Nail in the tire... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Nail in the tire...

I was doing a pre-ride inspection of my bike today and found a nail near the middle of the rear tread. This is why I say a prayer before every ride and why I'm thankful I've got someone watching over me. Since the tire isn't losing any air and the nail is completely flush with the tread, how serious is it. And how much labour should I expect to be charged with when I take it in to be patched or plugged?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 12:02 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Personally. I am not a big fan of plugging bike tires,there is just too much at risk,but if you can't afford a new tire and I realize how that is too,and you must plug the tire break it down and use one of the internal plugs that have a glue on tire patch built in that glues to the inside of the tire casing after the plug is pulled through from the inside out,and are much less likely to cause you problems with leaks or coming out unexpectedly,I do carry my own tire plugging kit but it is for emergency use only.you will probably have to go to a placr thjat repairs truck tires to find the type of plug I am talking about and I 'd say between breaking down and plugging the tire you will be looking at least $30 up to $60 for the good plugs,And anywhere from 10 to 25 for a plain old push in type plug at the service station.It is bad when this happens to a tire that that is almost new but if it is starting to be pretty worn it may be the one who is watching over you getting your attention gently,you Know how He is ,just be thankful either way,He got your attention before some thing bad happened, and say one for us all before you ride,Denny

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

I will for sure. The tire is really fresh actually so I don't want to replace it unless absolutely necessary. Are all motorcycle tires made of nylon like both of mine are?

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 12:42 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

I`ve never yet had to have a tire replaced or repaired, so I don`t know exactly what it costs around here. My guess is between $30-$100, depending on whether I take the tire and wheel off myself, and just take that in to be repaired, or if I take the bike in and have them do the whole job, including lubing the rear splines. If you do not KNOW that the splines have been lubed properly, I would remove the tire/wheel assembly myself, and take that in for repairs, OR use a stopngo mushroom plug repair kit. Then lube the rear splines before reinstalling the rear wheel.

DISCLAIMER:This is what I would do in the same situation, but I will not tell you what you should do.

I would go to www.stopngo.com , and watch and read everything on the website about their mushroom plugs for tubeless tires. For legal reasons, most of the tire makers and the patch/plug makers and tire repair shops tell us that plugs are only a temporary repair, to get you to a shop, for a permenant repair, or preferably a new tire. There are many first hand testimonials on the site of riders who have ridden many thousands of miles more on a tire with this mushroom headed plug installed. They never had it replaced with a permenant plug/patch applied from the inside.

I figure for a cost similar to taking the tire in for repair at a shop, I can purchase one of their plug kits, and have 24 plugs left over for the next nail that I find. The nail is in the middle of the tread so even the tire repair shops agree that is a pretty safe area to repair. If the puncture is in the sidewall, well then it usually is not safe to repair.

So now you know a few options you may consider. You pays your money, and takes your choice. There is help here if you want to tackle this first repair yourself. It is not nearly so difficult as you may think. I`m sure other first timers here will tell you so. If you use the stopngo plugs, you will also learn a skill that may later save a ride. A flat tire that could end a ride , will become no more than a minor inconvienience, and you are back on the road in a few minutes.

EDIT. Denny is a faster typer than me, so posted before I finished. I agree with him 100% on ordinary string or strip plugs, they are only for emergency use. The stopngo mushroom head plug acts more like the patch with a plug that a shop would use.

Also check out stopngo`s engine powered, tire inflation hose that screws into a sparkplug opening.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 05-18-2009 at 12:59 AM.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 01:04 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcRider24 View Post
I will for sure. The tire is really fresh actually so I don't want to replace it unless absolutely necessary. Are all motorcycle tires made of nylon like both of mine are?
I think someone mentioned radial tires for the vn750, but I`m not sure. We may only have the bias-ply, which would be the nylon cords or belts that you refer to.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 01:35 AM

Garage
I have been considering buying one of the kits Ol Hoss is referring to and I don't blame you for not wanting to throw a very good tire aside,you could put a patch on the inside and run a tube although i have never done it e=with a mag type wheel ,the big draw back is with a tube it is usually instant flat .I sat usual because my old electra glide ran one through the tread into the tube and out the side wall and held air. I noticed it at a gas stop and pulled it out ,like a dummy and watched it go flat.I have never used it but there have been several post on here about Ride On tire sealant and it enjoys a pretty good rep on here.Maybe a plug and a can of that will solve your problems ,Like Hoss these are just suggestions you are the one looking at it and depending on it so the decision is yours
,hope I helped in some small way,Denny

VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:

post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 01:42 AM

Garage
OL Hoss you are in a bad way if I out type you I got one of those learn to type with Mavis Beacon CD roms and failed the first lesson and gave that up as an old dog trying to learn a new trick,Pesronally I think Mavis is a smart aleck LOL

VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:

post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 08:23 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
Two things you must rely on with a motorcycle, tires and brakes. I had a screw in the rear of my meanie, flush with the thread, looked pretty safe. Plan was just to ride it home.

This Avon Storm ST56 radial only had 2,000 miles on it. I removed the screw at home and in less than 30 seconds, the tire was flat. Took it off and put on a new one.

It is my feeling that if you disturb the tire plies/belts in any way, you are asking for trouble. A blow out on a bike isn't pretty. It's a personal decision, but that's how I feel about it.

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 09:31 AM

I'm impressed with the quality of each of these posts. Each one clearly states a viewpoint and is not judgemental. So far I find this Forum to be one of the BEST.

57 years experience,Zero accidents. Starting with 1947 Indian Chief. Now VN750 , V65 Magna, Burgman scooter.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 09:45 AM
Drive less, ride more...

About now is probably a good time to introduce some forum members to a product mentioned in earlier, similar threads:

http://www.ride-on.com/test_motorcycle.asp

I'm not necessarily advocating that you apply this product to your tire now that it already has a puncture, but it's good for you to be aware of this stuff, nonetheless (if you're not already).

I don't work for these people, and I'm not a distributor for them either, just a satisfied customer. Great "peace of mind" product for anyone running motorcycle tires--especially if said tires are tubeless!!!

Besides excellent puncture sealing properties, Ride On will also better seal your tires b4 a flat situation so they hold air much better, day-in and day-out.

Avoid the "Slime" brand of tire-seal products for your motorcycle--"Ride On" is the real deal....

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/

Last edited by theauhawk; 05-18-2009 at 09:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement