Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Stripped suspension stud

I was putting my rear tire on amd I loosened the right side rear shock for more clearance. As I retightened the top, it it felt like it stripped out. Now, turning the nut either way doesn't do anything. It simply rotates. I can't tell if it is the nut or the stud that is stripped.

HELP! What do I do now?

'89 VN750 Bought stock 4/12/18 @ 17805.9 miles $800. Wrecked once. 27454.5+ miles

Completed modifications:
Removed mufflers, straight pipes out of GB. 110/90 Front Tire. Pick-up coil mod. Shindengen MOSFET FH020AA r/r. USB Outlet + Voltmeter. Repainted Metallic Blue w/ new tank bages. Ear Shave (wo/ coasters) 40/140 NO shims 45MPG. MCCT conversion.

Planned modifications:
Custom LED turn signals. Windshield. Highway Pegs. (Possible) ignition adv. Tuxedo Mod. Ignition coil mod.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 10:13 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

They are typically chromed dome nuts.
When there aren't enough spacers(washers) on the stud, the stud bottoms out inside the nut and they strip either the stud or the nut or both.
Probably the best thing is to clamp a pair of vise grips firmly on the nut and pull hard while turning the nut counterclockwise.

*Edit: Clamp the vise grip pliers inline(parallel) with the stud so that you can make continuous revolutions while pulling on the nut.

Hopefully the remaining threads will engage and the nut will come off.
Hopefullly it's the nut that is stripped and you can replace it.
If so, be sure there are adequate spacers and tighten it just snug but don't over tighten.

If you get the nut off, smooth up burrs on the stud with a three cornered file before putting a new nut on. Remove as little material as possible.

The new nut doesn't have to be a dome nut. You can get the appropriate metric nut at an automotive parts store or hardware.
I'm not close to my bike so I don't know right off what size mm it is.
You could take off the left nut to match one.

"I need yo clothes, yo boots and yo motocycle."- Uncle Bob

Last edited by roadpouring; 03-22-2019 at 01:00 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 10:42 PM

If you can't get the nut off, you may have to slice partway through the nut with an abrasive cutoff wheel, cutting parallel with the stud on two sides. Don't cut into the stud. Then try again with the vise grip pliers. The nut will collapse enough to reengaged the threads or might even peel off. Be sure to cover the bike everywhere. The spark metal will adhere to what ever it touches on the bike.

You could buy a 'nut splitter' and try that, too.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 03:22 PM

It's a 10mm x 1.25 nut.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 12:20 AM

If the stud is stripped, you could use a 10mm shaft collar to replace the retention nut.

They are available in zinc coated steel and stainless steel.
The set screw type might be more dependable than the two piece.
There might even be room on the stud for two collars, just in case.
I think I'd go with two stainless set screw collars.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ollar&_sacat=0

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 07:53 PM
Old Fart

Garage
If the stud is stripped, you can also just cut off the threaded part, drill and tap the rest of the stud for a 6mm bolt. Basically the nut and washer are there to just keep the shock from slipping off the stud, which doesn't require much force, as it really can't do that unless the bottom nut is missing too.
If your not sure what I mean, after you get the nut off, try pulling the shock off the stud.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
If the stud is stripped, you can also just cut off the threaded part, drill and tap the rest of the stud for a 6mm bolt. Basically the nut and washer are there to just keep the shock from slipping off the stud, which doesn't require much force, as it really can't do that unless the bottom nut is missing too.
If your not sure what I mean, after you get the nut off, try pulling the shock off the stud.
Thanks!
As is, the nut is still compressing the lock washer.
This is after the threads were stripped AND one flat of the nut was ground down to the threads.

I also just saw the sticky post about a broken stud.
I often access the forums from my phone, and by default, the sticky posts don't show up.

'89 VN750 Bought stock 4/12/18 @ 17805.9 miles $800. Wrecked once. 27454.5+ miles

Completed modifications:
Removed mufflers, straight pipes out of GB. 110/90 Front Tire. Pick-up coil mod. Shindengen MOSFET FH020AA r/r. USB Outlet + Voltmeter. Repainted Metallic Blue w/ new tank bages. Ear Shave (wo/ coasters) 40/140 NO shims 45MPG. MCCT conversion.

Planned modifications:
Custom LED turn signals. Windshield. Highway Pegs. (Possible) ignition adv. Tuxedo Mod. Ignition coil mod.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 01:42 AM

I like the shaft collar idea better. I wouldn't cut the stud. It can be repaired by welding on more metal, then grinding it round, and retapping the original sized threads on it. You may not want to do that now, but leaving the stud there would make it much easier to properly repair the frame later.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
With the help of one FAR more skilled than myself, he cut off the stripped portion and welded on a new threaded portion. The weight bearing portion of the stud was left intact, minus a 1/8" (1/4" deep) alignment hole in the center.

Thanks everyone!
roadpouring likes this.

Completed modifications:

Planned modifications:
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, the weld broke the first time I tightened the nut! We welded it again and it broke again. So we drilled it out and tapped it for a 5/16" fine thread bolt. I asked for metric, and nearly got thrown out of the shop....so.....standard it is!

Either way, this should hold. There are two spacer washers and the original lock washer holding the top of the shock on.

Thanks everyone!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0428191751_1556491908479.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	45787  

Completed modifications:

Planned modifications:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement