Tires to purchase suggestions ?? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eusjma View Post
Just curious - why to you (and some others) recommend going up a size?
You didn't ask me, but better ride and handling, as well as the oversize front tire corrects the speedometer to near perfect (within 1mph), instead of the +5mph with the stock size tire. On the stock size front tire, speedo reads 5mph faster than you're actually traveling.

Taller rear tire gives a very small change to the rear gear ratio, slightly less rpm at a given speed. (engine loves to rev anyway).

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 03:34 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eusjma View Post
Just curious - why to you (and some others) recommend going up a size?
What he said^

And, having more rubber contacting the road is always good
OleDirtyDoc and Frank Loria like this.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 05:35 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I would absolutely NOT recommend a size. The oem sizes are perfect for this bike. I would also not recommend using Metzeler ME880s. I had a rear one literally come apart. Half the tread came off while riding. It was properly balanced and nowhere near worn out. Also avoid buying tires from Dennis Kirk. They sold me a 4 year old tire. I installed it, and was unable to get the bead to seat. I took it to a local independent shop, and they couldn't get it to seat either. I watched them try. Then they checked the tire and found out it was 4 years old.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 07:24 PM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
What he said^

And, having more rubber contacting the road is always good
I agree with that! true that Yo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VN750Rider/Jerry View Post
I would absolutely NOT recommend a size. The oem sizes are perfect for this bike. I would also not recommend using Metzeler ME880s. I had a rear one literally come apart. Half the tread came off while riding. It was properly balanced and nowhere near worn out. Also avoid buying tires from Dennis Kirk. They sold me a 4 year old tire. I installed it, and was unable to get the bead to seat. I took it to a local independent shop, and they couldn't get it to seat either. I watched them try. Then they checked the tire and found out it was 4 years old.
I beg to differ on the oem size vs. up size. with the up sided front tire, not only does it correct the speedo, but it also kept the front tire form "tracking", when riding on roads that had been graded from being under construction. unlike the oem size, that would just follow those groves all over the damn road!
and then there is always the fact that "wider is better" (more rubber on the road). as KM, has pointed out.

with the up sided rear tire, it will lower the RPM's at highway speeds, again is wider (more rubber on the road, better traction), and also, enable the bike to have a higher cargo capacity.

so, with all that being said, I just can't bring myself to say that the oem size is "perfect".

now, as for the Metzler's?.....my wife and I, we both have gone through 2 pairs each, on our Vulcans. never had a problem. but, I do know of at least one other person that did have a problem with them. no where anywhere near the problem you had, but still, they had problems with the Metzler brand.
and just to be clear here, in no way, was I, suggesting, to any one, that Metzler tire's should be the brand to buy. I was just stating that, that was the brand that worked well for my wife and I, and that we were happy with them. nothing more.

now as where to buy tires form? I have had found that Rocky Mountain ATV/MC, not only have had the lowest prices, but really fast, free shipping.

if it goes vroom or boom, I LIKE IT!

Last edited by ruger; 02-07-2020 at 07:41 PM.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 02:56 AM
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)

Garage
So a 160/90-15 rear tire would drop the freeway rpm's some? Sounds like more mileage to me. However I have not been able to locate any 160/90-15 rear tire.

TOC MCCTs
Saddlebags, hard mounted
Fork mounted tool bag (now hard mounted)
Relocated rear turn signals
LED turn signals, brake lights and running lights
LED license plate frame
Engine Guard and Highway pegs
National Cycles Low Boy Heavy Duty windshield
Home made lowers (nice)
Custom seat (made by a local guy)
Iridium plugs (DPR7EIX-9)
Shenko 230 Tour Master tires at 11,123 miles
Splines lubed at 11,123 miles
Luggage rack
Light bar with LED lights
Progressive 412 shocks

Last edited by Chris and Shim; 02-08-2020 at 03:41 PM.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 11:56 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

IMO, the rear tire on the Vulcan 750 is already too big, and should have probably been a 130/90-15. I suspect it was used for looks back when those big fat tires were in style. I still 100% prefer a tire with a WIDE sidewall compared to a narrow sidewall. Many of the tires they are using on newer bikes and cars pretty much have no sidewall, just tread wrapped around a HUGE diameter REEHUUM (in ghetto speak) But a really big tire on a motorcycle is heavy, and creates a lot of rolling resistance. A too big tire on the front will have a negative effect on handling. Big heavy tires are also harder to balance properly. Just look at the tires on the original CB750. They look like bicycle tires compared to the Vulcan. 300mm wide rear tires got popular on those "custom built" choppers in the '90s. But look at a REAL chopper, like Peter Fonda's bike in Easyrider, and you will see a MUCH smaller rear tire.

