Getting longer front break hose... (Please advise) - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to artemis_f0wl Send a message via Yahoo to artemis_f0wl Send a message via Skype™ to artemis_f0wl
Getting longer front break hose... (Please advise)

Okay so here's the skinny...

I bought 12"apes from Flanders (7/8" wide center measures H 12", PB 13 5/8", C 8 3/8", W 34", part# 650-03141), and have begun the install process. I have everything dismantled and have the new bars on loosely enough to realize I need at least a new front brake hose if not all new cables (I do want to get braided cables but I'm not looking forward to the price they carry).

I have been reading my clymer book and I think I can do this on my own, especially with the guidance on this board! It is obvious I will be bleeding the front breaks, so I presume my shopping list will consist of:

DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid (Does it matter which? Any recommendations? How much do I need?)

New front brake hose (I want it to be long enough but not too long. Is there a way to "hide" the excess in case I decide to go up to 16" at some point?) I see this book points out there is one upper hose and 2 lower hoses. Do these come in sets? Do I need to replace the lower hoses or is it okay to change just the upper hose to facilitate my mod?

Some sort of hose to facilitate bleeding the line (any recommendations? This will be totally new water for me so I'm open to any guidance offered)

A container to catch old brake fluid (Perhaps an empty milk jug would work?)

A shop syringe (to keep the wife from being upset about losing a turkey baster)

I suppose a lot of this will be revealed when I head to Iron Pony shortly, but I'd like some input from this group as well. They seem to know their stuff there so hopefully they won't steer me wrong. I'll snap some more pictures and check back soon.. hope to have this done today- I'd love to ride (it's supposed to get close to 60)!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 11:12 AM

If you want to get on the road today, I would just change the top hose going to the splitter. Unless you can get the right size in braided. They have sets but those are usually set up for stock settings. They have ways where you can do just two hoses period and skip the splitter by the horns.
Use DOT 4, or DOT3/4 synthetic. If you are removing hoses you probably are going to get a lot of air in the lines, so get a big jug. A quart, not a pint. As far as a drain jug, use what ever, as long as it is bigger than the jug you are putting in. A gallon milk jug would be perfect. I can't remember what size hose fits on the bleeders, I think its 1/4 inch, but not sure. You can get a roll at HomeDepot for a decent price.
See if Iron Pony carries the speedbleeders for our bike. http://tinyurl.com/afqhbr We use model SB7100S. They make bleeding a whole lot easier and faster. Or get a hand vacuum pump.

Sold 750 (9-09)
Bought '07 900 Classic "LT" (6-09)
Mustand Seat (6-09)
Balanced Carbs (4-09)
Adjusted Mix Screws (4-09)
Drilled Baffles 8 holes (4-09)
R/R Relocated (3-09)
Splines Lubed (3-09)
Metzelers ME880 170/80 in back 100/90 in front (3-09)
Painted flat blak (3-09)
Kuri grips (8-08)
Kuri Longhorn pegs (8-08)
Iridium Plugs (8-08)
Highway bar/ engine guard(FS)
Some saddlebags no idea which ones
Facebook group Vulcan 750 Riders (Invite Only Group)
Facebook ID Eli Gaffke

Last edited by Jace Bror; 03-15-2009 at 11:14 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to artemis_f0wl Send a message via Yahoo to artemis_f0wl Send a message via Skype™ to artemis_f0wl
Thanks a ton!

You make it sound simple, perhaps I'm just overwhelmed by fear of the unknown..

Speed Bleeders added to the list (model SB7100S)

I'll hit home depot on my way back in the neighborhood for the drain hose- I'll plan on 1/4" unless someone says differently.

Noted- BIG jug of DOT 3/4 Synthetic (I presume there are benefits to synthetic over non?)

You suggest the hand vacuum pump- in addition to or instead of the speed bleeders?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Well I suppose I'm going out to put the stock bars back on

I just spoke with a nice helpful guy at iron pony. Break lines are not stocked and the only option is steel lines, but I would need to remove the existing lines and bring them into IP to have them sent to their supplier who would fabricate steel lines to my specs. For $180 plus the time involved in the waiting. No me contento!

While they do carry the SB7100, they do not have the 7100S, so that will not happen either.

About the only piece of good news on this call was that they do have a vacuum bleeder system for $40 that is in stock and I don't need an air compressor to run it.. I guess I have to take solace in the little things at this point. I really don't want to put the stock bars back on but I also don't want to miss another day of riding!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 12:47 PM

Anything can be simple if you have to right equipment. if you got the speed bleeders you wouldnt need the vacuum pump. Im not sure of the difference of 7100 to 7100s. man for the price of those lines you could get SS lines and just measure out what you need. Get those stock bars on and get riding. I plan on it.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

I'm in between a rock and a hard place.

Choices are finish the job or take my ball and go home. Quitting is not something I do well.. I'm now working to harness the frustration and channel that into motivation. I can sacrifice a few days riding to add fuel to the fire! Now I'm slowly finding myself moving from a defeated point of view to one of seizing the opportunity. My bike is torn to shreds. If you haven't seen the pictures, They're in the gallery. I think rather than just giving up I'm going to do all the mods at once.

My highway bars and bags are on the way. I will order the pipes when I make my pilgrimage to Iron Pony for all the parts to accomplish this mission. Among these parts will most likely be the brake lines- and those are stainless steel. Apparently that's the only option IP carries (even those aren't stocked). I just emailed a drawing to a guy I know who will hopefully throw a new paint job on the tank and fenders for a reasonable price. I think I'll just err on the side of caution with the speed bleeders and order them online to get it right the first time. While I'm at it, I'll be shopping for grips and pegs all the way around- including for the highway bars. If anyone can direct me to specs it would be appreciated.

I think that's all I had on the list but since it's all or nothing at this point, I'm open to suggestions. I'll be adding pictures along the way. Please pray for us!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 01:14 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

I just went out and checked on my bike and 1/4" hose fits my stock bleeder valve. If you do get the speed bleeders, do a trial fit in the hose to be sure it is the right size, before buying.
If you re-read jace`s last line in the post, he says get the speedbleeders OR the vacumn pump. You don`t need both.
I don`t have my Clymers manual right at hand, but with regards to brake fluid, it just warns against using silicone, which is DOT 5 I believe. Any DOT 3 or 4 should be fine, but you want to try to top up in future with the same brand.

Enjoy the ride with the buckhorns today, since you can`t get the apes on. Keep the shiny side up.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 06:23 PM

I said the DOT 3/4 silicone cuz when I bought some last night to put in after I did my speedbleeders the only DOT 4 they had was 3/4 synthetic

Sold 750 (9-09)
Mustand Seat (6-09)
Balanced Carbs (4-09)
R/R Relocated (3-09)
Splines Lubed (3-09)
Painted flat blak (3-09)
Kuri grips (8-08)
Iridium Plugs (8-08)
Facebook ID Eli Gaffke
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 06:26 PM

artimis i know how you feel though, my bike looked the same as your this time yesterday, cept I had the whole rear apart. i had to ride so bad i went out when i was done at like 1 in the morning.
whats up with your front fender. it is totally different then mine.

Sold 750 (9-09)
Mustand Seat (6-09)
Balanced Carbs (4-09)
R/R Relocated (3-09)
Splines Lubed (3-09)
Painted flat blak (3-09)
Kuri grips (8-08)
Iridium Plugs (8-08)
Facebook ID Eli Gaffke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement