Black greese or oil from back wheel on left side - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Question Black greese or oil from back wheel on left side

I just had new tires put on my bike and noticed black greese or oil spinning out of the back wheel on the left side. Is there a seal that I need to replace? What kind of oil or grease do I put in it. It is now starting to squeak when it is cold.

Last edited by Duane Peterson; 06-17-2009 at 10:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 05:36 PM

Any grease on the left side should not be spinning out of the hub... unless of course, the dudes who installed your tire over-greased the splines on the hub.

1996 Vulcan 750
1980 XJ650 Maxim
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 05:40 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

It bothers me that it squeaks when its cold. Have you checked your final drive oil? If its final drive oil you might have a seal leaking.
With the bike on the center stand, and in neutral, can you spin the rear wheel freely? It could be they over adjusted your rear brake and it squeaks until it warms up a bit. Just a thought.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 07:16 PM

As far as the type of oil goes, I believe I use 90 weight gear oil, on the rear final drive casing it should tell you what exact kind of oil to use, I think it says like 80 weight. The manual says that when filling, it should touch the bottom of the threads of fill hole. Filling this can be a little bit of a chore when you don't have a filler tip on the oil bottle. I cut a square out of the flat part of a paper plate and then folded it in half to form a kind of channel when pouring in the gear oil.

1994 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 named Jinba Ittai (Japanese for "Horse and rider in perfect harmony").
Jardine Pipes
Splines Lubricated
Painted Instrument Bezels
Headlight Visor
Chrome engine guard
Leather Fork Bag (contents: Pressure gauge, tools, and a Book of Psalms)
Yuaso MF AGM Motocross battery
Kenda Kruz Front tire
Duro Boulevard rear tire

"Buy the ticket, take the ride."
-Hunter S. Thompson
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Thanks!!!
I appreciate all your help. Is the final drive oil filled in the hub of the rear wheel? I see a plug at about the two oclock location on the left side.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 10:31 AM

you may also have a leak past the big "O" ring if they put anything but Moly 60 in there. I chases that problem for almost a year until I replaced the O ring and used the Moly.

2003 Wine/Gray VN750 bought in 2005 w/2000 Miles
LED Tail/Brakelight & License Plate Light;Chrome Inspection Sticker Plate ;Battery Charging Quick Plug;Kuryakyn LED Battery Voltmeter;Throttle Rocker Palm Rest;Optronics Driving Lamps;KnifeMaker Floor Boards;Halogen Headlamp Bulb;OEM Engine Guard;Iridium Spark Plugs;OEM Luggage rack;Stebel Air Horn;Handlebar Clock; Handlebar Thermometer; Sealed Battery; Marbled; Leather Grip Covers; Rectangular Mirrors

~VROC~ # 389
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 11:01 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemguy View Post
you may also have a leak past the big "O" ring if they put anything but Moly 60 in there. I chases that problem for almost a year until I replaced the O ring and used the Moly.
So are you saying that using something heavier, like wheel bearing grease, will force its way out of the splines?

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 11:16 AM

I had this happen too the first time I pulled my final drive and discovered the eaten up, dry splines. O-ring was flat and I packed moly in there without replacing the o-ring til I could get a replacement final drive. The moly squeezed past the o-ring and some of it got slung around the rim. Made a pretty nasty mess to clean up. I probably over filled with moly that time too. I figure any grease would get past that o-ring if it were flat, or possibly by overloading the splines and coupling, you're gona squeeze some of the moly out just by putting it back together. It has to go somewhere. Don't know how it finds its way outside the case, but it seems to.

Fergy
2002 VN1500 Classic
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 01:01 PM

That's a different issue than what I was talking about. Before the issue was cured I read somewhere on this forum that if you use anything other than the Moly, when it heats up it gets thinner and makes its way past the O ring. The Moly does not thin out. Since my problem went away once the Moly got in there I have to assume that was it.

2003 Wine/Gray VN750 bought in 2005 w/2000 Miles
LED Tail/Brakelight & License Plate Light;Chrome Inspection Sticker Plate ;Battery Charging Quick Plug;Kuryakyn LED Battery Voltmeter;Throttle Rocker Palm Rest;Optronics Driving Lamps;KnifeMaker Floor Boards;Halogen Headlamp Bulb;OEM Engine Guard;Iridium Spark Plugs;OEM Luggage rack;Stebel Air Horn;Handlebar Clock; Handlebar Thermometer; Sealed Battery; Marbled; Leather Grip Covers; Rectangular Mirrors

~VROC~ # 389
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 01:29 PM

I got it. And I agree with ya. I was just saying that if you overload with moly you might get the same greasy mess. Definitely want the moly!

Fergy
2002 VN1500 Classic
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement