Clutch resistant - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Clutch resistant

I am very noob when it comes to working on my bike or any bike at that fact but not new to riding/owning. This is the first time I've ran into this concern though, it has to do with the clutch or I'm assuming. When I first start her up everything is great, runs like a dream and everything is perfect. The issue start to arise after about 30 min or so of riding to where its good and warmed up. When I'm sitting at a light or cross streets in 1st gear clutch fully in I feel pressure on the drive. Its not a lot of pressure to over run the brake but it is enough that can be felt. When I give a little throttle while sitting still clutch fully in I feel the pressure release, then when the engine goes back down I feel the pressure come back to the drive. I have also noticed the shifting gets a little harder (more pressure to shift and a slight clunk at times). I am suspecting a clutch but with only around 1400 miles since the last clutch work was done that seems a bit premature to be wore out already. OH, I have also noticed my "friction zone" is almost non existent, its either engaged or not engaged; no middle ground. Any tips or leads would be very appreciated.

Ride safe and enjoy life of the open road

CURRENT BABY: 2006 Vulcan VN750, 13k miles.
PREVIOUS Big BABIES: 77 Kawasaki KZ400, 88 Honda Hurricane 1000, 78 Yamaha XS650, 84 Honda Goldwing 1000, 86 Suzuki GS550L
PREVIOUS Lil Babies: 84 Honda Passport 70 (modified the heck out of it), 08 Yamaha Zuma FX50 (just sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 12:53 PM
Old Fart

Garage
When did you last change your oil and what did you use?

You said "around 1400 miles since the last clutch work"...who did it, and what did they do?

Have you adjusted your clutch lever?

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 12:59 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
yup.adjust the lever first,then the cable if that don't work.

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
When did you last change your oil and what did you use?

You said "around 1400 miles since the last clutch work"...who did it, and what did they do?

Have you adjusted your clutch lever?
Did a full oil change 2 weeks ago and used Valvoline Motorcycle 4 Stroke 10w40 and Wix Filter.

To my knowledge it was a full clutch R&R, going by the sellers word on this one. He said he had the clutch replaced when he bought the bike but didnt say by who and he only put 1k miles on it before I bought it according to the title. Ive put around 400 miles on it since I bought it last month, and thats been in the last week or so.

I can try to adjust my clutch lever but its pretty stout, half lever release is when the clutch fully engages. The pressure on the drive I was asking about is only when its idle and at a stop. If I use any throttle then the pressure seems to go away from the drive and is free until I release about half the clutch lever and then its full clutch engaged, no "friction zone" or lead up to full engage, its there or free; no middle.

PREVIOUS Big BABIES: 77 Kawasaki KZ400, 88 Honda Hurricane 1000, 78 Yamaha XS650, 84 Honda Goldwing 1000, 86 Suzuki GS550L
PREVIOUS Lil Babies: 84 Honda Passport 70 (modified the heck out of it), 08 Yamaha Zuma FX50 (just sold)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 02:26 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Well, makes me wonder if they installed the clutch plates correctly. If it only happens when the bike is warmed up, I'd think there is a issue with one of the plates...

With an oil filter change you should have used just a tad under 4 qts.

The clutch can seem to drag abit at low engine speeds. But if you're holding the lever in and the bike isn't dying while in gear I wouldn't worry about that....unless it's pulling you foreword when you release the brake.

But if you say the clutch is an "on or off" kinda thing, how are you taking off? Seems you'd be jerking or stalling.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

I have a small amount of 'drag' on my clutch as well, I dont worry about it. I have very similar symptoms, a small amount of pressure on the driveline when hot and stopped, a tiny amount of throttle relieves that pressure.

my clutch has been in and out many times, and clutch plates are in properly.

I chalk it up to metal expanding/oil drag on the surface of the plates

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Well, makes me wonder if they installed the clutch plates correctly. If it only happens when the bike is warmed up, I'd think there is a issue with one of the plates...

With an oil filter change you should have used just a tad under 4 qts.

The clutch can seem to drag abit at low engine speeds. But if you're holding the lever in and the bike isn't dying while in gear I wouldn't worry about that....unless it's pulling you foreword when you release the brake.

But if you say the clutch is an "on or off" kinda thing, how are you taking off? Seems you'd be jerking or stalling.
yes it was just a shy of 4 qts; 3.75 I believe.

It has been tricky a few times and have clutch stalled it twice just today. The "jerky" start offs (I call them clutch drop jumps) is a concern to me with the notorious Vulcan Splines.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganteddybear View Post
I have a small amount of 'drag' on my clutch as well, I dont worry about it. I have very similar symptoms, a small amount of pressure on the driveline when hot and stopped, a tiny amount of throttle relieves that pressure.

my clutch has been in and out many times, and clutch plates are in properly.

I chalk it up to metal expanding/oil drag on the surface of the plates
Dont take it wrong but glad to hear someone else has it too and im not just crazy lol. But do you also have the lack of friction zone when its going on or is that a different issue I may be having? I wont worry about the slight drag since I have also heard from a couple other local buddies with Kaw's have the same thing also. Ive got a bud thats gonna head over later and take my bike for a ride to feel it but he did say that some kawasaki's are known for having a picky, touchy clutch and im used to clutches from Harley's and Suzuki's.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
*** UPDATE ON SITUATION ***

My buddy came over and took my girl for a good ride. When he came back he came to 3 conclusions;

1st; The slight grab is a very common thing with wet clutch setups (as he put it) but most don't notice it. He was surprised I did cause he barely felt it. (I will be researching what "wet clutch" is since I just stood there and looked at him sideways thinking yeah ok)

2nd; The clutch throw is very long, that is why it feels like there is no friction zone. He said an adjustment to the lever may elevate that but wasn't sure if it would pull more when it heats up. (the 1st conclusion). My clutch lever moves a little over 3 1/2 inches from full release to full pull, with the friction zone starting at just over 2 inches released and full engaged at 3 inches that doesn't leave much room and why it seems like its just a "all or nothing" feel.

3rd; When the clutch was replaced they may have installed the wrong year one. He mentioned that the 05/06 had a different spring load then the 97/04.

The first 2 conclusions of his falls right in line with what you all were saying and very much appreciate the help and info you all gave, this is a great community and hope one day I will know enough to contribute to the bike world as I do with the auto world. But can I get a confirmation on his 3rd conclusion, has anyone else heard or ran into that?

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 10:21 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
a wet clutch is a clutch encased in an oil bath.as far as I know,there shouldn't be any difference in clutches between different years. they should all be the same and transfer between all years.

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk
ZmanInFl likes this.

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird