Lower Shocks - Kickstand Grounding Out - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Ratbiker

Lower Shocks - Kickstand Grounding Out

Added 11" shocks to my bike as part of my ongoing (slowly) bobber project and found something I wasn't expecting. I took a right turn through an intersection and really leaned the bike over scraping the peg. That wasn't unexpected. When I got to work I made a sharp left turn leaning the bike and got a much more jarring grounding.

A friend and I went out to the parking lot and we held the bike down at an angle and I realize that the bracket for the kickstand that's welded to the frame is what scraped. That's obviously a lot more dangerous than scraping pegs. I had it leaned into a lefthander at 60mph this morning but I guess I don't lean as much at speed as I do in 2nd gear.

I think I'll look at the kickstand bracket to see if I can grind any material off safely. Anyone else noticed this?

BTW, The shocks I bought are the MDI/Forsa ones, much cheaper than Progressives and although obviously stiffer than stock they gave me no handling issues. I got them at the link below. Took two days to ship across country, they're the cheapest place i found, AND I got two free jawbreakers.

http://www.tasclassicmotorsports.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 04:51 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
what did you do buy the last set? Where are they located?

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Ratbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
what did you do buy the last set? Where are they located?
Not sure I understand the question. I bought the shocks from the folks in the link I posted. They're in Indiana. The previous shocks were the stock ones.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 05:24 PM

Don't need you to be doing an "Old Dog" into someone's yard! Be really careful while you're figuring out how the bike's gona handle after all the mods. That KZ1000P I had was a tall seater, and lots of folks on the KZP yahoo group was always talking about how to lower the bike. At stock height, I wuz always dragging the floorboards on sharp turns. I saw many threads talking about lowering where the guru's were warning about getting the suspension any lower causing dangerous problems... Just be careful man!

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Ratbiker

I hear yah. Too old with too many dependents to do anything stupid.

I'll watch out for it until I can figure out if the kickstand mount can be suitably modified. Otherwise I'll try maxing out the shock height, although that defeats the purpose a little..
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 08:05 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove_puppy View Post
I hear yah. Too old with too many dependents to do anything stupid.

I'll watch out for it until I can figure out if the kickstand mount can be suitably modified. Otherwise I'll try maxing out the shock height, although that defeats the purpose a little..
Was the purpose because you are "verticaly challenged"?

Did you lower the front end along with the rear?

Seems like the centerstand would touch before the kickstant mount..or at very least the kickstand itself.

You could try putting more preload on the shocks ... or just try taking it a bit easy in those turns. If you want to scrape parts perhaps you should get a bike more suited to carving up twisty roads.

You can add a longer bolt to the footpegs "feeler" so at least that would hit before something solid.

Lowering the bike usualy ends up as a comprimise, you can't have your cake and eat it too as they say...........

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 12:56 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove_puppy View Post
Not sure I understand the question. I bought the shocks from the folks in the link I posted. They're in Indiana. The previous shocks were the stock ones.
they have no more on hand is why I asked if you bought the last set and you answered the other question about them being located in Indiana,That is aneat site got a ton of obsolete stuff on there,I am getting ready to start on an old 1972 CB 750 SOHC and that bike of the month gives me some ideas.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Ratbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Was the purpose because you are "verticaly challenged"?

Did you lower the front end along with the rear?

Seems like the centerstand would touch before the kickstant mount..or at very least the kickstand itself.

You could try putting more preload on the shocks ... or just try taking it a bit easy in those turns. If you want to scrape parts perhaps you should get a bike more suited to carving up twisty roads.

You can add a longer bolt to the footpegs "feeler" so at least that would hit before something solid.

Lowering the bike usualy ends up as a comprimise, you can't have your cake and eat it too as they say...........

KM
The purpose was to make the bob project look cooler is all.

We held the bike over at an angle and the kickstand mount has a piece that sticks out lower than the kick or center stands. Didn't lower the front.

I do realize that the stock bike is pretty sporty for a cruiser and I'm pushing myself into a compromise. Funny, I did think about adding longer bolts under the footpegs.

For now I stiffened the shocks which lifts the rear almost an inch and I'm cornering with relative caution, at least in left turns. Dammit, I want my cake!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
they have no more on hand is why I asked if you bought the last set and you answered the other question about them being located in Indiana,That is aneat site got a ton of obsolete stuff on there,I am getting ready to start on an old 1972 CB 750 SOHC and that bike of the month gives me some ideas.
I would email them. The site said they were out but they had a set. At least they should be able to tell you when they will get more in. You won't find them cheaper.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Ratbiker

Checked more accurately and the kickstand nub is higher than the pegs. I ground it off anyway. I must've hit a high spot on the road. Went for a ride to the coast at the weekend and the pegs scrape too easily set to their lowest so I've jacked the rear back up a half inch which seems like enough. Next I'll remove the center stand to stop it scraping when I hit the sidewalk entering my driveway. It should be a quick refit sans spring for oil changes etc. and grounding the stand means I'm putting load onto the exhaust. :O

Last edited by groove_puppy; 07-01-2009 at 07:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement