Tale of the Forks - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Tale of the Forks

Did my first ever fork removal and teardown today, after a week of studying and driving people nuts with questions (the exploded view in the Clymers showing all those dam parts is pretty interesting). Like everything else the first is the worst, so the first tube from removal to re-install took about 2 hours. Turns out the cap and it's clip I've read so much about was pretty dam easy; I've got that part down to a science and probably 2 minutes max to R & R.

When I took the first tube apart to pull it apart, that old seal was really attached in there, so I struggled with that for a while and when it finally did let go, parts went flying, and so did the "verbage". (my wife came running out of the house thinking I was hurt LOL)

Finally got it all reassembled and then had fits getting the correct amount of fluid in it, that part alone took me about 40 minutes. (Freakin OCD is like an anchor sometimes)

I learned alot from the first tube though, so then the other tube took about 45 minutes from removal to installing and that included breaking an allen wrench, and throwing some more metaphors around.

All in all though, not a bad job, and a good thing too, because that old fluid and those seals were every bit of 20 years old (OEM) and needed help bad, and man does the front end feel better now, from just a simple fluid change. (took the majority advice here and went with the Bel-Ray 15W)

The feel through the bars is better, and more firm, and alot less diving under braking.

It's cool when you do some work on the bike and besides the peace of mind, you can actually feel some improvement IMO, and for all of you I pestered via PM, thanks for taking the time, it helped me alot get through the first one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 12:12 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

Good going Doug. I bet mine are in the same condition. I`ll probably be pestering you for advice in a couple of months.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 03:41 AM Thread Starter

That's ok; pay it forward and such.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 05:10 AM
The Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Doug View Post
Did my first ever fork removal and teardown today, after a week of studying and driving people nuts with questions (the exploded view in the Clymers showing all those dam parts is pretty interesting). Like everything else the first is the worst, so the first tube from removal to re-install took about 2 hours. Turns out the cap and it's clip I've read so much about was pretty dam easy; I've got that part down to a science and probably 2 minutes max to R & R.

When I took the first tube apart to pull it apart, that old seal was really attached in there, so I struggled with that for a while and when it finally did let go, parts went flying, and so did the "verbage". (my wife came running out of the house thinking I was hurt LOL)

Finally got it all reassembled and then had fits getting the correct amount of fluid in it, that part alone took me about 40 minutes. (Freakin OCD is like an anchor sometimes)

I learned alot from the first tube though, so then the other tube took about 45 minutes from removal to installing and that included breaking an allen wrench, and throwing some more metaphors around.

All in all though, not a bad job, and a good thing too, because that old fluid and those seals were every bit of 20 years old (OEM) and needed help bad, and man does the front end feel better now, from just a simple fluid change. (took the majority advice here and went with the Bel-Ray 15W)

The feel through the bars is better, and more firm, and alot less diving under braking.

It's cool when you do some work on the bike and besides the peace of mind, you can actually feel some improvement IMO, and for all of you I pestered via PM, thanks for taking the time, it helped me alot get through the first one.
I feel you pain or at least I will be feeling your pain. I have Known for quite some time this day would come. My left fork seal went from very slight moisture to I frikin give up! Seals will be here monday and I am sure the foul language will soon follow. LOL

I still have not decided on 10w or 15w oil, I changed my oil in 01' before the complete rebuild and have since lost too many brain cells to rember what oil I used.

As with you I had no problem removing the retainer clip, I did mine on the bike.

I am sure after 24 years these seals will put up a fight!!!

Since all of the horrer stories of flying parts I will wrap with plastic and tape the ends before I seperate the slider.

I will post results soon.

85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Last edited by lance328; 04-12-2009 at 05:13 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Yeah Lance, I hear you. One of my dust seals was just wiped out, and let water into the oil seal area. The oil seal, and it's retainer ring wear pretty well corroded into the fork tube, so it took alot of effort to separate and that's part of how I ended up flinging parts; I had to pull on the tube so hard that when they separated they came very far apart when the seal finally let go.

The second tube I laid a big towel over everything so the parts wouldn't fling, and saved a bunch of time right there.

As far as the fluid goes, in the Verses, somebody wrote up which fluid works best for rider weight, so I went by that. (15W if your 185lbs or more) and then just used the Bel-Ray because it's the most talked about around here.

I think I might just change me fluid again at the end of summer after letting this stuff rinse away any thing I may have missed, as changing the fluid can be done without any drama.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 12:34 PM

My right seal is weeping a bit, was thinking of replacing them over the winter, but never got around to it. Now that it riding season I don't want to have to disassembly to see what needs to be replaced and wait to order new parts.

Is there a list of parts that should be replaced?

Glenn Douglas
Londonderry, NH
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 12:43 PM
The Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDouglas View Post
My right seal is weeping a bit, was thinking of replacing them over the winter, but never got around to it. Now that it riding season I don't want to have to disassembly to see what needs to be replaced and wait to order new parts.

Is there a list of parts that should be replaced?
Fork seals, dust seals, upper retaining ring and fork oil.You can get from Ma Kaw or the link below.

SEALS

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawas...Q5fAccessories

OIL

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motor...Q5fAccessories

SNAP RING #92033-1201

85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Last edited by lance328; 04-16-2009 at 06:53 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 06:05 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance328 View Post
Fork seals, dust seals, upper retaining ring and fork oil.You can get from Ma Kaw or the link below.

SEALS

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawas...Q5fAccessories

OIL

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motor...4506.m20.l1116

SNAP RING #92033-1201
Neither link comes up for me. Says this page is no longer available.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 06:53 PM
The Professor

They work now.

85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 02:20 AM

doug , i might have to let you show me how to do the fork seals one weekend in may . i will have to see how the money situation is in may . i will let you know when me meet up some time soon. allways like to have someone looking over my shoulder when i am doing something i havent done before, never know what questions i might have .

DRAGONRIDER
RIDE LONG AND RIDE SAFE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement