Splines gone, few questions - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Southern IL
Posts: 222
iTrader: (2)
 
Splines gone, few questions

So found out the other day my splines were probably shot, today i tore it apart and yea they are gone, atleast the coupler splines, still going to get a final drive aswell just to be safe. But anywho the shaft housing is covered in rust and i'm wanting to clean it all out, went to try and pull out the shaft and i'm able to get it off the front splines but i cant get it any farther than that, is there some special way to get it out or what(or am i just making the job more difficult by trying ot remove something that doesn't need to be)? Also the moly, is this stuff good enough?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...tal&store=3742

doesn't say the % of moly but seeing as what it says that its for i would assume it will do the job pretty well.

1996 VN750
V&H pipes
HID headlight
Ear shave
Clubman Bars
Matte black plasti-dip "paint" job.
yousername is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 08:24 PM
200% senile
 
Texas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Close to San Antonio, TX
Posts: 164
iTrader: (2)
 
If you order the Moly60 off of ebay right now, it will be there before you can find and get your other parts shipped to you.

Shark88 had a final drive for sale and at a bargain price too. Might PM him to see if he still has it. https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58769

1996 VN 750
2007 Vulcan Mean Streak SE

When I was younger I was afraid I'd die riding. Now that I'm old and falling apart, I'm afraid I won't.
Texas is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,419
iTrader: (5)
 
removal (total) of the driveshaft requires it to come out the front of the swing arm.

remove the front bevel, and it will pull right out (front bevel removal also requires removing the rear exhaust pipe)

watch fleabay close. you may be able to pick up an entire driveshaft with coupler for less than a new coupler alone (thats the route I went)

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
michiganteddybear is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 08:59 PM
200% senile
 
Texas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Close to San Antonio, TX
Posts: 164
iTrader: (2)
 
When I was replacing my final drive and coupling, I had my drive-shaft all the way out because I had removed the swingarm to check out the bearings and seals.

If you try to just replace the coupler on the drive-shaft, there is a clip that holds it on that is hard to get out of there without the special tool that is listed here somewhere.

1996 VN 750
2007 Vulcan Mean Streak SE

When I was younger I was afraid I'd die riding. Now that I'm old and falling apart, I'm afraid I won't.
Texas is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 09:43 PM
..have a vulcan good day!
 
WilliamTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pensacola, FL.
Posts: 4,508
iTrader: (17)
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by yousername View Post
So found out the other day my splines were probably shot, today i tore it apart and yea they are gone, atleast the coupler splines, still going to get a final drive aswell just to be safe. But anywho the shaft housing is covered in rust and i'm wanting to clean it all out, went to try and pull out the shaft and i'm able to get it off the front splines but i cant get it any farther than that, is there some special way to get it out or what(or am i just making the job more difficult by trying ot remove something that doesn't need to be)? Also the moly, is this stuff good enough?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...tal&store=3742

doesn't say the % of moly but seeing as what it says that its for i would assume it will do the job pretty well.
Personally, I would not use any Moly grease when % of Moly is not claimed on label. I desire two year assurance on Moly grease.
.....just sayin'


'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!
WilliamTech is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 09:49 PM
Linkmeister Supreme
 
OlHossCanada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 7,960
iTrader: (8)
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas View Post
When I was replacing my final drive and coupling, I had my drive-shaft all the way out because I had removed the swingarm to check out the bearings and seals.

If you try to just replace the coupler on the drive-shaft, there is a clip that holds it on that is hard to get out of there without the special tool that is listed here somewhere.
You need a narrow pair of circlip retaining ring pliers like the ones in fergy's spline lube thread. The pair shown here are Klein 73242s.

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17274

current link to Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-73...m/B00085EQ6G/2

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15


TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 09-22-2014 at 09:58 PM.
OlHossCanada is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 05:38 AM
200% senile
 
Texas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Close to San Antonio, TX
Posts: 164
iTrader: (2)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlHossCanada View Post
You need a narrow pair of circlip retaining ring pliers like the ones in fergy's spline lube thread. The pair shown here are Klein 73242s.

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17274

current link to Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-73...m/B00085EQ6G/2
Ah yes, that's the tool, thank you. We bought that tool back when we were doing the shaft cuz' our other sets of ring pliers would not go deep enough inside the coupling to reach that clip.

1996 VN 750
2007 Vulcan Mean Streak SE

When I was younger I was afraid I'd die riding. Now that I'm old and falling apart, I'm afraid I won't.
Texas is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Southern IL
Posts: 222
iTrader: (2)
 
Yea i'm already talking to shark about his final drive, and thanks for the info about the swing arm, not sure if im gonna go that route then. I can probably get it cleaned out good enough without taking the whole thing apart.

1996 VN750
V&H pipes
HID headlight
Ear shave
Clubman Bars
Matte black plasti-dip "paint" job.
yousername is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Once registered, your User Name"cannot be changed". We can make exceptions within 7 days, but after that, it is set in stone.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome