Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

3Likes
  • 3 Post By Knifemaker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Front End Noise

I said noise but its more I feel it in the bars,grips. I started to notice a "thic,thic,thic" feeling in the bars,grips when I apply the front breaks. I can't really hear it,more you feel it. I put it on the center stand and grabbed the forks to check the triple tree mount..tight,no play.Checked the discs,pads nothing loose or damaged that I can see. This only happens when I apply front brake and doesn't affect the ride,handling,stopping.... I thought maybe wheel bearings??? Any ideas on how to check if it is the bearings?? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 02:17 AM

Something in your rotor/s. Have you changed brake fluid lately?

2000 VN750
Digital voltmeter
Lubed spline (5k)
New tires (5k)
Pick up coils to .20mm
K&N air&oil filters
Relocate R&R
2 wire mod
Iridium plugs (7.2k)
Change oil and filter (8.6k)
Removal of the CA emissions (7.3k)
Cap Reed valves off the engine (7.3k)
Redesign stock seat (8k)
Change Engine Ice (8k)
Install KLR650 bars (8.3k)
Change final drive oil (8.3k)
Install power source & phone mount (8.5k)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 07:28 AM
Old Fart

Garage
What's the frequency Kenneth ?? . What I mean is how fast are these pulses you feel? Like two every second? One? Does it slow with the bike?
A high spot on the rotor would might do this, or a sticking brake puck.

Wheel bearings are easy to check, your just looking for ANY side to side play in the wheel :

If it's not the wheel.....
I'd try cleaning the calipers (they do get rust in the cups) and bleeding the brakes with fresh brake fluid until the old fluid is gone.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 07:51 AM

Used to hear a similar sound from my front brakes. Finally wrote it off as noise from the drilled vent holes on the discs.

Have to check if it's still doing it, I forgot about it, or got used to it. Could've been from light rust on the rotors I guess.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Thanks for the imput.. No I haven't changed the brake fluid. It feels like its a thic every revolution of the wheel,slows as the bike slows. I'll try what you suggested,thanks for the video. KM...who's Kenneth???Hah!!!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
I can't really hear it,more you feel it.
I misread this before ...

I agree it could be a rotor out of true, a rusty spot on a rotor, something like that. Make sure your pad thickness is good.

It was just a noise on my bike, no pulsating yet.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 07:16 PM
Old Fart

Garage
What's the frequency Kenneth? Was what two? men that attacked Dan Rather years back kept asking him....

On October 4, 1986, while walking along Park Avenue to his apartment in Manhattan, Rather was attacked and punched from behind by a man who demanded to know "Kenneth, what is the frequency?" while a second assailant chased and beat him. As the assailant pummeled and kicked Rather, he kept repeating the question. In describing the incident, Rather said, "I got mugged. Who understands these things? I didn't and I don't now. I didn't make a lot of it at the time and I don't now. I wish I knew who did it and why, but I have no idea."[103] Until the crime was resolved years later, Rather's description of the bizarre crime led some to doubt the veracity of his account,[104] although the doorman and building supervisor who rescued Rather fully confirmed his version of events.[103]

The assault remained unsolved for some time, and was referenced multiple times in popular culture. The phrase "What's the frequency, Kenneth?" became a popular-culture reference over the years, such as in a scene in the graphic novel Like a Velvet Glove Cast in Iron by cartoonist Daniel Clowes. In 1994, the band R.E.M. released the song "What's the Frequency, Kenneth?" on their album Monster. Rather later sang with R.E.M. during a sound check prior to a gig at New York's Madison Square Garden, which was shown the following night on the Late Show with David Letterman before their performance of "Crush with Eyeliner".

In 1997, a TV critic writing in the New York Daily News solved the mystery, publishing a photo of the alleged assailant, William Tager, who received a 12-to-25-year prison sentence for killing NBC stagehand Campbell Montgomery outside The Today Show studio in 1994.[104] Rather confirmed the story: "There's no doubt in my mind that this is the person."[104] New York District Attorney Robert M. Morgenthau said, "William Tager's identity as the man who attacked Mr. Rather was established in the course of an investigation by my office."[105] Tager claimed he thought television networks were beaming signals into his brain.[106] When he murdered the stagehand, Tager was trying to force his way into an NBC studio with a weapon, in order to find out the frequency the networks were using to attack him, so that he could block it. Tager was paroled in October 2010 and is believed to be living in New York City.

Throughout the 1980s-90s, an NBC broadcast engineer with WMAQ in Chicago named Kenneth Steininger was responsible for assigning frequencies for national news events and is thought to be the Kenneth referred to.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/What...cy,_Kenneth%3F
Paulywog, Thorn and roadpouring like this.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 08-31-2018 at 07:24 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I never heard that story...crazy!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement