Broken Gear Shifter - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
mav

Broken Gear Shifter

Hello everyone,

I need some help with my bike. I have a 1993 Kawasaki 750 Vulcan. And please forgive me I know nothing about bikes. But I do work on cars. I just brought this bike and the gear shifter I believe is broken. I brought the bike without having any fluids in the bike it was store for about a year. ie no oil, antifreeze, so forth. The gear shifter which is connected to the shift rod spins around in circles inside the motor or the transmission housing, I don't know what the proper term is. And is not shafting the gears in the transmission. Any help or thoughts would be great to get this bike back on the road.

Thanks

Mav
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 05:33 PM

Sounds like the internal linkage rod is broken. It runs from the inside end of the shaft, back to the shift drum and shift forks. It's a common weak point, usually broken by stomping the lever or dropping the bike.

I'd think you would hear the end link flipping over as the shaft is turned.

Later years used a larger shaft, but the same size end joints or heim joints.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 06:35 PM
Jack of all trades

And that's a complete disassembly of the motor.

2003 vn750
1988 Pontiac Trans Am (project/driver)

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 07:25 PM

Garage
I also have a similar problem my shift shaft is broken and instead of paying a lot to get it fixed I have decided to do the work myself but do not know much about the disassembly nor have a manual I was hoping someone would guide me in the right direction as to what seals,gaskets, etc... I would need for reassembly, also when I shift to first gear it slams in sometimes is that something I can fix while I have the motor apart. Any help would be greatly appreciated , ,2002 750 Vulcan
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 06:19 AM

Garage
Roach has youtube videos on complete disassembly. You should be able to find it easily. I watched it several times before I did mine. There's a few gaskets you'll need to replace in the process. Cover gaskets, head gaskets etc. You're probably looking at a couple hundred in parts.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 06:20 AM
ass hole extaordinaire

where are you located man if you are close enough i could help you out i have don this multiple times

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
Sucks getting old but it beats not getting old.

i got my helmet but it sure makes licking the windows a chore

cell phone number for anyone who needs it 214-516-1738

photobucket link
http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/newrider9984/library/
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 10:45 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark88 View Post
Roach has youtube videos on complete disassembly. You should be able to find it easily. I watched it several times before I did mine. There's a few gaskets you'll need to replace in the process. Cover gaskets, head gaskets etc. You're probably looking at a couple hundred in parts.
Roach's videos list
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18289

Pt.17 - Installing Internal Shift Mechanism (Tie Rod, Shift Shaft, Shift Arm), Oil Pump Chain Guide, Oil Return Line, Water Pump Mechanical Seal, Water Pump Impeller & Shaft.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 06-08-2015 at 10:48 PM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 04:59 PM

I'm having a similar problem but my shifter does not shift very easily at all but I can shift? It rest in neutral and will go into 2-5 and back but will not go to 1st at all. Seems to be a lot of bounce in it now that I didn't really notice before. The bike has been apart for about 3 weeks now and now that it's back together the shifter just isn't right! Please help
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 07:58 PM
Crowley

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgulley21 View Post
I'm having a similar problem but my shifter does not shift very easily at all but I can shift? It rest in neutral and will go into 2-5 and back but will not go to 1st at all. Seems to be a lot of bounce in it now that I didn't really notice before. The bike has been apart for about 3 weeks now and now that it's back together the shifter just isn't right! Please help
If you disassembled the shift rod linkage, you may have reassembled it at the wrong angle. It's hard to describe, but the shift rod (the one inside that breaks on older motorcycles) runs horizontal in the engine. The linkage on either side should be parallel, and at a specific angle.

Text for reference: /____/ shift rod with tilted linkages.

If you reassembled incorrectly, it might be rubbing up against the oil line right next to it.

If you didn't do any of this, disregard my entire post.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 09:55 PM

I didn't tear the engine apart at all. I had just done the ear shave had tanks and fenders painted a rims powder coated and done some other tidy up work. My fear is that while my dad and brother were trying to move the bike my brother pushed to hard on the shifter and now it seems to have a little more springy action and not as stiff as it should be. I was able to ride once I got the bike from neutral to 2nd and it shifted up and back down to ride but always come to rest in neutral. Wasn't exactly going in to 2nd from neutral that great either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement