Dies - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Flipper

Dies

have a problem when I let go of clutch. Bike dies unless you rev it way up and let out real slow. I've already bypassed the side stand switch temporarily. she has always starts, idles and revs like a dream.

I start it on the center stand, by pass the side stand switch (and with the side stand up), hold clutch, give some gas and start to let up clutch and dead!

do the same but rev real high and it will crawl into gear and ride down the road till u stop and hold the clutch. Once released, if u don't feather it heavy with revs again it will die. Shifting while already driving is fine b

Here's the rub......guy before me put a " new set of discs in" so he said. I've gone as far as disconnecting the shift bevel from the clamp to see if he put that on right. It seamed correct. The bevel shaft is turned clockwise until it stops. Then the clamp is assembled with the gap lined up with the tab on the cover.

Any guesses?

03 VN750, emmissions delete, jet'd 1 size up, pod filters, capped off vacuumed lines, stock exhaust.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 08:26 PM
Crowley

Clutch switch?

Look around for a safety bypass. It allows you to bypass all safety measures, and start the bike regardless of condition.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Flipper

It starts and idles fine. I have already tested/bypassed everything.it dies once in gear and u release the clutch with normal rpm's.

03 VN750, emmissions delete, jet'd 1 size up, pod filters, capped off vacuumed lines, stock exhaust.

Last edited by Mutch79; 07-08-2015 at 08:31 PM.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 08:40 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Check adjustment

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 11:26 PM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutch79 View Post
have a problem when I let go of clutch. Bike dies unless you rev it way up and let out real slow. I've already bypassed the side stand switch temporarily. she has always starts, idles and revs like a dream.

I start it on the center stand, by pass the side stand switch (and with the side stand up), hold clutch, give some gas and start to let up clutch and dead!

do the same but rev real high and it will crawl into gear and ride down the road till u stop and hold the clutch. Once released, if u don't feather it heavy with revs again it will die. Shifting while already driving is fine b

Here's the rub......guy before me put a " new set of discs in" so he said. I've gone as far as disconnecting the shift bevel from the clamp to see if he put that on right. It seamed correct. The bevel shaft is turned clockwise until it stops. Then the clamp is assembled with the gap lined up with the tab on the cover.

Any guesses?
I have several guesses. My first guess is that you don't like introductions done in the Newbie Check-In section. If you did that we could possibly learn a bit about your experience wrenching and riding and make appropriate suggestions based on that information. We could also learn your location so if one of our members is close by you could maybe get some help with the problem first hand. We could also possibly learn how old your bike is and what kind of care the bike has received such as being garage kept or outside year round. With the limited information we have right now most of us can just suggest you find the problem and fix it or you will not enjoy the bike to its full potential. We need some more information to before we can make experienced suggestions on possible corrective measures.

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 11:36 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan2000 View Post
I have several guesses. My first guess is that you don't like introductions done in the Newbie Check-In section. If you did that we could possibly learn a bit about your experience wrenching and riding and make appropriate suggestions based on that information. We could also learn your location so if one of our members is close by you could maybe get some help with the problem first hand. We could also possibly learn how old your bike is and what kind of care the bike has received such as being garage kept or outside year round. With the limited information we have right now most of us can just suggest you find the problem and fix it or you will not enjoy the bike to its full potential. We need some more information to before we can make experienced suggestions on possible corrective measures.
Amen,Brother Tom, amen

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Flipper

I know how to work on bikes. this is probably my 15th motorcycle and I never take them to a shop. i always work on myself. i'm located in Crawfordville Florida 20 miles south of Tallahassee. The vn750 is an 03 that has had all the emmisions garbage removed and ear shaved. Jetted one size ip with stock exhaust.

I purchased the bike a couple months ago and have been working on it ever since. i'm pretty sure my first post on here explains it all.

There's even a picture of the bike in my profile. I included all the pertinent about the bike in my signature but that does not show up at the bottom of your posts in this forum.

Please help not critique.

Last edited by Mutch79; 07-09-2015 at 07:45 AM.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 10:24 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Sounds like clutch adjustment or a bad clutch...

As the previous owner said he put in "new discs" I'd suspect he installed them wrong. Only cost you a new gasket to find out....

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 10:53 AM
Crowley

I don't understand how a poorly adjusted clutch or a bad clutch would make it die. If the clutch was frozen, it wouldn't disengage like it does. If it wasn't engaging, it would just lack movement. But I'm not picturing a situation where clutch components cause a dying problem.

Can someone educate me?
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 10:55 AM
Crowley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutch79 View Post
It starts and idles fine. I have already tested/bypassed everything.it dies once in gear and u release the clutch with normal rpm's.
How did you bypass everything? Maybe if you missed something, we could tell you. We need information.

In neutral it runs fine regardless of clutch position?

In first gear, how does it die while releasing clutch? Does it just shut off? Does it hesitate and bog? Does it vibrate or make any noise?

Is the clutch out most of the way when it starts? If not, in which position is the clutch lever when it dies, or starts to die?

Seems to me you missed a bit of key information.

Last edited by crowley1027; 07-09-2015 at 10:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement