New clutch cable, not installed properly? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

New clutch cable, not installed properly?

Hello,

My clutch cable broke on me a couple weeks back, luckily I was 1/2 mile from a friends and was able to just jam it into neutral and walk it there until my new (used) clutch cable came in the mail!

I was able to throw it on and get the bike home but I know for a fact it isn't right.

I should have paid more attention to it before dis assembling it but it seemed too easy and now I can't figure it out! On the far end of the clutch cable (lower end) there is a little rubber boot and I can't seem to make it fit in a right place. Does anyone have a pic or 2 of their clutch cable at it's far (bottom) end so I can compare my mess?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

the boot is really just a dust cover type of affair.. just to keep crud out of the cable from the bottom end. if I recall, it just slips over the end of the sheath and extends to the clevis (the end that connects to the splined shaft).

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 09:47 PM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

Reckoning, interesting that this is your third posting on this forum with you first one on 9/15/15, your second in December of 2015 and now the third today. All your postings asked for help with a question regarding your bike and yet you have never posted an introduction under the Newbie Check-In as is requested of all new members. I believe there were several responses to your initial questions and yet you never gave any further feedback one way or another. Not sure what to make of all that but it sure doesn't seem very friendly when we have opened our entire wealth of knowledge to you from the start. How about a short introduction with some information as to your riding/wrenching experience. Doesn't seem like too much to ask or maybe the rest of us are all wrong.

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 12:59 AM

Garage
sufficient?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160510_001345_2.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	31826  

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganteddybear View Post
the boot is really just a dust cover type of affair.. just to keep crud out of the cable from the bottom end. if I recall, it just slips over the end of the sheath and extends to the clevis (the end that connects to the splined shaft).
Makes sense, just doesn't seem to be lining up well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan2000 View Post
Reckoning, interesting that this is your third posting on this forum with you first one on 9/15/15, your second in December of 2015 and now the third today. All your postings asked for help with a question regarding your bike and yet you have never posted an introduction under the Newbie Check-In as is requested of all new members. I believe there were several responses to your initial questions and yet you never gave any further feedback one way or another. Not sure what to make of all that but it sure doesn't seem very friendly when we have opened our entire wealth of knowledge to you from the start. How about a short introduction with some information as to your riding/wrenching experience. Doesn't seem like too much to ask or maybe the rest of us are all wrong.
Thanks for the reminder! I'll look for the newbie thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
sufficient?
I'll work off that, thanks a lot for the photo!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 03:05 PM

Garage
No problem. Good luck!

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
Sponsored Links
Advertisement