Jumping in first gear... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Cool Jumping in first gear...

Hi, I have recently purchased the VN750. Generally runs really well although I have noticed when I start a journey it likes to jump in 1st gear as I let the clutch out - a whirring noise does follows. I'm sure its not rider error as I have owned a lot of bikes. Problem occurs when it is cold and starting out on a ride.
Any thoughts would be appreciated. Jumped at junction earlier and it was just a tad scary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 05:40 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaka-kdj View Post
Hi, I have recently purchased the VN750. Generally runs really well although I have noticed when I start a journey it likes to jump in 1st gear as I let the clutch out - a whirring noise does follows. I'm sure its not rider error as I have owned a lot of bikes. Problem occurs when it is cold and starting out on a ride.
Any thoughts would be appreciated. Jumped at junction earlier and it was just a tad scary.
Check this thread
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22848

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

yup, probably coffee grinder syndrome. more annoyance than anything, unless your not ready or expecting it. it is fixable, as the thread mentioned details.

one other possibility, is rear splines starting to fail..

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 06:40 PM

If one were to replace the clutch plates, would this also solve the coffee grinder problem? Or is it necessary to drill the clutch basket to get rid of the problem?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

replacing the plates may solve it, but it is not a 100% fix.

I took my clutch apart, flipped the plates over, and rotated them position wise, and it eliminated the problem for a couple months, then it came back.

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 07:16 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballard View Post
If one were to replace the clutch plates, would this also solve the coffee grinder problem? Or is it necessary to drill the clutch basket to get rid of the problem?
You would need to drill the holes in order to get proper lubrication to the clutch plates. Our wet clutches don't get wet enough.

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 11:50 AM

I replaced my plates, but jumpy-ness and grinding didn't go away until I drilled the clutch basket... no problem at all after I did, and clutch was smooth as butter...

Also make sure your clutch cable is adjusted properly...

------------------------------
GloryRider
Atlanta, GA
Current Ride: 1995 Vulcan 88 (1500A9)
Purchased Dec. 2014
approx. 6,800 miles

Previous Bike: 2000 VN750 "Glory"
With homemade stator
Details on stator build here

"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul"

"You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime." - Burt Munro
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2015, 12:45 PM

Arrow Be Careful With Coffee Grinder!

One thing you can do is, pull the clutch lever in/out in neutral when you first get it started. Then plunk it into gear and repeat the process, just letting the clutch engage slightly. I do this on cold starts and it eliminates the problem, avoiding surprises.

Have to be careful with coffee grinder syndrome, combined with 2 or 3 other things, it put me down on the asphalt once.

What can happen is, you start letting the clutch lever out, but the clutch doesn't engage. You keep letting the lever out, then the clutch fully engages all at once, like you tried to do a drag race launch. At that moment you will also hear the coffee grinder noise. Having the clutch grab like that unexpectedly can put you down on the ground.

When I went down, I also had earbuds in and music playing, so I didn't hear the rpm like I should. The bike wouldn't start moving so I raised the rpm while still letting the lever out. When coffee grinder kicked in, the clutch grabbed full on, and the bike leaped out about 20' from where I was left standing. The extended sissy bar hit me square in the back, but somehow I stayed on my feet. Sheared a couple of bolts off the sissy bar.

When this happened, it wasn't a full cold start. It had been ridden, then parked for an hour or two. They tend to cool down pretty quick.

I guess the the 3rd distraction was the 10 pretty girls playing basketball in the neighbor's driveway, and the fact that the bike wouldn't start right away and backfired a couple of times. I must have been hilarious to watch.

I ran some Seafoam in my oil (200 miles before oil change) for another problem, and coincidentally or not, the grinder syndrome isn't as bad as it used to be. Seems to have cured the other symptom too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement