Splitted crankcase twice. Not shifting using the pedal. Too big gap -shaft and cam? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
Ok, understood.

At :45, looking at the pawl and it's slot in the center, when you shift, the pin in the center contacts the bottom of the slot and it shifts.

Right after that, when you try to shift the other direction, it doesn't look like the pin contacts the top of the slot. That's when it won't shift.

I'm wondering if the internal linkage rod could be bent or out of adjustment (if any). ??

Maybe shift some more and verify if that pin can ever contact the the top of the slot. ??

Doesn't look like it's throwing the pawl far enough in that one direction. The shift drum and gears appear to be fine from this angle.
New video:

It's not a problem shifting from 2nd to 3rd to 4th to 5th with the pedal. (Of course I need to help a little bit to turn the outputshaft.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 10:58 PM
Chucklehead

Almost looks like what happened to me. If while sitting you can shift into first but not back to neutral, the shift linkage is adjusted too long. Took me three case splits and bothering a friend for three weeks to discover it. In a nut shell the linkage hits the inside of the case and cannot move the pawl far enough to upshift. Possibly in the last split it could have become mis-adjusted. Sorry to say but the only fix is another splitting if I'm right. I hope I am wrong.

87 vn750at least that is what the frame #'s say
"Squirrel Bike" aka Jersey

Rat bike with a good PR agent

shaved and coastered
2 into 1 exhaust
rear 170 and front 110
Relocated R/R
custom dash with voltmeter
Spitfire windscreen
Plutonium plugs
Recovered seat without "butt hammers"
More to come
Praise to the Parts Goddess Crobins for needed things

When someone tells me "Great minds think alike" all I can think is "You Pervert"
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon159 View Post
Almost looks like what happened to me. If while sitting you can shift into first but not back to neutral, the shift linkage is adjusted too long. Took me three case splits and bothering a friend for three weeks to discover it. In a nut shell the linkage hits the inside of the case and cannot move the pawl far enough to upshift. Possibly in the last split it could have become mis-adjusted. Sorry to say but the only fix is another splitting if I'm right. I hope I am wrong.
Thanks for the reply!

Ok, but in my case I have no problems shifting from 1st to N

Shows best in this video, I think. (0:54)

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 11:55 PM

The first video showed it not shifting into 2nd from 1st, but you aren't trying that in the second video. Only 2 through 5 and back, which looks like it's ok there..

As dragon said, doesn't look like enough throw to get into 2nd. Internal rod hitting the case, I remember his post about that..

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 12:19 AM
ass hole extaordinaire

Dragon is right i talked him through this issue a while back the reason why you can go from 1st to neutral is that it is a short throw basically a half shift you are going to have to split the case and remove the nut that holds the shift shaft to the transmission so you can rotate the shaft a bit basically re-homing the shift linkage

I promise you this if you split the case and do the same test you did in the video while watching the internal portion of the shift linkage you will clearly see the problem it is a pain in the ass but overall since you have already split the case twice you should find it easier than ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
Sucks getting old but it beats not getting old.

i got my helmet but it sure makes licking the windows a chore

cell phone number for anyone who needs it 214-516-1738

photobucket link
http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/newrider9984/library/
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 12:51 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
Uh-oh....

Are you trying to shift to second with the bike just sitting there? Or did you have trouble when riding the bike?

Just sitting ... Kawi has positive neutral finder, will not go into 2nd unless the bike is moving a certain speed.
Does that also not shift if the RPMs are too high? If i wind a bit much out of first before shifting, sometimes it just blocks as if a brick wall was on top of the pedal.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 01:17 AM
ass hole extaordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadHopper View Post
Does that also not shift if the RPMs are too high? If i wind a bit much out of first before shifting, sometimes it just blocks as if a brick wall was on top of the pedal.
That is just gears not meshing right due to over rev which I doubt I have to tell you but here it is anyway over reving the engine is not a great practice and will accelerate the clock on engine wear

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
Sucks getting old but it beats not getting old.

i got my helmet but it sure makes licking the windows a chore

cell phone number for anyone who needs it 214-516-1738

photobucket link
http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/newrider9984/library/
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 03:13 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by new rider 9984 View Post
That is just gears not meshing right due to over rev which I doubt I have to tell you but here it is anyway over reving the engine is not a great practice and will accelerate the clock on engine wear
I usually like to be in 2nd gear before the other side of the intersection. Life doesn't always make that possible depending on various moving things and which direction they are heading.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 06:37 PM

ihlebek, just wonderinf if you got this fixed and are enjoying the bike?

2002 vn750
AGM battery, Shinko 230 tires oversized front
Ear shaved - k&n pods, drilled clutch basket
MCCT
40/138 jetting

If I can split a case and make it work - you can too!
Forum pictures:http://s150.photobucket.com/user/Gid...?sort=3&page=1
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 10:59 AM

Garage
Did anyone ever figure this out? Just rebuilt my entire motor only to go on a test ride and find it doesn't shift into second. But shifts with pliers fine. And the pawl hits the drum like it wants to shift, just like his!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement