Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Need help

4K views 30 replies 7 participants last post by  Lyndon 
#1 ·
Hey guys I'm new to the forum. So I have an issue. When I'm running the bike in 5th gear it will pop in and out of gear. Won't in any other gear though. Also if I hold the shifter up with my foother it will stop. What could this be?

#4 · (Edited)
...has someone ever replaced the Shift Linkage (internal...the one that has been known to break) ?
If so, i am thinking it may be slightly out of adjustment when new was installed ? ? ? - :doh: -

#6 ·
im real new to bikes so forgive me but where would that be and how would i check it?
not that i know of. i know it just started though. it was fine before.
It could be either a defective "foother" as described in your first post or possibly your lack of a proper introduction under the Newbie Check-In section. Can't understand why so many newbies just start asking for assistance without doing a simple introduction first. Maybe they would just walk up to a stranger on the street and ask for information about fixing their bike also. Heck as of now we are not even sure if you have a VN 750 or a Vespa because you haven't told us anything except you are new to the forum and "real new to bikes." I am not trying to bust your chops (too much) but at least give us some real information if we are going to open this vast amount of knowledge to fix any and all problems you might find with your ride.

#8 ·
Whoops haha I meant foot. Sorry for not spell checking. Also why would I post in a vn750 forum if I had a vespa. This is the only issue I'm having. If there was more I would have posted more. The bike is an 87 vn750 it's having an issue with popping out of gear in 5th. Just looking for some help. The bike only has 17000 miles. I'm new to bikes but I am a diesel tech. So I have most of the tools I would need. Does the engine have to be pulled for any trans work. Also new issue today. I was parking the bike and went to put it in neutral and it went to 2nd gear. Then I could only go to neutral and not first. Let it sit then got it to go to first.

#9 · (Edited)
Whoops haha I meant foot. Sorry for not spell checking. Also why would I post in a vn750 forum if I had a vespa. This is the only issue I'm having. If there was more I would have posted more. The bike is an 87 vn750 it's having an issue with popping out of gear in 5th. Just looking for some help. The bike only has 17000 miles. I'm new to bikes but I am a diesel tech. So I have most of the tools I would need. Does the engine have to be pulled for any trans work. Also new issue today. I was parking the bike and went to put it in neutral and it went to 2nd gear. Then I could only go to neutral and not first. Let it sit then got it to go to first.
At Idle,
maybe letting the clutch out A Little..allow bike to move forward a few inches, then find neutral.....
If in neutral...resistant to 1st, let the clutch lever out, then attempt 1st again.
I always have the bike idling when attempting any gear change.
try it, let us know if that method works for you.

- :smile2: -

#11 · (Edited)
Are you speaking of a coffee grinding clutch noise ?
If so, Only happens when Oil is COLD .....
What weight Oil are you using ?

- :carryflag -

#13 ·
- :smiley_th - Good Stuff ! - :carryflag - :motorcycl -

#16 ·
Yup...then pull the chains, jugs, pistons and split the cases....
- :wink2: -

#19 ·
A slipping clutch would make the rpm's increase in fifth but pulling up on the shifter would have no effect. Are you letting off the throttle when you pull up on the shifter?

#20 ·
Try going up a hill in fifth at about fifty mph. Keep a steady speed then crank the throttle. If it revs up,DON'T touch the shifter but let off the throttle and see if it acts normal.another test of the clutch, BUT DON'T DO IT OFTEN, pull in clutch AND front brake.let out clutch like you are starting out.by the way, do this in a dry paved parking lot.if bike resists and stalls out,clutch should be fine.if bike doesn't move and revs up,clutch is slipping

Reactions: WilliamTech
#21 ·
.another test of the clutch, BUT DON'T DO IT OFTEN, pull in clutch AND front brake.let out clutch like you are starting out.by the way, do this in a dry paved parking lot.if bike resists and stalls out,clutch should be fine.if bike doesn't move and revs up,clutch is slipping
When I try this my bike doesn't stall....the rear tire spins.

#25 ·
Where are you located if you are close enough i could take a look at it for you but if you aren't give me a call so you don't have to deal with knuckle heads talking trash about noobie intros and high jacking your thread 2145161738

#28 ·
You need to remember that at vn750.com we are great at jacking off.if you want a serious forum join a goldwing forum;)

#29 ·
Tom's point of view on it is like this, Trey.if someone walks up to you that you don't know just comes up to ya and starts asking ya questions,how ya gonna react?I know Tom personally and he's a good guy.he's just set in his ways.I understand where he's coming from.

#30 ·
He wants to get to know the people he's interacting with.its a personal expiriance that is dissapearing in this age of social media. Interacting through machines that show no emotion or feelings is hard for us that didn't grow up with this **** shoved up our asses.we are used to you and me.in person I can not only hear and see how you feel but feel your bodies reaction and feel your pheromones and tell about you.I know you understand that,Trey?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.