Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
suspension work

Does changing the oil in the shocks,really make a difference,I am a big boy over 250( I know the tree huggers say that us fat people are contributing to "global warming") but what I am concerned about here is suspension bottoming out on places I don't think it should.Today I rode up to Williamson WV on the river road to the Kawasaki shop,Then dropped by my buddies place off employment so we could ride back together,when we left his job we ran across what I call a weather crack in the road that was obviously worse than I thought and THUd,THUD ,both ends bottomed and jarred my back so hard it is still hurting,Ted rides a CBR 1000RR and it didn't affect him at all,I know we are in two completely different riding positions and posture makes a difference in how well we absorb shock,But I was behind him,Imagine that,me being behind that rocket,but at the time we were in a residential area gong very near the posted speed limit of 35 and I never saw his bike move very much at all and I watch for these things when riding behind some one else,Question is will changing shock oil and adding more air, I am running less than 10psi now,and fork oil make much of a difference and if so recommendations , It also gets a little squirrelly when pushed in the twisties,I think I need a better rear shock with some real adjustability built in and some progressive rate springs in front,but until then a cheap fixit for this season is what I am looking for,Denny ( could slow down some ,NOT!!! that is what the Corolla is for)

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 11:37 PM
On His Lady Vulcan

I dont have the answer that youre looking for but I might have another solution for you. I went with putting some Harley Dyna shocks on my ride, it lowered the bike to the desired height (they are available in 13" as well) that I was wanting and it stiffened it up by quite a bit. I no longer get that spoungy feeling when I hit a dip or bump in the road anylonger like I used to with the stock shocks. So if you want a stiffer shock without paying the progressive prices think about the stock Dyna's.

Peace

"You came out of your mom looking like SHlT. She thought you were beautiful. Don't know what scared me most, your looks or her judgment."

Pictures of the "Ladies"
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Thanks man,did you find yours on ebay?

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 11:47 PM

Well I won't admit to being a pro on suspension by any means. But for one, I have read on here that the air pressure should be calculated as 10% of the weight be carried by the bike. Which would include yourself, all the gear that you generally wear, and any accesories, i.d. bags, extended back rest. So if it was 250, it would be 25 psi. You get the idea.
Now I just recently changed the oil in the rear shocks. I went with the 10w fork oil. Personally I think it helped some. I don't bottom out as easily. Now I weigh about 175, and with my gear and accesories about 200. I think the 10w may have been too stiff. I think that maybe the 5w would have been fine. Cuz it would have been clean oil. But I could have mixed and made 7.5w oil. Even today with my wife which with her gears adds about 130, the bad spots in the road were really harsh.
Now I made the mistake this year of doing too many mods before really riding. The mistake here being, is forgetting how things were. And not having my wife on at all before doing these mods. Like the suspension, she doesn't notice a difference, cuz the last time she rode was Nov 1st of last year.
So all in all. Up the psi, change the oil, easy easy and cheap to do. And do like I am doing and save for new shocks. I have seen Progressive's base 412's on sale for a little over $200. and the front springs for $80. The rears are easy to change at least.

Sold 750 (9-09)
Bought '07 900 Classic "LT" (6-09)
Mustand Seat (6-09)
Balanced Carbs (4-09)
Adjusted Mix Screws (4-09)
Drilled Baffles 8 holes (4-09)
R/R Relocated (3-09)
Splines Lubed (3-09)
Metzelers ME880 170/80 in back 100/90 in front (3-09)
Painted flat blak (3-09)
Kuri grips (8-08)
Kuri Longhorn pegs (8-08)
Iridium Plugs (8-08)
Highway bar/ engine guard(FS)
Some saddlebags no idea which ones
Facebook group Vulcan 750 Riders (Invite Only Group)
Facebook ID Eli Gaffke
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 11:48 PM
On His Lady Vulcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
Thanks man,did you find yours on ebay?
Yup, 1500 miles used, $60 shipped. Beats da hell out of $400+ for Progressives.

"You came out of your mom looking like SHlT. She thought you were beautiful. Don't know what scared me most, your looks or her judgment."

Pictures of the "Ladies"
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 12:14 AM

That is a better deal then progressives. But don't a lot of harley guys switch over to progressives cuz the stock shocks suck?

Sold 750 (9-09)
Mustand Seat (6-09)
Balanced Carbs (4-09)
R/R Relocated (3-09)
Splines Lubed (3-09)
Painted flat blak (3-09)
Kuri grips (8-08)
Iridium Plugs (8-08)
Facebook ID Eli Gaffke
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 07:03 AM

well, changing the shock oil is a cheap possebility to modify the shocks. But the vulcan is a motorbike with a technic of 1985 or even earlier. Suspension
became much better in the meantime.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 11:46 AM
On His Lady Vulcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace Bror View Post
That is a better deal then progressives. But don't a lot of harley guys switch over to progressives cuz the stock shocks suck?
Well the way that I see it the Dyna shocks are an improvement over the Vulcan stock shocks. In other words "One mans trash is anothers treasure". Besides, I have discovered, Harley owners seem to always want the highest priced items for their rides, improvement or not.

Peace

Pictures of the "Ladies"
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkrizan View Post
I dont have the answer that youre looking for but I might have another solution for you. I went with putting some Harley Dyna shocks on my ride, it lowered the bike to the desired height (they are available in 13" as well) that I was wanting and it stiffened it up by quite a bit. I no longer get that spoungy feeling when I hit a dip or bump in the road anylonger like I used to with the stock shocks. So if you want a stiffer shock without paying the progressive prices think about the stock Dyna's.

Peace
Wkrizan, did you use the 11" Dynas to lower it? How much lower?

"Shutting up rarely leads to anything bad"

Joe McAdoo
Springfield, MO
[email protected]
VROC # 28175
-2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic 22000 miles
-1995 VN750 (Back home again!) 25000 miles
-1995 Suzuki DR350 Dualsport 1720 miles
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkrizan View Post
Well the way that I see it the Dyna shocks are an improvement over the Vulcan stock shocks. In other words "One mans trash is anothers treasure". Besides, I have discovered, Harley owners seem to always want the highest priced items for their rides, improvement or not.
Good point. I know the OCC boys use progressive in all their bike builds though. They also use the Metzeler ME880 tires too.

Like the helmets they get are actually made by KBC. Kinda funny too. All American Company, helmet with our LOGO, made in Korea.

Sold 750 (9-09)
Mustand Seat (6-09)
Balanced Carbs (4-09)
R/R Relocated (3-09)
Splines Lubed (3-09)
Painted flat blak (3-09)
Kuri grips (8-08)
Iridium Plugs (8-08)
Facebook ID Eli Gaffke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement