Did my first ever fork removal and teardown today, after a week of studying and driving people nuts with questions (the exploded view in the Clymers showing all those dam parts is pretty interesting). Like everything else the first is the worst, so the first tube from removal to re-install took about 2 hours. Turns out the cap and it's clip I've read so much about was pretty dam easy; I've got that part down to a science and probably 2 minutes max to R & R.
When I took the first tube apart to pull it apart, that old seal was really attached in there, so I struggled with that for a while and when it finally did let go, parts went flying, and so did the "verbage".
(my wife came running out of the house thinking I was hurt LOL)
Finally got it all reassembled and then had fits getting the correct amount of fluid in it, that part alone took me about 40 minutes. (Freakin OCD is like an anchor sometimes)
I learned alot from the first tube though, so then the other tube took about 45 minutes from removal to installing and that included breaking an allen wrench, and throwing some more metaphors around.
All in all though, not a bad job, and a good thing too, because that old fluid and those seals were every bit of 20 years old (OEM) and needed help bad, and man does the front end feel better now, from just a simple fluid change. (took the majority advice here and went with the Bel-Ray 15W)
The feel through the bars is better, and more firm, and alot less diving under braking.
It's cool when you do some work on the bike and besides the peace of mind, you can actually feel some improvement IMO, and for all of you I pestered via PM, thanks for taking the time, it helped me alot get through the first one.