The front tire I originally got for my '97 Vulcan 750 from Dennis Kirk was a Bridgestone Exedra G721, which I believe was the oem tire that came on my 2002 Vulcan 750, and I got 20,000 miles out of it. It turned out to be defective (and 4 years old) and the new front tire I got to replace it with was a stock size Dunlop Elite 4. It rides fine, only time will tell how it holds up.

I installed a Bridgestone Exedra G526 in the stock size on the rear. It went on fine and feels fine. Since the front tire was 4 years old, the rear one may be too. I haven't checked. It IS the same tire that came stock on the 2002 model, and like the original front, lasted 20,000 mostly highway miles. I doubt I will ever wear these tires out, I can't do long distance riding like I used to.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 09:53 AM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris and Shim View Post
So a 160/90-15 rear tire would drop the freeway rpm's some? Sounds like more mileage to me. However I have not been able to locate any 160/90-15 rear tire.
Go to a 170/80-15:and a 100/90-19

Sent from my 100005206 using Tapatalk

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog

Last edited by OleDirtyDoc; 02-11-2020 at 11:34 AM.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 09:57 AM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by VN750Rider/Jerry View Post
IMO, the rear tire on the Vulcan 750 is already too big, and should have probably been a 130/90-15. I suspect it was used for looks back when those big fat tires were in style. I still 100% prefer a tire with a WIDE sidewall compared to a narrow sidewall. Many of the tires they are using on newer bikes and cars pretty much have no sidewall, just tread wrapped around a HUGE diameter REEHUUM (in ghetto speak) But a really big tire on a motorcycle is heavy, and creates a lot of rolling resistance. A too big tire on the front will have a negative effect on handling. Big heavy tires are also harder to balance properly. Just look at the tires on the original CB750. They look like bicycle tires compared to the Vulcan. 300mm wide rear tires got popular on those "custom built" choppers in the '90s. But look at a REAL chopper, like Peter Fonda's bike in Easyrider, and you will see a MUCH smaller rear tire.

The front tire I originally got for my '97 Vulcan 750 from Dennis Kirk was a Bridgestone Exedra G721, which I believe was the oem tire that came on my 2002 Vulcan 750, and I got 20,000 miles out of it. It turned out to be defective (and 4 years old) and the new front tire I got to replace it with was a stock size Dunlop Elite 4. It rides fine, only time will tell how it holds up.

I installed a Bridgestone Exedra G526 in the stock size on the rear. It went on fine and feels fine. Since the front tire was 4 years old, the rear one may be too. I haven't checked. It IS the same tire that came stock on the 2002 model, and like the original front, lasted 20,000 mostly highway miles. I doubt I will ever wear these tires out, I can't do long distance riding like I used to.
Comparing Henry Fonda's chopper or a first generation cb 750 to any motorcycle made after 1980 is like comparing grapes to the empire State building. A 140 tire isn't really that wide, as a 170 isn't either

Sent from my 100005206 using Tapatalk

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 10:27 AM

Rear - Upsize 170/80 - 15
Front - Upsize 110/90 - 19
https://www.vn750.com/forum/27-wheel...de-side-7.html

This isn't a huge increase in tire weight, we're not talking Super Swampers.

I've always up-sized when I bought new tires, never regretted it, even on Honda CBs. The oversize that fits this bike is nowhere near 300mm which is almost 12". I've yet to see anyone say that the next size up ruined their handling, but many have said they liked the new handling.
OleDirtyDoc likes this.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 12:34 PM
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)

Garage
I wish I could see a side-by-side comparison of the 170/80-15 next to the 150/90/15. If that's what you run Spockster then I know it'll fit mine as mine still has the factory tire-to-fender clearance.

I'm also curious about the difference in tire weights.

The main thrust behind making such a change for me is to get better freeway MPG/range.

TOC MCCTs
Saddlebags, hard mounted
Fork mounted tool bag (now hard mounted)
Relocated rear turn signals
LED turn signals, brake lights and running lights
LED license plate frame
Engine Guard and Highway pegs
National Cycles Low Boy Heavy Duty windshield
Home made lowers (nice)
Custom seat (made by a local guy)
Iridium plugs (DPR7EIX-9)
Shenko 230 Tour Master tires at 11,123 miles
Splines lubed at 11,123 miles
Luggage rack
Light bar with LED lights