More info on final drive spline lubrication - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2005, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

More info on final drive spline lubrication

OK, you guys scared the crap out of me so I did my final drive splines yesterday . . . and boy am I glad I did! THANKS!

Mine is a '99 with only 5,000 miles on it. When I took it down I found that the front splines had NO SIGN OF ANY GREASE AT ALL, and the rear splines had a minimum amount. No way was there 17 ml of grease in there at any time! Fortunately for me, the gal I bought the bike from (two weeks ago) had never used it in the rain and had kept it in a garage. There was a little bit of rust inside the female part of the rear spline, but the splines themselves looked very good. Mirror-like finish on them actually.

When taking it apart I carefully marked the relative position of the splines with a Sharpie marker, and then when it was out I used a diamond hone to polish a shiny spot where the marks were, this way I was able to clean everything up (I used toluene for cleaning) and still have marks for indexing the splines back the same way. I basically did everything as described above except for three things.

First, I used Krytox grease from Locktite. This cost about $36 for two ounces (more than enough for the job) and I have got to say . . . this stuff looks very good!

Second, after getting as much Krytox in the front splines as I could, I sprayed the entire propeller shaft and universal joint with a good anti-corrosion spray. I sprayed from the front and the back and was careful to hit all the inside surfaces. I donít like rust in my bike. I have had excellent luck with ďCorrosion ProĒ (LubriMatic brand) on marine engines in salt water, so it should work in there.

Third, I made a bead of Krytox grease around the flange of the propeller drive tube (where the four bolts go) and mushed it when I put the final drive housing back on in an attempt to seal this surface against water. Does Kawasaki have any engineers? Why the hell isnít there an O-ring groove and an O-ring so water canít get in and ruin our day? I tried to do the same thing with the rubber boot up front . . . but who knows. The fact that we are all having these problems is just plain BAD ENGINEERING followed by BAD EXECUTION of their bad engineering! And damn easy to fix, if they would bother.

Anyway, I think Iím set on this one for a while. Hope this helps someone.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 09:17 AM
Search Goddess

Re: More info on final drive spline lubrication

The front portion of the splines aren't as critical since there is minimal movement there. Usually a good spray of lithium sparay is all that they need. Also I am not sure of the content Krytox grease. Is it a Moly compound? Moly is the specified grease for the rear splines and Honda Moly is the most widely used

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 11:19 AM

Re: More info on final drive spline lubrication

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyDoc
OK, you guys scared the crap out of me so I did my final drive splines yesterday . . . and boy am I glad I did! THANKS!

......When taking it apart I carefully marked the relative position of the splines with a Sharpie marker, and then when it was out I used a diamond hone to polish a shiny spot where the marks were, this way I was able to clean everything up (I used toluene for cleaning) and still have marks for indexing the splines back the same way. I basically did everything as described above except for three things.

First, I used Krytox grease from Locktite. This cost about $36 for two ounces (more than enough for the job) and I have got to say . . . this stuff looks very good!

Second, after getting as much Krytox in the front splines as I could, I sprayed the entire propeller shaft and universal joint with a good anti-corrosion spray. I sprayed from the front and the back and was careful to hit all the inside surfaces. I donít like rust in my bike. I have had excellent luck with ďCorrosion ProĒ (LubriMatic brand) on marine engines in salt water, so it should work in there.

Third, I made a bead of Krytox grease around the flange of the propeller drive tube (where the four bolts go) and mushed it when I put the final drive housing back on in an attempt to seal this surface against water. Does Kawasaki have any engineers? Why the hell isnít there an O-ring groove and an O-ring so water canít get in and ruin our day? I tried to do the same thing with the rubber boot up front . . . but who knows. The fact that we are all having these problems is just plain BAD ENGINEERING followed by BAD EXECUTION of their bad engineering! And damn easy to fix, if they would bother.

Anyway, I think Iím set on this one for a while. Hope this helps someone.

Bill
Bill..sounds like you did an excellent job. Krytox is great stuff.
No gasket?? No O-ring??? LOL....
That's what you get when you buy a $6000 bike.
FWIW, I dabbed a little black RTV on those mating surfaces...Krytox, or even Moly, is WAY to expensive to use there.

Gotta disagree on the bad, bad, bad part....
It's more like 'simple, simple, simple....' followed by 'maintenance, maintenance, maintenance...'.
IF, and I say IF, the system is lubed properly when it is built at the factory, which IIRC was/is the source of many problems, if you check it at 6000mi as Kaw recommends (and not enough owners/dealers do), and then get on a regular maintenance schedule (10k miles for me) I think you will find the driveline will last a long time.
You definitely improved on the original design tho....typical of us riders, no???

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 08:30 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Hello John et al,
Do any parts have to be purchased, besides the Moly, to do the job? Are any gaskets, O-rings, etc. necessary to get from the dealer before beginning this project. Sounds like I'd better check mine. I have about 8500 miles on the Vulcan750. I really love the motorcycle and want it to last. I don't know how much confidence one should place in the shops to do the job right so I'd better try it myself.

By the way, is the Vulcan stable enough on the center stand while doing the job? I thought of maybe tying ropes and fastening them to the ceiling to make it more secure and stable during the procedure. What precautions does everyone else take to prevent their Vulcans from falling over? I would hate to scratch or dent my the Vulcan.
Thanks,
Sam612
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 11:39 PM
Uber Member

Send a message via AIM to Hizzo3 Send a message via Yahoo to Hizzo3
hey.... you can get the o rings at a dealer... but u only really need them if urs are worn or cut. make sure us use a toothbrush to get the moly into the splines good. dont forget the front as well.

I did mine in the parking lot at my apt.. took about an hour and a half.... there is a vulcan verse that is step by step and worked great. u will need a breaker bar to break that subborn rear axle nut though ( i got a big 12in adj cresent for the job at Home depot.). also if you are a smaller person you may want an extra hand. that wheel is about 50-70 lbs. and its tough to get the shocks back on.

'04 Vn750
Currently Installed
nat'l cycle deflector shield
westco 12v30 MF, 30A/h w/ 350 CCA's w/ custom box
TOC stator cover w/ Frankenstator mod!
R/R relo

Soon to have (own or on order)
TOC ACCT's
Mez's 110-FRT 170/80-Rear
Custom rear fender and tail light
Givi hard bags w/ custom rear turn signals

Band Engineer/Webmaster for Josey Contreras Tejano Band
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 12:43 AM

Sam612,

The center stand will do fine. You may want to use a strap hooked to the center stand and someplace forward on the bike to prevent it from coming off of the center stand

Deuce (Loran Naperville IL)
1995 VN750 (Black w/ 2004 tins - no teal)
2003 VN750
Both have: - F&S Bags & brackets
- Corbin seat w backrest
- Progressive suspension.
- Kury iso goldwing grips
2 1983 V65 Magnas
2 1985 V65 Mangas (1 which is in many parts)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 08:18 PM

Garage
Thank you all for your responses to my questions regarding the spline lube job. Today I went to the Kawasaki website and looked at the parts diagram (a tip from Flap1) and ordered all the O-Rings listed. I really do not know which ones I will need and I did not want to be unable to ride while waiting for an O-Ring because I did not "shotgun" order them. The total came came to about $36 including the shipping charges. Who knows, I may not evan need any but it is insurance. Watch me need something else. Oh well, gotta try to do the job.
See ya,
Sam612
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 08:19 PM

Garage
darn, hit the wrong key. evan should have been even. misspelled it.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 07:36 PM

Garage
Did the driveshaft spline lube this morning

Hi Everybody,
Thanks for the good input regarding lubricating the spline on the driveshaft. I did mine this morning. I am happy to report that it really did not appear to need it, but I am very glad that I checked it and lubed it. I own a '98 Vulcan 750, Black and Candy Wine Red with 8200 miles. A really great color scheme. The new 2006 Vulcan 750's look much the same but the covers on the '98 are chrome versus black on the 2006. There are some color schemes that I like a bit better such as the 2003 red and grey and, I think, the '95's dark red and red combination.

Anyway, there was plenty of grease on the spline that connects to the differential. I did not check the front yet but plan on doing that soon by slipping the rubber up a bit and peeking in, as was described in this forum. One thing that puzzles me is the grease on the spline was very dark, very close to a black color. The Honda Moly 60 paste was grey. Did I get the right paste? Sure hope so.

The good news is the job was easier than I suspected. I tied the Vulcan to the rafters so that it would not fall over plus tied the center stand to the front wheel to prevent it from folding when applying pressure to the spring loaded shaft during reassembly (thanks for that tip Dianna) which tends to push the Vulcan forward.

So, that's done and I am a happy Vulcan 750 owner.
Bye for now,
Sam612
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 11:17 AM

I to decided it was time to take a look at my splines. I have an 05 and at first thought I would not need to check it for a while until I started reading here about folks finding some of the newer bikes had not been lubricated at the factory. Glad I did it. The front splines had no grease and very little on the rear splines. Showed some signs of wear. I lubed both the front and rear splines with the honda moly. Not near as bad a job as I thought it was going to be. It took about two hours altogether. Thanks for all the tips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement