Extra washer - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

Extra washer

Well my son and I have finally split his case to replace the broken shift shaft. We followed Roach’s video and the Clymer’s book. Unlike Roach when we split the case 2 thin washers fell out when it was about 2-3 inches apart. When we got it completely apart we saw a third thin washer laying on the bottom case under the lower counter shaft in the little cubby there. The 2 washers (and the 3rd) all the same size as the counter shaft so I think they go on it, also the book shows two washers that are probably them. We didn’t pull the transmission apart and it is still in the case. As I said, I think the 2 washers are the ones the book tells you to look out for if you pull the transmission because they are just "sitting" there but I have no idea where the 3rd one goes. Any ideas? This bike has been apart before but I don't know how far or what the reason was. The clutch basket is drilled and the rotor threads were really screwed up, I had to retap them. Also it looks like they used black rtv between the cases.

No Brain - No Pain. I measure a man by the good he does for others, not his mistakes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 11:45 AM

My first thought is the extra washer was dropped when the case was opened previously, and they just put a new one in it's place.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

That is kind of what we are thinking. I didn't want to take the transmission apart but I think I will have to anyway so I can make sure it is in neutral. Also maybe a washer is missing deeper on that shaft. It loks like there are a total of three in the book.

No Brain - No Pain. I measure a man by the good he does for others, not his mistakes.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 12:35 PM

Should be able to check for neutral by turning the output shaft, or the coupler at the bevel gear if you have the bevel gear removed. If it's in gear, the crankshaft will resist turning.

In addition to checking the manual, looking at parts schematics on websites is a good way to look for the washer placement.

The first washer to drop is the one on the outside end of the shifter shaft. That's as far as I've been into this engine, but I had to chase that washer when I did the stator.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf

Last edited by Spockster; 07-10-2016 at 12:38 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Following the book the washer is the one that goes in between the 4th gear and the 1st gear, with the other 2 washers following 1st gear. They were probably stuck to the right side case bearing when we split the case. There was no washer between 4th and 1st gears so that is where it is going to go.

With all the gears and washers in place the gear assembly spins freely. But I have not installed the replacement shift rod yet.

I purchased a used complete one from a seller on EBay and thought it was alright. Just a slight bend to the left on the front heim end. After looking at the one we removed I am now afraid I should have purchased the shifter shaft as well as the tie rod.

I used BikeBandit for the first parts purchase anyone have an idea who would be fastest for this part (I think I will replace the water pump seal as well although it does not appear to need it. Now would be a good time. Already have the balancers and just did the stator.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 09:42 AM

What age/mileage on bike (re: shift shaft seal and pump seal)? Do you have a pic of the shift shaft being installed. It may not be an issue given heim play.

Or maybe you resolved all in the last week already..
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

The bike has about 24000 miles and had been running great. I do not believe that falling hard on the left side could cause the damage as the bend is wrong (my prior statement about the direction of the bend was looking from the front of the engine). At one time he had the c-clip pop off the shaft and we ran it with a small piece of hose holding it out. That may have been when it started. The new shaft is 99% correct but the very end is about 1/16 of an inch bent already (the bend it appears to have in the photo is an optical illusion). Hopefully it will last another 24000 miles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shifter shaft 3.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	32970   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shifter shaft 2.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	32978  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement