Brake Pads Replacement - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 491
iTrader: (1)
 
Question Brake Pads Replacement

Greetings Vulcanites --

I've got the front wheel off and waiting for delivery of Oil/Dust seals to finish replacement of fork oil seals. So, in the meantime I'm replacing the front brake pads. I found out how to remove the old pads by doing a forum search!

The new inboard pad is firmly in place but the outboard pad doesn't seem to attach firmly. If I jiggle the caliper assembly the outboard pad wants to fall out. Is this normal? I haven't tried to put the wheel on yet because I still need to finish the seals. Will I be able to put the pads onto the disk by holding them in place?

Thanx!

Last edited by FlaRider; 01-23-2010 at 10:23 PM.
FlaRider is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 06:22 AM
The Professor
 
lance328's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: BUFORD, GEORGIA
Posts: 3,147
iTrader: (15)
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaRider View Post
Greetings Vulcanites --

I've got the front wheel off and waiting for delivery of Oil/Dust seals to finish replacement of fork oil seals. So, in the meantime I'm replacing the front brake pads. I found out how to remove the old pads by doing a forum search!

The new inboard pad is firmly in place but the outboard pad doesn't seem to attach firmly. If I jiggle the caliper assembly the outboard pad wants to fall out. Is this normal? I haven't tried to put the wheel on yet because I still need to finish the seals. Will I be able to put the pads onto the disk by holding them in place?

Thanx!

Once installed and compressed they will be fine. I do suggest you use Valvoline DOT 4 Synthetic fluid.

Make sure inboard pad is seated properly.


85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Last edited by lance328; 04-25-2009 at 06:24 AM.
lance328 is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 491
iTrader: (1)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lance328 View Post
Once installed and compressed they will be fine. I do suggest you use Valvoline DOT 4 Synthetic fluid.

Make sure inboard pad is seated properly.
Thanx Lance!
FlaRider is offline  
 
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 491
iTrader: (1)
 
Thumbs up UPDATE: Brake Pads Replacement Finished!

Howdy Folks --

I was having withdrawal symptoms from not riding in 2 weeks. Instead, I've been waiting on parts and wrenching to fix the last set of gremlins: leaking seals, fork oil on brake pads, 2nd melted R/R connector.

Everythings is done now including brake pads replacement and bleeding of very old brake fluid (see photo below). I don't think the fluid was EVER changed. One screw on the master cylinder was completely rounded/stripped. I used an extractor/easy out to remove and replace the screw. WOW! It felt great to finally go on a short ride tonight especially after doing all my own wrenching WITH THIS FORUM'S HELP! Everything seems to be working well!

When I removed the old bleed valve to replace it with a speed bleeder the fluid drained much quicker than I expected. Hence, the master cylinder went dry. So, I had to remove the union bolt and bleed the master cylinder--WHAT A FREEKIN MESS !^%*>

NEWBIE TIP: Stand by with an open can of brake fluid--DO NOT let the master cylinder run dry!

Life is good again! At least until the next attack of the gremlins.

My thanx to Lance and everyone for your help in fixing all the many gremlins over the last few weeks!

================================================== ========

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance328 View Post
Once installed and compressed they will be fine. I do suggest you use Valvoline DOT 4 Synthetic fluid.

Make sure inboard pad is seated properly.
Hey Lance --

UPDATE: Still working on the front brakes while waiting for fork seals.

On the right caliper the inboard and outboard pads are both now securely in place.

On the left caliper the inboard pad is securely seated in place; however, I can't get the outboard pad to snap in at all. Also, the space between the two pads seems very narrow. I did remove a bit of brake fluid from the master cylinder to make room for the new pads.

Can I just hold the outboard pad in place when I mount the caliper onto the disk? Will that work?

Thanx!

Last edited by FlaRider; 01-23-2010 at 10:23 PM.
FlaRider is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 08:53 PM
The Professor
 
lance328's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: BUFORD, GEORGIA
Posts: 3,147
iTrader: (15)
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaRider View Post
Hey Lance --

UPDATE: Still working on the front brakes while waiting for fork seals.

On the right caliper the inboard and outboard pads are both now securely in place.

On the left caliper the inboard pad is securely seated in place; however, I can't get the outboard pad to snap in at all. Also, the space between the two pads seems very narrow. I did remove a bit of brake fluid from the master cylinder to make room for the new pads.

Can I just hold the outboard pad in place when I mount the caliper onto the disk? Will that work?

Thanx!

Did you compress the pistons in ALL the way?


85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
lance328 is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 491
iTrader: (1)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lance328 View Post
Did you compress the pistons in ALL the way?

Lance --

I squeezed them really hard and they finally compressed all the way.

Many Thanx!!
FlaRider is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 491
iTrader: (1)
 
Synthetic vs. Non-Synthetic Brake fluid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance328 View Post
Once installed and compressed they will be fine. I do suggest you use Valvoline DOT 4 Synthetic fluid.

Make sure inboard pad is seated properly.

Hey Lance --

What is the advantage of Valvoline DOT 4 Synthetic brake fluid? I stayed with non-synthetic this time but I will upgrade to steel brake lines in the future. I may want to switch to Synthetic at that time.

Thanx!
FlaRider is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 10:41 PM
The Professor
 
lance328's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: BUFORD, GEORGIA
Posts: 3,147
iTrader: (15)
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaRider View Post
Hey Lance --

What is the advantage of Valvoline DOT 4 Synthetic brake fluid? I stayed with non-synthetic this time but I will upgrade to steel brake lines in the future. I may want to switch to Synthetic at that time.

Thanx!
It will not break down by heat and has a higher flash point. Better braking, less spongy feel. Last longer and is less suseptible to absorbe moisture.


85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Last edited by lance328; 04-29-2009 at 11:29 PM.
lance328 is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 10:51 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs
 
750Doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S.E. Michigan
Posts: 2,850
iTrader: (10)
   
FlaRider,

I've been running synthetic in mine for a year now and the brakes still feel real good. You can buy the small bottle pretty cheap and it's enough to flush and fill.

You won't regret using it it. If you do.
750Doug is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 491
iTrader: (1)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Doug View Post
FlaRider,

I've been running synthetic in mine for a year now and the brakes still feel real good. You can buy the small bottle pretty cheap and it's enough to flush and fill.

You won't regret using it it. If you do.
Doug and Lance --

Is there any special procedure for removing all of the non-synthetic fluid? Do you have to change the brake lines?

Thanx for your explanations!
FlaRider is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Once registered, your User Name"cannot be changed". We can make exceptions within 7 days, but after that, it is set in stone.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome