Very late clutch engagement - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Very late clutch engagement

Hey Guys and Gals!
I've been riding my 86 to and from work for about a month (12 country miles). Now that the excitement of having it out of the operating room and on the road has faded I'm noticing the little things and getting them squared away as i go.
The only thing that is driving me nuts right now is i adjusted the clutch cable so that i have very little free play at the lever when released (about a 16th of an inch if that) and yet it takes releasing the clutch lever almost all the way out for the clutch to begin engaging. I really don't have much "feather" room at all and although its ride able its a real annoyance when starting on an incline. i used Rotella oil, have a new clutch cable that feels free and easy to pull, acts this way regardless of cold or warm, it never slip's on hard acceleration or in high gear, and is consistent except a few times i felt like i may have had it start to grab about half way out.
Is my clutch shot?
Also maybe worth mentioning, when i installed the new cable i didn't have the adjustment i needed to make it work(it was a shorter cable for the bars) so i removed the part that slides onto the splined clutch shaft and rotated it clockwise to take the slack out of the cable maybe 1/8 of a turn. i didn't think the position of that part would matter so much as long as the clutch shaft turned when the lever was pulled.
Any input is appreciated!
Thank you!

A ship is always safe at the shore - but that is NOT what it is built for. - Albert Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 01:10 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
can move the part that slides onto the splined shaft a spline or two to move where the lever engages.

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog

Last edited by OleDirtyDoc; 05-13-2017 at 02:30 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I can do that I guess I was just hoping not to have to cheat like that in case that would keep the clutch from fully engaging. Thank you for he reply!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

if you get free play in the clutch cable, your clutch is fully engaged.

its kinda strange kawasaki "geared" the clutch rack/pinion the way they did. with a fully properly adjusted clutch (2-3 mm free play), full squeeze on the clutch lever will move the pressure plate away from the clutch stack at least 1/4 inch, maybe even 3/8's. it takes no where near that amount of motion to fully release the clutch. there fore, when releasing the lever, you dont get any real action until its nearly fully released.

its the way ma-kaw designed it.

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
See that's what i was wondering. i have just the bare minimum of free play right now and it makes me feel good that the clutch is fully released. i know i could get that grab point sooner by cheating the adjustments so its never fully released but then id be worried that I'm basically riding the clutch even when not pulling the lever. if its just the nature of the beast i wont worry about it but if my plates are worn and i need a new clutch than ill go ahead and replace the plates.
like i said it grabs strong and never slips. just hard to feather on an incline. Maybe its all in my head!

A ship is always safe at the shore - but that is NOT what it is built for. - Albert Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement