Clutch went south - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Clutch went south

Hello everyone i am in good hopes that someone can give me some advice. this is a new bike for me 1986 vulcan 750. This is what happened.
Bought the bike from someone he told me the clutch went out and needed replacement. ok no big deal sinse the bike is in great shape. it started at the guys house. i bought it. now the problem
I trailer the bike home and start it again. it goes Klunk. not super loud but a klunk engine shuts down
i take it apart the clutch plates look good and shiney the friction plates look worn however the last two friction plates was in peieces i found all the pieces but now the engine will not turn over it goes klunk when i spin by hand it only rotates about halfway either direction then stops like its jammed.
figured i would ask for some info whille i wait for the clutch tool to arrive to remove the clutch basket and examine the innards
thanks for any help
Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 05:52 PM
Dr. Vulcanstein

Sounds like you have a chunk of metal between your clutch gear and crankshaft gear possibly from the broken clutch plate. What kind of clutch tool did you get? Just curious....I just used a modded pair of c-clamp grips....thanks Roach. Also if you need a new clutch I have a used one in good shape, just pm me if interested. Best of luck to ya.

Cool username btw.

.... - " " - .
..( ___/\ /))
.( l vv/ )(
.) \ O/ )((
..(( .)(. )\ \
.....) . ( / /
.....( )
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Jadabull, this is what i am thinking i bought the tool off of ebay will post link. my buddy thinks maybe one of the springs behind the clutch basket may be jamming something up as it did run breifly then klunked and no go kinda like putting a stick in the spokes of a tire

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

thats what I was thinking Jada.

while the basket is out, you might want to take the time to drill it. search 'coffee grinder syndrom' for the fix. just a preventive measure, as not all vn750's show the issue
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

I thought the same thing, kinda like someone putting a stick in the spokes of the bike wheel, Thanks Jadabull Spiritwalker fits the path so to say lol. i will inbox you about that. hope it really is just something simple like that. guess we shall see over the weekend. Jadabull look on ebay i just typed in clutch removal tool for vulcan 750 and it pops up thank you again

@ Michiganteddybear I saw that in the threads i think i will cause it dont look like its been drilled yet.. will keep everyone posted on the outcome as i have to clean carbs check the splines final drive etc
anyone know where i can get a repair manual from fairly cheap as its gonna come in handy thanks again

Last edited by Spiritwalker; 03-18-2014 at 07:00 PM.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

you can download it for free

someone will chime in with the link I am sure
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 08:05 PM
Chasin' the blacktop

When I removed clutch basket I just used a battery driven impact wrench with a 30mm socket. took a little pounding to spin the nut but the engine never turned a bit with the impact wrench.

[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] The mini-skirt is a very functional article of clothing. With it a woman can run much faster; and because of it she may have too.
North Georgia
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 08:06 PM
Banned

The best service manual is a link in Kanuck's post signature.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 10:54 PM
Dr. Vulcanstein

If you want a manual in a book rather then download search for it in sell or swap. Someone just in the last 2 weeks was trying to sell one. If you can't find it here they are always on eBay.

.... - " " - .
..( ___/\ /))
.( l vv/ )(
.) \ O/ )((
..(( .)(. )\ \
.....) . ( / /
.....( )
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks you guys, i downloaded the manual from kunucks profile this will be a great help.
weekends almost here so i will not only find what is jaming the gears behinf the clutch basket but will be going over a number of other things and checking to see what i may need as a will order most of anything i need at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement