Tips for bleeding/flushing brakes - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

1Likes
  • 1 Post By cglennon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Tips for bleeding/flushing brakes

So before I left for work today I popped of the reservoir cap for my brakes. (Planned on flushing them this weekend, previous owner didn't say much about maintenance on the bike) I discovered little to no fluid and it looked like it had gelled up into little balls on the seal. The seal itself looked good though. I'm hoping it's not like that in the entire system. Was just wondering if anybody had any tips for gravity bleeding the front brakes? And any suggestions on how best to clean up the gel mess?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 09:29 AM

Flush them good, gravity would work but I chose to flush mine with the handle when I did it, the fluid was brown and chunky. After you've got good fresh fluid throughout (don't forget to bleed out of both calipers) it's typical for the handle to be mushy. Top off the fluid, close the reservoir, and tie the handle back as far as it will go and leave it overnight (a cloth belt or bungee should work well). This will bleed out all the micro bubbles in the system and help to firm up the brake pedal.

Earshave+Rejet (38/135) NGK Iridiums MCCT Conversion Slipstreamer S03 Windshield Custom Extended Backrest Custom Highway Bars MOSFET R/R LED Underglow Volt+USB In-Dash Two-Wire & Blue-Wire Mod Satin Black Engine Paint Dampers Parts - Jets: Main=99101-393(#132 stock)/Pilot=n424-22 Pilot(#38 stock)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 07:48 PM
NewB to Vulcans

Whatever you do don't get air in the lines, its nearly impossible to get bubbles out of this system.

'99 Vulcan "Victoria"

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 11:28 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to cglennon
I'm a big fan of Speed Bleeder valves on all my vehicles. They make 1 man brake flushing and bleeding fast and easy. Speed Bleeders allow you to focus on monitoring the fluid level in the reservoir, rather than opening and closing the bleeder valve.
roadpouring likes this.

Chris Glennon - Portland, OR
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Just finished it up had some pretty nasty gunk come out along with the fluid. Lever feel didn't really change to much. It's still super stiff but now at least I know the fluid is clean and is actually there
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 05:16 PM

I got the same problem with my front brakes, I flush near a 500ml off brakefluid , and my bike just slows when I push like 4 or 5 times ( on testing roads) , I was wondering changing the entire sistem
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 10:45 PM

Age will do that. Most manufacturers recommend flushing every 2 years...
Mixing silicone and acid-base brake fluids will tell up too.
Dot 3-4 will not mix with dot five.
Read the cap!
Clorine based brake cleaner works best, just don't get it on hot engine parts... Instant mustard gas

I would recommend disassembling and washing
at least the master cylinder. If not the calipers too.
Compressed air helps clear lines...
Make sure the bleed back hole is clear, I often drill them out with a pin vice by hand. But then you need to hone the bore...
Be smart to have a rebuild kit(s) on hand, if needed. But I have gotten away with reusing rubber seals, if the fluids did not mix...

My favorite bleeding method is to use a big syringe and push the bubbles up from the bottom.
They sell them as brake bleeder kits, but I have used children's medicine syringes in a pinch.

Replacing rubber lines with nylon core "braided" line increases brake effect greatly!

Once the pads get soaked with brake fluid from a leaky caliper, there's not much for it but to get new pads.
Make sure and clean/grease the caliper float pins! Anti seize mork great here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement