Surprise! Splines dry and worn - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Surprise! Splines dry and worn

I guess I shouldn't have been surprised when I pulled the final drive unit and found the splines and coupler dry and worn. The shaft splines are worn about half way through but the coupler looks like it could've given up at any moment. I've ordered a new coupler, I'll pack it with grease and ride the bike. I wonder why the coupler/ shaft unit wasn't made wet? If it ran in a bath of gear lube it would probably last forever. I'll partially blame this on the dealer. The previous owner was very good about having the bike serviced and the dealer replaced the tires. The dry spline problem is well known, seems the dealer would've greased it while the rear wheel was off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014, 11:03 PM

Maybe it was a new mechanic with OCD and he wiped it all off thinking it was too messy...

Malibu Shades windscreen, headlight visor, custom dashboard with voltmeter and clock, luggage rack, extended backrest, Viking saddlebags and toolbag, Wingerline engine guard with foot pads, light bar with halogen bulbs, Hardley Sportster muffs with crossover, homemade coasters, earshave with K&N pods, 142/42 jets with 2 shims each needle, MCCT's, AGM battery, coil relay mod, Iridiums with yellow NGK plug wires, relocated R/R, WOLO air horn, VN750.com chrome radiator guard
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 06:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiebezer View Post
Maybe it was a new mechanic with OCD and he wiped it all off thinking it was too messy...
Maybe. He must've have been extremely OCD because there wasn't a trace of grease to be found.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 08:07 AM
2014 KLR 650!

No, there were four extra bolts to take off so...they changed the tire and...they changed the tire.

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 09:13 AM
200% senile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsavant View Post
I guess I shouldn't have been surprised when I pulled the final drive unit and found the splines and coupler dry and worn. The shaft splines are worn about half way through but the coupler looks like it could've given up at any moment. I've ordered a new coupler, I'll pack it with grease and ride the bike. I wonder why the coupler/ shaft unit wasn't made wet? If it ran in a bath of gear lube it would probably last forever. I'll partially blame this on the dealer. The previous owner was very good about having the bike serviced and the dealer replaced the tires. The dry spline problem is well known, seems the dealer would've greased it while the rear wheel was off.
I can't be specific as to all other models of Vulcans cuz' I simply don't know, but most others have a weep hole passage where some of the final drive lube makes it way over to keep the pinion gear splines lubed.

The dry spline problem may be well known to us 'on this forum' but I suspect that is not the case when it comes to the vast majority of dealers and the younger techs.

I bought a 96 model 750 less than a year ago with 19K on it. Obviously well maintained, but when I checked the splines they were dry with the splines about to the point of stripping out.

My point of all this is you either know or you don't know about the need to grease the splines on the 750. If you know, it get's done, if you don't, it likely doesn't.

1996 VN 750
2007 Vulcan Mean Streak SE

When I was younger I was afraid I'd die riding. Now that I'm old and falling apart, I'm afraid I won't.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 05:43 PM
Concert connoisseur

Garage
I would simply not trust a dealer to do it or a shop while changing my tire. it is a pretty simple procedure for the very novice mechanic and the peace of mind in doing it yourself and knowing its right is priceless. when I have tires replaced I remove them myself and take just the wheel to have it changed, they want an extra 60-80 bucks if they have to remove it! Then I totally clean the splines and rear wheel of all previous grease and apply new moly 60!

1986 vn 750 aka "Huck Farley"
42,000 miles
Rick's stator and rr
Tuxedo stator cover mod
pickup coil mod
dampers replaced
agm m/f battery
Harley sportster exhaust, degoated
Hid conversion
splines lubed
custom "vn750.com" grill cover
NGK Iridium spark plugs

acct to mcct mod https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

rekeying locks, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7309

stator replacement walkthrough, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11369
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 06:41 AM Thread Starter

New coupler will arrive today, I'll replace the worn out one with the new one and pack it with moly. Should be good for a while. If I sell the bike I'll advise the new owner of the status of the splines.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 12:03 PM
200% senile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsavant View Post
New coupler will arrive today, I'll replace the worn out one with the new one and pack it with moly. Should be good for a while. If I sell the bike I'll advise the new owner of the status of the splines.
Shark has a final drive for sale with good splines at a super bargain price. https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58769

1996 VN 750
2007 Vulcan Mean Streak SE

When I was younger I was afraid I'd die riding. Now that I'm old and falling apart, I'm afraid I won't.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas View Post
Shark has a final drive for sale with good splines at a super bargain price. https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58769
Wow, that is a great price. Thanks for the tip!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Got the new coupler on but having a helluva time getting the snap ring back in. Also, the drawing shows an o ring on the drive shaft end of the coupler but if the o ring is in place, there's not room to get the snap ring back on. There was no o ring when I pulled off the old coupler. The drive shaft has come off the front drive, the sticky says its easy to put back but I can't seem to pull the boot back far enough to get my hand in there. Don't want to pull the front drive. Gave up for today because I could feel the frustration setting in. Must have patience!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement