Floppy gear selector wont go in any gear (video) - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 139 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Floppy gear selector wont go in any gear (video)

Yesterday i drove my bike around yard in 1st gear only and it was hard to get into first from neutral (though i have 0 experience in shifting)

Today, something happened where bike is in neutral (rear wheel free) BUT no neut. light and wont start unless i squeeze clutch. '

The gear selector is just totally floppy in full range.

Keep in mind i dont know anythibg beyond the pattern and how to drive in 1st so far..

Video of problem:
http://youtu.be/CSCNi-MWKoM

Bike is 2002 with 7.4k miles. The current oil is 10w-40 that is motorcycle safe (not energy/resource conserving)

Last edited by gidaeon; 04-17-2016 at 06:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 139 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 10:36 PM
Chucklehead

Classic symptom of the dreaded broken shift rod. You can flop that shift pedal all day and it won't do anything but make noise as it hits it's limit. The part needed to fix it is inexpensive but you will be tearing the motor down almost entirely to replace it. It is a good time to replace the balancers and stator while you are in there. Not a difficult job if mechanically inclined but quite involved. Good luck!!
RoadHopper likes this.

87 vn750at least that is what the frame #'s say
"Squirrel Bike" aka Jersey

Rat bike with a good PR agent

shaved and coastered
2 into 1 exhaust
rear 170 and front 110
Relocated R/R
custom dash with voltmeter
Spitfire windscreen
Plutonium plugs
Recovered seat without "butt hammers"
More to come
Praise to the Parts Goddess Crobins for needed things

When someone tells me "Great minds think alike" all I can think is "You Pervert"
post #3 of 139 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 10:45 PM
..have a vulcan good day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon159 View Post
Classic symptom of the dreaded broken shift rod. You can flop that shift pedal all day and it won't do anything but make noise as it hits it's limit. The part needed to fix it is inexpensive but you will be tearing the motor down almost entirely to replace it. It is a good time to replace the balancers and stator while you are in there. Not a difficult job if mechanically inclined but quite involved. Good luck!!
+ + + on ALL your words....
10-12 hours with engine pulll.....
The upgraded Shift linkage 2003(?) or newer..... ? ? ?
$8. - $10.00 part....

- _

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!

post #4 of 139 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 11:07 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Here is a link to roach's engine rebuild videos.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/31-engine...ld-videos.html

see number 7 for the dismantling, and number 17 for re-assembly.

If you are mechanically inclined and have garage, big shed or at least a covered driveway to work in, you may be able to change it yourself. Be patient and take your time if this your first experience in motorcycle repair. We all have to start somewhere. No one here started knowing everything we know now.
new rider 9984 likes this.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #5 of 139 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

I really hope that level of removal and teardown is not the case as thats is more than i can handle at this point. :-(

IF its actaully the lever comp, tie rod assembly, the spring or Pawl i CAN do totally do it. (I have not looked underneath bike) a quick peek can rule out the first two. <----EDIT: totally NO true, different model with some external linkages

I guess i am wondering how you diagnose shift rod over the other items?

Last edited by gidaeon; 04-18-2016 at 07:45 PM.
post #6 of 139 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 11:07 AM
1986 VN750

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gidaeon View Post
I really hope that level of removal and teardown is not the case as thats is more than i can handle at this point. :-(

IF its actaully the lever comp, tie rod assembly, the spring or Pawl i CAN do totally do it. (I have not looked underneath bike) a quick peek can rule out the first two.

I guess i am wondering how you diagnose shift rod over the other items?
If you see no external damage, it's the linkage. Super common, especially when people shift aggressively with heavy boots. I see it all the time, slamming into gear at lights, etc. It all adds up over time. I try to baby it into gear.

To be honest, if you don't want to do the work, find a donor engine for 250-500. They're more common back east, within drivable distance probably. Here in Cali there aren't many engines to come by.

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350
post #7 of 139 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

One note: my shift lever has no real side to side play 1/8" or less. Does that matter or indicate anything at this point?

Finding an engine would still involve removing and installation which is half the battle. I am seriously bummed but I now see how all the linkage is internal. I will start by watching roach's videos.

Should I remove the side covers first the by the shift lever, and the oil window (terminology?) to make sure there is nothing than can be done without complete engine removal? (A bit terrified of splitting if I have to remove other internals)

Removal isn't what scares me so much as the reassembly, I am concerned I would put it back together, miss something or have ill-fitment and have to tear it apart again.

2002 vn750
AGM battery, Shinko 230 tires oversized front
Ear shaved - k&n pods, drilled clutch basket
MCCT
40/138 jetting

If I can split a case and make it work - you can too!
Forum pictures:http://s150.photobucket.com/user/Gid...?sort=3&page=1

Last edited by gidaeon; 04-18-2016 at 08:38 PM.
post #8 of 139 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 08:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gidaeon View Post
Yesterday i drove my bike around yard in 1st gear only and it was hard to get into first from neutral (though i have 0 experience in shifting)

Today, something happened where bike is in neutral (rear wheel free) BUT no neut. light and wont start unless i squeeze clutch. '

The gear selector is just totally floppy in full range.

Keep in mind i dont know anythibg beyond the pattern and how to drive in 1st so far..

Video of problem:
http://youtu.be/CSCNi-MWKoM

Bike is 2002 with 7.4k miles. The current oil is 10w-40 that is motorcycle safe (not energy/resource conserving)

I heartily disagree! You knows PLENTY! And you knows how to make and post a good video! I lubbs videos, and you just finally solved one of my biggest questions to date...

WHAT DOES THE ENGINE SOUND LIKE RUNNING AT 1200 RPM.

Wooot! I have no tach. :/ But now i can ear it!

THANK YOU!
post #9 of 139 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 09:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thtanner View Post
If you see no external damage, it's the linkage. Super common, especially when people shift aggressively with heavy boots. I see it all the time, slamming into gear at lights, etc. It all adds up over time. I try to baby it into gear.

To be honest, if you don't want to do the work, find a donor engine for 250-500. They're more common back east, within drivable distance probably. Here in Cali there aren't many engines to come by.
Did you hear the sound of his engine as he leaned to the left to show the lever? That's the "grainy" sound that One1 was talking about in my own vid, right? or no?

And ima thinking about heading down to your place just to borrow your ears, actually, and yes, before tearing her down, and yes, with 7 year old front and 10 year old tires. ( grins )

THAT information, in and of itself, is priceless to my entire planning, scheduling, and fiscal income appropriation. I don't mind spending what little i have on the bike, but wasting money on it i simply cannot afford.
post #10 of 139 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 09:06 PM

Didn't catch the video until now... Yep, looks like the internal rod is broken.

That 1/8" side play is good. When you start taking the side case off, Note there are two thin washers that ride on the shifter shaft about 6-8" apart, they keep the shaft at the correct depth in the case and the side play tight.

There was one poster that was able to fish through the case holes and fix the spring clip, but it sounded like micro-surgery. I'm pretty sure your problem is deep inside with the long rod.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement