Spline lube - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Spline lube

Man, I just replaced the rear tire, then I see this sticky about the Spline lube problem I lubed the splines on the rear hub when I put the wheel back on. I have a '85 with 25,000 miles on it. Wouldn't it have failed by now if it wasn't greased at the factory ? I don't want to take the back wheel off again so soon, but I am paranoid now after reading about the dry splines in the shaft.

I know it would be safer to go ahead and do it, but am leaning towards just dropping the money for the parts if it fails. Is it a safety issue ? What happens if the spines and housing ends up stripping out ? Does the shaft just spin and you go nowhere or does it lock up ? Let me know your thoughts please, thanks.

1985 VN700A
FYI :
Kawasaki introduced the 750 cc class Vulcan worldwide in 1985. Due to tariff restrictions in the United States on bikes over 700 cc imported from Japan, the initial US spec model was limited to 699 cc. The tariff was lifted in 1986 and the Vulcan went to 749cc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

Mine failed at about 25 or 30 k.. never greased at factory

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

What Happened ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganteddybear View Post
Mine failed at about 25 or 30 k.. never greased at factory
Thanks for the reply ! You have a 2005 and from what I have read it was a known issue in that year range. Mine has gone 32 years so it's hard for me to believe it was never lubed at all. What happened when it failed ? Did it give you any warning or just start spinning in the housing leaving you stranded ? I know I should go ahead and do this just exploring my options, I would rather wait until riding season is over to work on it if I can. Thanks for the info.

1985 VN700A
FYI :
Kawasaki introduced the 750 cc class Vulcan worldwide in 1985. Due to tariff restrictions in the United States on bikes over 700 cc imported from Japan, the initial US spec model was limited to 699 cc. The tariff was lifted in 1986 and the Vulcan went to 749cc.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mine never actually failed. I spotted the issue when changing the rear tire. It might have gone another 100 miles.

When they fail, usually loss of drive, with grinding noises

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Thanks

Thanks for the info, I am working 2 jobs and I just don't want to tear into my bike again, I just want to ride it. I will take it apart this fall and do it.

1985 VN700A
FYI :
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 10:40 AM
Old Fart

Garage
So what will you do if it fails on you before then? You have the couple of hundred bucks to buy a new shaft and the other needed parts? Not an easy job. Not to mention finding the parts to begin with.

Know what is an easy job? Lubing the splines. Takes about an hour. If it were me, I'd invest in that hour rather than being worried about being stuck in the middle of nowhere later this summer.....

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
So what will you do if it fails on you before then? You have the couple of hundred bucks to buy a new shaft and the other needed parts? Not an easy job. Not to mention finding the parts to begin with.

Know what is an easy job? Lubing the splines. Takes about an hour. If it were me, I'd invest in that hour rather than being worried about being stuck in the middle of nowhere later this summer.....
+1

My ride is also my main transportation, and even tho it was down for a week waiting on the parts, it was worth it to me. prevented a near future failure while on the road.

and pushing a motorcycle in florida summer heat isn't fun

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks

Thanks for all the input,

The reason I am going to wait till fall is I am allready riding the bike with a bad stator. I am planning on pulling the engine this fall to replace it, and I will do the spline lube then. I don't ride it far, nor often, and it's 32 years old, a couple of more months shouldn't matter. Thanks

1985 VN700A
FYI :
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Talked me into it

Ok, you guys are right, I am old and stubborn and set in my ways, lol. I am going to go ahead and do the spline lube. I see Honda 60 on Ebay and it says it has been replaced by 77. I only need the moly for this job, so I don't want to buy alot. Will this work? :

DOW CORNING MOLYKOTE M77 Paste Grease Lubricant Lube

Found 1oz. of it on Ebay for 5 bucks free shipping should be enough.

1985 VN700A
FYI :
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 09:01 PM

Just drained the gear oil from the spline and replaced with Valvoline High Performance SAE 80w-90. Filled it up to the bottom threads in the inspection hole. Checked the old oil and felt no grit. Spun the rear tire and the teeth looked brand new. Is there anything else I was supposed to do? I see something about paste grease?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement