Final Drive questions - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 03:11 AM Thread Starter

Final Drive questions

Thanks much for the advice that was posted on this forum relative to the final drive. I just finished using the Moly 60 on the splines. I noticed a small amount of Gear Oil (SAE 80W-90) in the area where the splines insert into the drive shaft. However, the level of oil in the final drive was still close to the bottom of the filler hole. As long as I check the gear oil level frequently, do I have to be concerned about this possible leak?

Also, all splines looked good except for where the final drive inserts into the drive shaft (pinion side). There was rust and splines were approximately 1/8" high - looked to be slightly rounded on edges - but definitely not as bad as I think it could have been (12,000 miles on bike). The front splines were about the same size but had sharp corners (front looked very good). Can I reasonably expect to have this final drive last, say, 10,000 miles now that it's been lubed? (I realize this is a guess on your part.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 08:56 AM

Re: Final Drive questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinapa
Thanks much for the advice that was posted on this forum relative to the final drive. I just finished using the Moly 60 on the splines. I noticed a small amount of Gear Oil (SAE 80W-90) in the area where the splines insert into the drive shaft. However, the level of oil in the final drive was still close to the bottom of the filler hole. As long as I check the gear oil level frequently, do I have to be concerned about this possible leak?

Also, all splines looked good except for where the final drive inserts into the drive shaft (pinion side). There was rust and splines were approximately 1/8" high - looked to be slightly rounded on edges - but definitely not as bad as I think it could have been (12,000 miles on bike). The front splines were about the same size but had sharp corners (front looked very good). Can I reasonably expect to have this final drive last, say, 10,000 miles now that it's been lubed? (I realize this is a guess on your part.)
Good job, jj...sounds like you got back there jjjuuuussst in time.
If you gave everything a good lube, put averything back together nicely, checked or replaced the O-ring on the FD that seals the Moly in the collar, you will have no problem going 10k before you do this again. Kaw recommends a check & lube at the first 6000mi mark, then not again till 18000mi, so they call for an interval of 12k. I did mine every 10k, no problem. Some say wait till you change tires, but I say no way...my Metzelers were giving me over 20000mi. I'm not waiting that long to do a job this critical, and this easy.
You did put some Moly on the wheel hub to FD gears, right???

A leaking seal between the FD gears and the drive spline could be possible...I'd keep an eye on the FD level for sure. Could be due to previous owner spritzing the base of the input spline w/ some oil. I've done that. Did the oil look 'virgin'....unused?? No leak!
If it had some grey-metallic contamination typical of used gear oil, I'd definitely keep an eye on the FD level....

john m
Somewhere deep in OH....
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Re: Final Drive questions

That's good news - I had my other bike inspected today by local bike shop, and he said they don't lube them at factory since lube would end up on the assembly line and get on the new tires, etc. When I mentioned the 6,000 mi. servicing, he also said the protocol is to lube them when the tires are changed (which makes no sense to me - my tires have another 5,000 in them yet). I don't believe previous owner went in-depth with servicing - final drive oil was low when I got it.

I did put the lube on the ring gear and coupler as well - bike seems to be running well since re-assembly - and didn't find any parts left over so hubby is happy (I do this stuff while he's at work since it makes him nervous). I admit to some hesitation in the o-ring department. I inspected what already existed compared to Clymer's figure 30 on page 397 and it looked like that, but don't really know if something was missing or not (by then it was 10:00 p.m.). Nothing looked amiss, so I guess I have to hope for the best in that department since I'm not taking it apart again in the near future unless it breaks. What would have been the signs? (always thirsty for knowledge and I own another shaftie).

The little oil that came out looked rather new to me. I'd be surprised about previous owner putting some in, but one never knows. At the time I saw it, I was thinking it could have come over right after I put some in after purchasing the bike - I only filled to bottom of fill hole, though. Whatever - I'm not going to obsess over it and do check the final drive fluid frequently.

I did index the wheel hub side, but was unsuccessful at indexing the pinion side - what's the best way? Thanks again, Jen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement