Sag - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Sag

Does anybody know how to adjust the suspension sag? Iíve read on the manual to just open the valve core and let it breath basically. Just trien to be safe and I donít really know much about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 09:44 AM
Old Fart

Garage
In theory, the rear shocks should "sag" about 3/4" when you sit on the bike. Achieving this really seems to matter how much you weigh and how worn the shocks are. Many here just fill their shocks with about 10% of their weight in psi, meaning you weigh 180 pounds you put 18 psi in each shock.

Make sure you don't use a high pressure hose and don't over fill (I think max is 40psi, but you should check the manual on this)

As there is no real preload adjustment on the springs, setting the sag can be problematic, especially if you are very light (under 150lbs) or very heavy (over 280)
My solution was to replace them with Progressive shocks.

I'd add that I wouldn't be too concerned with setting the sag to some specific ideal. The Vulcan is a cruiser, not a sport bike, and although it is a lot "sportier" than other cruisers out there, you're better off setting your suspension for the best comfortable ride rather than optimum handling.
If you're looking to make it the best canyon cutter you can, plan on spending some $$$ for better suspension components...

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 02-10-2019 at 10:27 AM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 11:47 AM

Max pressure for the rear shock is 43 psi. Manual gives a usable range of 0 to 43 psi.

I think the damper adjustment may slightly lower ride height, but at the risk of bottoming out on harder bumps. I couldn't use lower than '3' without hitting bottom, which is very dangerous.

Playing with air pressure and damper settings may allow using the lower damper settings. But you have to be careful in finding out.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement