell gas in the oil. At first I thought it was the coolant leak from the base of the cylinder but now I'm stumped. I have no choice but to pull the engine and start looking inside.

Ruk,
2001 VN750-Black/Silver
9900 Miles
Stock Everything
=Rotella-T 10W-40, SuperTech 6607=
ruk is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 12:22 PM
Senior Member
 
spiral_72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Spartanburg, SC
Posts: 130
iTrader: (0)
 
How about the right front caliper is stuck due to corrosion?

It'd be easy to check. Lift the front end and spin the tire.

No?
spiral_72 is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 12:41 PM
Old Truck Junkie
 
niterider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Roby Texas
Posts: 4,130
iTrader: (15)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiral_72 View Post
How about the right front caliper is stuck due to corrosion?

It'd be easy to check. Lift the front end and spin the tire.

No?
That would not cause it to pull to the right, there are bikes with only one disk for braking and they stop straight.

02 honda sabre 1100
niterider is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 12:46 PM
Old Truck Junkie
 
niterider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Roby Texas
Posts: 4,130
iTrader: (15)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruk View Post
Thanks for the reply. I am definitely suspecting the fork oil/seals. I will be checking the forks and tire pressure. I will update once I am done checking the bike.

Knifemaker: I was also surprised that it started. I remember putting half a can of seafoam in the tank before I left her alone. The real reason I stop riding is that after I changed oil and started the bike, the oil turns black after a few minutes. I dont think thats normal. I also smell gas in the oil. At first I thought it was the coolant leak from the base of the cylinder but now I'm stumped. I have no choice but to pull the engine and start looking inside.
This could be from carb flooding and allow too much fuel into the crankcase through the piston rings.

Welcome to the group, hope you get your ride going.

02 honda sabre 1100

Last edited by niterider; 08-20-2009 at 12:47 PM. Reason: welcome
niterider is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
ruk
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 30
iTrader: (0)
 
Thanks all for such good suggestions! The bike is at my father in law's so I will not be able to work on it until Saturday. I will most definitely keep everyone updated.
i already checked the calipers/pads, they are in good shape and not rubbing each other.
the only thing I can think of at this point is probably the fork/oil and seals.

niterider: would that explain the black contaminated oil? I mean I literally just changed it and then after 5 minutes of the motor running , its black.

Ruk,
2001 VN750-Black/Silver
9900 Miles
Stock Everything
=Rotella-T 10W-40, SuperTech 6607=
ruk is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 09:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Glenn M's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Middle of the Mitten
Posts: 311
iTrader: (0)
 
I give up!!!

Glenn

1985 VN700
Saddle Bags
Small Sport Windshield
R/R moved
Home built coasters
Kaw touring front fender
1990 Fuel tank
Kenda Kruz 110/90-19 & 170/80-15 tires
NGK Iridium plugs
NGK plug caps and 7mm copper core wires.
Deer Whistles

My VN700 pic's

VROC #7740
Glenn M is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 01:01 AM
Old Truck Junkie
 
niterider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Roby Texas
Posts: 4,130
iTrader: (15)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruk View Post
Thanks all for such good suggestions! The bike is at my father in law's so I will not be able to work on it until Saturday. I will most definitely keep everyone updated.
i already checked the calipers/pads, they are in good shape and not rubbing each other.
the only thing I can think of at this point is probably the fork/oil and seals.

niterider: would that explain the black contaminated oil? I mean I literally just changed it and then after 5 minutes of the motor running , its black.
You may need an engine flush to clean out the crank case.

My engine oil is not really ever clean. I have trouble seeing the level through the glass window. I think my engine runs rich, the pipes are rather black and sooty looking. But I am not messing with it, it runs good, and getting 46 mpg.

02 honda sabre 1100
niterider is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Once registered, your User Name"cannot be changed". We can make exceptions within 7 days, but after that, it is set in stone.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome