Hello peoples Help maybe ..shifter - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2017, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
just crushing along

Garage
Hello peoples Help maybe ..shifter

Yes I have a 1985 vulcan 700 and was wondering if anyone can tell me or help (which is appreciated) My bike has a lot of play shifting
into gears like 6 inches or better it seems like of travel before it foes into next gear on up shift. what my be casuing all this slop??
thanks ahead of time
deano
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2017, 06:37 AM

Garage
Hi Meathead,
There's a linkage that goes from the shift pedal through the interior of the bike, and connects to the shifter pawl that actuates the gears themselves. It's possible that the shift pedal is loose on it's shift rod (i.e. the splines are partially worn off and it spins a bit before getting enough purchase to shift) or that the shifter pawl inside the engine is worn or bent. It's sort of a C shaped lever that pushes up or pulls down on the transmission drum when you shift. It's under the left hand side engine cover.

check around comment 28 on this thread where someone resolved a similar issue:
https://www.vn750.com/forum/26-transm...traffic-4.html

Sadly their picture seems to have disappeared.

Would you mind posting an introduction in the newbie section including how long you've been riding, how long you've had your vn750, and what your comfort level is when it comes to working on your ride?

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
Old 06-25-2017, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
just crushing along

Garage
Thanks for the reply I will look at it do you know if it is possible to remove the cove without removing the engine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement