Drive shaft housing/final drive warm to the touch - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

Drive shaft housing/final drive warm to the touch

Ok, another question prefaced with " this may be a dumb question but", has anyone ever paid attention to whether the shaft housing and final drive unit gets quite warm but not really hot to the touch? After riding about 1.5 hrs yesterday I felt the shaft housing and it did feel warm. I know engine heat will be transferred along the housing and I'm thinking thats why it's warm. My concern is that in the six months that I've owned the bike, I've not checked the splines. I know I should and I intend to when I replace the rear tire. The PO maintained the bike well so I think the shaft maintenance has been done. I'm hoping to take about a 400 mile trip this upcoming weekend and I don't need any shaft problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 08:02 AM

Warm to the touch

It is normal for the drive train to get warm from just normal friction. I would take a look at it so that you have the piece of mind instead of "he probably took care of it".

Mcneuby

New to me 2004 15k Last liscened in 2011. Stock as they come.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

a 60 mile ride can warm up the final drive pretty good.. as long as you have proper amount and type of lube in the final drive, your probably good there.

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, the probably took care of it isn't good enough for me either. I have to know for sure. I think it's ok but I will definitely check it when I replace the tire. Thanks for the response.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

I was only referring to the oil in the final drive... easily checked by removing one plug and checking the level.

the splines need the rear wheel and drive to be removed from the swing arm.. not hard, just more work

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 10:41 AM
200% senile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsavant View Post
The PO maintained the bike well so I think the shaft maintenance has been done. I'm hoping to take about a 400 mile trip this upcoming weekend and I don't need any shaft problems.
That is 'if he knew' to check. I would not have known to check the splines if I had not read it here.

I did check, they were dry and on the verge of stripping out. Replaced final drive and shaft with a used unit off ebay. New seal, Moly60 and now good to go.

1996 VN 750
2007 Vulcan Mean Streak SE

When I was younger I was afraid I'd die riding. Now that I'm old and falling apart, I'm afraid I won't.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

a simple, and hardly far from conclusive indication is how far will the rear wheel turn with it in gear (engine off)??

mine with nearly invisible splines would roll about 6 inches.. now with good splines only rolls about 3...

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Good test. I'll do that today. I have checked final drive fluid and its full. Thanks for the info.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 03:55 PM
200% senile

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganteddybear View Post
a simple, and hardly far from conclusive indication is how far will the rear wheel turn with it in gear (engine off)??

mine with nearly invisible splines would roll about 6 inches.. now with good splines only rolls about 3...
That's good info to know. We had just got the bike and put maybe 50 to 60 miles on it before we tore things down to check after reading about it on here. Looked to be a very well maintained bike but they evidently didn't know about checking the splines.

1996 VN 750
2007 Vulcan Mean Streak SE

When I was younger I was afraid I'd die riding. Now that I'm old and falling apart, I'm afraid I won't.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

I tried the test and only got a few inches travel on the rear wheel. I'll feel a lot better when I've properly lubed the splines though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement