tire size comparison pics - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

tire size comparison pics

[/IMG]

I hope that the attached pics make it, should be 6 total. On my wife's VN, black with the hwy. bars and bags, are mounted Metzeler me880 tires in the stock sizes, 100/90-19...150/90-15. On the cranberry VN, mine, I just oversized to Pirelli Route mt66 sized 110/90-19 and 170/80-15 on the rear. The pics are my best attempt to show how the tire sizes compare. I know that comparing different manufacturers is like apples to oranges, but it may help in someones decision process. Overall, the Pirellis profile measure 1/2 inch (or a bit more) wider on both tires. The Pirelli front tire clearly appears wider and taller. The Pirellis sidewalls are both also about 1/2 inch taller. Mounting the rear tire wasn't too bad after I let the tire pressure down to about 15 psi. BTW...the Pirellis ride GREAT, way big improvement over the factory 7 year old Bridgestones. I also find the oversized Pirellis very stable, moreso than the stock sized Metzelers. My humble opinions...hope it helps.

Last edited by johnrwilco; 07-23-2009 at 03:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 05:22 AM
1992 VN 750

I didn't get the pix...probably my browser or some other coomputer issue that I will never totally understand.

I just put a ME880 110/90 19 on the front of my bike and it is like day and night to the way the bike rode before. In the past my bike felt really light in the front end and tracked cracks like a drywaller with a bucket of joint compund in his hands. It was unnerving at times. The moment I put on the new 110 though the bike settled down is now a comfortable, predictable, solid feeling ride. Slow speed confidence, no more drift over poor pavement, no crack tracking and an overall solid front end feel are the best descriptions of the difference. I will put a 170/80 15 ME880 on the rear this winter and eagerly await next Spring's riding season!

Any other tricks to putting the rear tire on other than letting the air pressure out a little? I assume you lower the rear wheel (after putting the bike on a 2 x 4 under the center stand)by taking the lower shock mounts off, disconnect the rear brake linkage, pull the axle and then the wheel comes out on the right side with a little effort. Will I need to loosen the right side pipes? The installation is the reverse...but as stiff as these tires are, seems like air pressure alone would not be all that is required. Is it possible to pull the whole wheel off straight off the back by removing the drive shaft where it couples to the wheel assembly, lubricate the spline and then slide it back straight in from the rear? I figure I will be doing this during the winter so taking more stuff apart is just a bigger part of the fun!

1992 VN 750 / 18,100 miles
V and H Cruzers
Earshaved and sheared
110/90 and 170/80 Metzeler 880s
AGM Battery
TPE Stator
Clear Alternatives LED brakelight
Saddleman Explorer Seat
Kurakyn Levers
VN750.com Grill cover
SCP Coasters
Iridium plugs
MOSFET R/R

Last edited by bordolover; 07-23-2009 at 09:21 AM.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 08:49 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

How about these....

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

First, I apologize to anyone viewing this thread as the pics did not print correctly. My bad, I will try again. In respect to mounting the rear tire back onto the final drive, I simply followed Fergy's (kudos, again) instructions as directed in the spline lube procedure. Fully inflated, it was too snug to wiggle the tire into position. By reducing the tire pressure, as suggested by another member(s) on this site, I was able to get past the swingarm and then lift the tire up and wiggle the wheel to mesh onto the final drive gear. Took some effort, but got there. First time for me....if I can do it, so can you! And, no, I did not have to drop either exhaust pipe/muffler. Now, figuring out how to post these pics full size....back to the archives for posting pics, again.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Hyper, thanks for getting the pics posted for me! Now I can get back to plotting the course for our upcoming trip to Monogahala State Forest.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 09:18 AM
1992 VN 750

Awesome pix! Thanks...I may have to push up my timeline on the rear tire now and not wait for winter!

1992 VN 750 / 18,100 miles
V and H Cruzers
Earshaved and sheared
110/90 and 170/80 Metzeler 880s
AGM Battery
TPE Stator
Clear Alternatives LED brakelight
Saddleman Explorer Seat
Kurakyn Levers
VN750.com Grill cover
SCP Coasters
Iridium plugs
MOSFET R/R
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 05:44 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
a quick question, i know its been mentioned a few times, but what is the widest tire we can fit on the back of our bike?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

You are asking the wrong person. I opted to oversize my Pirellis based upon the member posts and reports on this site. As you mention, I also have seen mention of an even wider tire. I can report that the 170/80-15 fits (at least does the Pirelli) without any mods or unreasonable hassles, and that the oversized Pirellis ride and handle better than expected IMO. Honestly, this was the first time I ever even removed a MC tire. And, only after the men and women of this most excellent forum instilled in me the confidence to undertake my own maintenance of our 2 VN750s. The pics were my effort to try and give back. Thank you all for making my post even possible....hope this helps.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 10:29 AM
Undercover Sportbiker

IIRC, there was a thread on this just the other day. I think someone said 180 before you have clearance issues side to side, but I could be wrong.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 11:28 AM
Late to the party

How are the Pirellis when it comes to pavement seam tracking or those wonderful grill bridges? The Metzelers look like they would be better in that respect, but you certainly can't tell for sure just by looking.

'05 VN750 - "Cookie"
My Gallery

Sponsored Links
Advertisement