Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Stripped Brake Reservoir Bolts

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Firstbike750 
#1 ·
I'm in the process of flushing my front brakes and I stripped out the front brake reservoir bolts. Suggestions on getting them out and what replacements have you guys used if I don't want to purchase replacement OE bolts.

Thanks!

#2 ·
One of mine was stripped by a PO. I had to use a small EZ Out to remove it. Take the good one to a hardware store that sells metric bolt and screws. Get two stainless the same size.

EZ Outs are sold at most places they sell tools. Harbor Freight, Sears, Home Depot etc. Probably at auto parts stores also.

#3 ·
#4 ·
I would drill the heads off, remove the cover. and use visegrips to remove the part sticking up out of the reservoir. These screws are VERY soft, and you have to be VERY careful working on them. If you break them off flush with the reservoir, the reservoir is ruined. I would replace them with stock ones, they have tapered heads that fit into countersunk holes. I suppose you could use flat head screws that cover the entire top of the hole, or put a washer under them. I doubt you will find screws in the U.S. with the same taper. They are not expensive. I had the cover off on my '02 at least 7-8 times and never damaged the screws. But I bought it new and used the right size screwdriver, and didn't overtighten them. Also, on a bike that is left outside, screws like that will corrode, making them almost impossible to get out.

#6 ·
There are a few questions that must be answered before you could get a true and complete answer. Why do you say the reservoir will no longer work? Is there a blockage in the line and the problem is not the reservoir itself. there could be a blockage in the reservoir or the line that is causing the problem. I believe there was someone that rebuilt their reservoir on this forum but I myself would locate the actual problem myself first. Find where the actual problem is. Disconnect the line at the end away from the reservoir and see if there is any fluid being pumped and if not disconnect at the reservoir and try to see if there is any fluid action. If there was a large amount of cud in the bowl if might have been forced into the passage to the brakes and causing a blockage.

#7 ·
A bolt snapped flush with the mechanism that attaches it to the handlebar. I have a spare one and am trying to rebuild it at this point. I need to replace the sight glass and use a rebuild kit. I actually saw the post in which it is rebuilt thank you for pointing me in that direction.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.