Clutch plate orientation - had coffee grinder type symptoms and fixed now - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation Clutch plate orientation - had coffee grinder type symptoms and fixed now

I had coffee grinder type symptoms on my 99 vn750 and I was thinking about drilling the basket and putting in new plates. Also I was going to replace the basket if there were grooves worn in it.

I removed all the plates and steels. The frictions were like brand new... I put them back in exactly as they were and reassembled. Then I read the manual ... lol

The last (outer) clutch plate is supposed to be turned one notch in the basket... Mine were all lined up in the same groove.... I turned the outer one like the manual says to and voila! now my clutch woes are gone!

The previous owner replaced the clutch plates and never turned the last plate...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

just disassembling and reassembling the clutch can cure the coffee grinder for a time. It did on mine. it came back within 2 weeks. mine was assembled correctly.

the basket drilling, if I recall, is actually a kawasaki recommended procedure for curing the grinder, so they have researched it, and if they researched it, I am sure they did that on properly assembled clutches.

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganteddybear View Post
just disassembling and reassembling the clutch can cure the coffee grinder for a time. It did on mine. it came back within 2 weeks. mine was assembled correctly.

the basket drilling, if I recall, is actually a kawasaki recommended procedure for curing the grinder, so they have researched it, and if they researched it, I am sure they did that on properly assembled clutches.

I wasnt saying it was a cure all fix... but I was making a suggestion to check if ppl didnt know to turn the last plate.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

it seems the root problem is the plates dry out when the bike sits. that's what the holes do, is provide quicker lubrication to the plates on startup.

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 06:02 PM
Old Fart

Garage
The clutch will still work fine if you don't turn the last plate.
I actually assembled mine without doing that and had no issues. I'm not really sure what the point in doing that is. Seems like it only help to make the clutch slip more as the plates wore out.....Perhaps it's to warn you of that?

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
The clutch will still work fine if you don't turn the last plate.
I actually assembled mine without doing that and had no issues. I'm not really sure what the point in doing that is. Seems like it only help to make the clutch slip more as the plates wore out.....Perhaps it's to warn you of that?
I agree it works fine but it works smoother and easier on my bike with it turned... just what I found
Sponsored Links
Advertisement