Engine almost wants to stall when in first gear, full clutch applied - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Engine almost wants to stall when in first gear, full clutch applied

I've noticed (as I slowly eliminate other problems) that I'm having issues with my bike when stopping at stop lights/stop signs while riding. I'm in first gear with the clutch fully applied and as soon as I come to a stop I can hear the engine start to labor just a bit, like it wants to stall out. Every so often (one out of every 40 or so stops) it fully stalls out. I can start her right back up and no problems.

I've raised my idle speed to about 1500 for now, which sounds a little high but seems to keep the problem at bay. It's just annoying to roll up at a stop light and my engine is still revving relatively high.

I've tried adjusting the clutch cable in both directions, no matter what my rear wheel seems to spin even with the clutch fully engaged - although when I tightened things up too much I couldn't get the bike to move in first gear, clutch out.

At this point I've got it where the clutch feels right (about 4-6mm of play it seems) while riding, but up on the center stand the rear wheel still has a good spin to it. If I stop it with my boot I can feel it has quite a bit of force behind it, and once I fully stop it (simulating a stop at a light in 1st with clutch handle in), I can hear the engine stutter.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 10:11 PM
2014 KLR 650!

Your clutch lever is too loose. Turn your lever adjuster out a little next time you are stopped and see if your idle goes up. You need to then turn down your idle back to 1100. Three rear wheel can spin a little on the stand.

What you are trying to do is make the sleeve around the cable a little longer using either the clutch lever adjust or the barrel adjuster in the middle of the cable.

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World

Last edited by Goofyfoot2001; 07-18-2014 at 10:15 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

I'm going to mess with it a bit more tomorrow. It seemed like no matter what I did to adjust it, if I stopped the rear wheel with my boot she would start to stall - even if when I took it off the stand it wouldn't move in 1st gear. Doesn't make sense to me.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator

possible causes for excess drag on oil bath clutches

improper adjustment
improper oil (can cause issues with the friction disks)
warped disks (either friction, or steels, or both)
dirt/other buildup on the steel plates

it is normal to have a small amount of drag on oil bath clutches.. the clearance between the friction and steel plates is in the hundredths or even thousandths of an inch.

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2014, 12:06 AM
Chasin' the blacktop

Several of us have had problems with the bike really wanting to idol low and occasionally die when hot. In my case I suspect that one or more of the steel plates in my clutch is slightly warped causing extra drag, especially when hot.

With your bike in gear (engine off) does it take a fair amount of force (compared to when it is in neutral) to push across a flat floor? Mine does and that's why I suspect my clutch plates may be slightly warped. Usually I idol around 1200 rpm but when things are really warmed up during a long ride occasionally the idol speed is low at a stop and the engine may die.

[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] The mini-skirt is a very functional article of clothing. With it a woman can run much faster; and because of it she may have too.
North Georgia

Last edited by Spencer1; 07-19-2014 at 12:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement