Rear Shocks Air Balancing - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Rear Shocks Air Balancing

I know that Progressive has a kit to allow to you fill both rear shocks at the same time with air also allowing you to have equal air pressures. The price seems a little high to me. Was wondering if anyone has got the parts seperatly and did it. I know I just need to replace the shocks period, but I can't swing it right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 11:58 AM
Calif Rider

I bought the kit over 3 years ago and I am very satisfied with it. Like you said it is a little pricey. I tried myself to find something that would work but could not find anything. I think you would have to have your own machine shop, or know somebody that works in one.

2004 25,500 miles
Led tail light enhancement
Homemade floor boards
Headlight modulator
Extra heat sink on R+R
R+R relocation
Homemade driver's backrest
Fused Stator
Mcct conversion-cost 4.50
Ride-on in tires
crash bar with home made hyway pegs
iridium plugs
home made fork wind deflectors
coil pickups adjusted.
Kenda kruz tires 110/90 170/80
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 01:40 PM
Old Fart

Garage
23 bucks is a high price?

http://tinyurl.com/rxxkyo

You can buy the various fittings form one of several companies that makes air fittings for air driven components, but you will likely end up spending about the same money when it all adds up.

I didn't put one on my Vulcan cause I thought the way the tubes stuck out and looked were kinda cheezey, but I did have a simular kit on the air shocks on my 76 El Camino SS...which worked well...and on the front forks of my RD400.

My thoughts were adding more fittings to the system would just add more places to develop leaks, as the hoses could get caught or kicked by a passenger getting on/off the bike.

But 23 bucks is a fair price.

Gadjets write up:
http://www.gadgetjq.com/airshockbalance.htm

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 05-17-2009 at 01:44 PM.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

it seems pricey considering what it is. seems like there were would be parts for cheaper.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 03:02 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

To me the biggest problem is airing them up without putting too much in, and then losing it all when you remove the hand pump. There's a hand pump in the J&P cycles catalog that has a built in guage and an inline check valve that supposedly keeps you from having either problem for around $50. IMO that would be a better buy cause you need a good hand pump anyway for this and then you could match the pressure in both sides without adding other fittings/hoses. Again, just my opinion!

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 03:10 PM

You could probably fab one up with some scrap air pumps and some vinyl hose. One nozzle for each shock, a T connector, and a valve cut off a bicycle tire.

Or look on Ebay for a bicycle shock fork. They're small, have gauges and should go for around $15-20.

Scheherazade
'86 VN750
MF Battery, Iridium Plugs, RR relocated, Voltmeter, 170/80/15 Kenda Kruz rear tire, DIY Samsonite hard bags, DIY shaved seat with Beaded seat pad ('cause that's how I roll) and the dreaded STATOR CHANGE.

Shining Black Bess '86 VN750, retired for parts after a fried stator and being knocked (kee-runch) in her parking spot.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 04:41 PM
Love My Baby

I'm very apprehensive about these types of systems that allow you to fill more than one shock (or tire) at the same time because they don't always deliver equal pressure to all shocks (or tires). Many things can affect the distribution of air into something, such as weight, resistence, rust, lubrication, etc.. If you are only measuring the air pressure at the pump, you don't know for sure that there is equal pressure in both shocks. I put nitrogen in all 4 car tires on several vehicles. The dealer deflated/inflated all 4 tires together and measured the air pressure at the pump. I drove off thinking all was well, but my vehicle pulled a bit to one side. So I checked the pressure in all 4 tires and one tire was WAY OFF. I made them due it again and check all tire pressures, same thing. So they did just the one tire by itself after that. I think you're better off doing one shock at a time or rigging something up that includes a gauge for each shock.

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light
Cortech mini tank bag on rear rack
Pirelli MT66 Tires: 110 front / 150 rear
Splines lubed when tires installed at 10,650 miles
Splines lubed again at 14,400 with stubby valve stem install

Place your mouse on the X below and drag to the O

X
Even though you can't see Him, GOD is there! O
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 08:11 PM
Concert connoisseur

Garage
I dont have a hand pump, I do have a cigarette lighter powered tire inflator that takes forever to fill up even a front lawnmower tire. do you think a couple quick shots with it would be too much for the shocks?

1986 vn 750 aka "Huck Farley"
42,000 miles
Rick's stator and rr
Tuxedo stator cover mod
pickup coil mod
dampers replaced
agm m/f battery
Harley sportster exhaust, degoated
Hid conversion
splines lubed
custom "vn750.com" grill cover
NGK Iridium spark plugs

acct to mcct mod https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

rekeying locks, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7309

stator replacement walkthrough, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11369
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 09:08 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyrick View Post
I'm very apprehensive about these types of systems that allow you to fill more than one shock (or tire) at the same time because they don't always deliver equal pressure to all shocks ......

Actualy that is the very advantage of the system. I am not familar with whatever micky mouse device your guys filled your tires with, but I do know that if you take a tube and connect it between two seperate air chambers, the air pressure in each chamber will be exactly the same as the other. This is simple physics and kinda impossible to argue with.

The problem with our air shocks is the volume of air they hold is so small, so attempting to put the exact amount of air in each one is a bit troublesome.
Having a tube that connects between them with one schrader valve to add the air makes it pretty foolproof.

I would guess that in some garage where they use a multiple tire filling tool like you describe, it would be prone to wear, folks stepping on it and other misuses. A clear plastic tube you install new on your bike , actualy use infrequently and have controll of would likely not have these factors to contend with and should work as advertised.

I had such a system on my front of my race bike and it performed flawlessly. The simple physics of it meant that I had the EXACT amount of pressure in each fork, and that is almost impossible to achive with seperate fill valves.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 09:31 PM
Old Truck Junkie

Two ways that I know to get close to the same amount of air is; 1) use and air tank fill tank to what pressure you want and air up one shock and repeat for the other. 2) use a pressure regulator on the compressor and set as dessired pressure and air up shocks.

02 honda sabre 1100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement