Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Shifter Shaft Problem

4K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  mcinturff 
#1 ·
My shift shaft moves in/out 3/4" to 1". Am I missing a circlip or something? All I see when the stator cover is off is a washer, I believe there might be a circlip behind it, but maybe there's one on the inside of the motor to restrict movement?

#2 ·
There should be two circlip/washer pairs on the shifter shaft under the stator cover.
From the outside in, it should be: shift lever spline, washer, circlip, section of shaft through empty space, circlip, washer, engine wall (leading to another cavity on the other side)
If both circlips are in place there shoudn't be an inch of play. There are grooves on the shaft for the circlips, so you should be able to tell where they go even if they're missing.

#3 ·
So I pulled the cover back off after cleaning the engine, and the washers and circlips are all there. However, the shaft won't out far enough to get the inner circlip back in its groove. I'm wondering if the shaft got moved in and can't move back out because of interference with another part. Hopefully it's not the oil pump chain guide. Any ideas?

#4 ·
Was the bike ever dropped? There is a piece that can bend a bit in there, but still function fairly normally

#7 ·
Are you talking the shift linkage rod? If it bent sideways it could rub against the housing...

It's damn close too. If I could pull that shaft 1-2mm more I could get that circlip back on.
Hate to say it 'cause you probably already know it, but don't use force! A sleeve spacer sounds like a pretty good alternative to splitting the engine to see what it's hanging on on the other side.

#5 ·
It appears to have been dropped on the right side, but not the left. I think it would still function fine if I left it alone, it just bugs me having movement in that shaft. I could add a collar/spacer on there so the shift lever doesn't rub the frame. At least it still shifts fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.