Brake Fluid Reservoir cap leak. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Brake Fluid Reservoir cap leak.

Hey, I recently replaced the OEM reservoir cap with a chrome one and it's started leaking really badly. It wasn't leaking with the original but now it's seeping out to the point where I may have to add more fluid now. The Diaphragm looks to be in good condition, and it's tightened as tight as it'll go, so I'm not sure what the issue is. Considering just filling the bastard up with RTV...

I have a love/hate relationship with this bike I swear to God.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 03:39 PM

Where the heck do you get such a niche custom product? The cap might not be sealing the diaphragm. I would say put the stock cap back on?

Earshave+Rejet (38/135) NGK Iridiums MCCT Conversion Slipstreamer S03 Windshield Custom Extended Backrest Custom Highway Bars MOSFET R/R LED Underglow Volt+USB In-Dash Two-Wire & Blue-Wire Mod Satin Black Engine Paint Dampers Parts - Jets: Main=99101-393(#132 stock)/Pilot=n424-22 Pilot(#38 stock)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-Vu...72.m2749.l2649

Probably gonna try the stock cap tbh.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 04:57 PM

While that is pretty cool looking, losing brake fluid is WAY more important than lookin' nice. Shame that it didn't really work out for you...

Earshave+Rejet (38/135) NGK Iridiums MCCT Conversion Slipstreamer S03 Windshield Custom Extended Backrest Custom Highway Bars MOSFET R/R LED Underglow Volt+USB In-Dash Two-Wire & Blue-Wire Mod Satin Black Engine Paint Dampers Parts - Jets: Main=99101-393(#132 stock)/Pilot=n424-22 Pilot(#38 stock)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 05:18 PM

Was about to say... Silicone won't end well.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I wasn't really going to use RTV, but it is upsetting that this cap for some reason won't work, despite it being the exact same shape underneath as the OEM. I don't get it. The leak was fixed by using the original cap but now i have to top off the fluid again. it leaked it all out into god knows where. returning the POS i got from ebay. from what it looked like, the Chrome cap's weephole tunnels were much wider than the OEM, so the gasket didn't seal the entire thing up. Makes a fair amount of sense honestly.

EDIT: Hold on, is the original diaphragm/gasket completely flat where the screws go usually, then is warped to fill the weephole channels? If that's the case, then I'm just an idiot for not using a new gasket.

Last edited by dunthyon; 04-26-2018 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Realized potential mistake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement