Tires to purchase suggestions ?? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Question Tires to purchase suggestions ??

Hey everyone..Im looking to purchase some new tires for my ride . just wondering what is a good tire, brand, to go with? I was looking at the DUNLOP D404 tires but not to sure. I'll be doing a lot of long distance riding this summer and I would like a decent tire.. agn any Suggestions would be greatly appreciated
thanks .
Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 06:55 PM

I personally like the Dunlop’s, some folks say the “travel” a bit over grooved surfaces etc, but I haven’t been riding long enough to make a ton of comparisons. BikeBandit.com sells the pair for about $165. They even have the whitewall version which IMO looks awesome. I bought a pair when I got the bike and just bought another rear tire because I ran over the biggest screw ever and I don’t trust leaving a plugged tire for very long. The other brand I hear folks talk a lot about is Shinko.
Hope that helps
Frank Loria likes this.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 07:18 PM

My opinion, the next oversize tire is the way to go.

I got 6000 miles out of the Shinko on the rear of mine, still ride-able, but smooth except for the chicken strips. Wouldn't be afraid to buy them again, but I figured I would try the Shinko 777, it has a slightly higher load rating than the Tourmaster which I felt handled well.

Got the pair of Shinko Tourmaster for $125 on ebay.

Did a lot of shopping last year, but never did buy. If you dig enough, you'll see almost all manufacturers have a problem at some point. Avon, Continental, Metzeler, etc. have all had something at some point. People said I was going to die with the Shinko, but ...

I'll probably have to start over with shopping, all the tire models have probably changed. Dunlop must still have the 404 though.
roadpouring and Frank Loria like this.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 07:34 PM

Yep they still make em. Like I said I just got another one because of the plug. Should have the bike back tomorrow. I couldn’t justify getting the whitewalls because the front tire is less than a year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	357A26FD-1EBD-4D59-A15A-BB76562A5E09_1580427135531.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	47181  
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you..for your input..
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 11:15 PM
Vulcantim

I bought Metzler ME888 Ultra Marathons 2 years ago. I like them. No problems at all. 15k miles and still have lots more to go.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Loria View Post
Hey everyone..Im looking to purchase some new tires for my ride . just wondering what is a good tire, brand, to go with?
Frank
I've ridden three sets so far with only Dunlop 404 on front and back and I'm more than happy.

Dave
----------------
2005 Vulcan 750
Odometer @ October, 2019: 14,200
Purchased May, 2011 @ 2,172
Splines lubed @ 2,962 (were in good shape)
Küryakyn Daily Tour Bag
SS-28 Slipstreamer Smoke
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 06:39 PM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

I had Dunlop 404's on my Honda. I liked them. but on my wife's and my Vulcans, I had Metzlers.

my advice is, whatever brand up pick up, up size the tires. buy the next size up from the stock size tire. don't worry, they will fit.
OleDirtyDoc and Frank Loria like this.

if it goes vroom or boom, I LIKE IT!
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 09:56 AM

Red face Kenda Kruz K673 Motorcycle Street Rear Tire - 170/80H-15

I just ordered Kenda Kruz K673 Motorcycle Street Rear Tire - 170/80H-15 for $76.88 (w /free shipping) from Amazon.com on 1/31/20 and it arrived just a few days later on 2/4/20. Going to have it mounted and balanced today. The reviews on this forum as well as on Amazon were very positive. And the price was really great!

My local motorcycle shop will mount & balance for only $35 as I plan to remove the tire and take it to them. Also plan to relube the drive shaft splines and clean/inspect the rear brakes.

NOTE: my previous rear tire was a Michelin Commander II 150/90 B15 which came with the bike when I bought it used. I personally put ~12,000 miles on that tire. No idea how many miles were put on it before I bought it but it appeared to be quite new. It was a very good tire. I literally ran it down to steel belts showing in some spots before I realized how thin it had gotten (see pic). I would have bought the same tire but prices ranged from $190-$235 and I just didn't have the $ at the time.

I searched and compared prices with Amazon.com, bikeandbandit.com, revzilla.com and jpcycles.com. Amazon had the best prices and free shipping.

I opted to bump up from the 150/90 to the 170/80 but for no particular reason.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200201_194041.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	47191  
Frank Loria likes this.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger View Post
I had Dunlop 404's on my Honda. I liked them. but on my wife's and my Vulcans, I had Metzlers.

my advice is, whatever brand up pick up, up size the tires. buy the next size up from the stock size tire. don't worry, they will fit.
Just curious - why to you (and some others) recommend going up a size?

Old Bike: 2006 VN750 - Sold

Current Bike: 2007 Yamaha V-Star 1300 Tourer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement