Need final drive - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Need final drive

Out riding with my son-in-law this morning. 4 miles from home - crunch, grind, no go any gear. Grinding noise from left rear. Knew exactly what it was from here and Yahoo group. Bike shop (independent) promised me that they had checked and lubed the rear drive splines when I had them put the new tires on. I asked them specifically twice if they had done so and was assured they had, used moly grease, and all was well. Guess I won't be doing any business there any longer.
Got it all apart, back end splines gone, dry as dust, red dust all over. Splines totally gone in coupling, half gone on drive. Front dry but looks OK. Bitch getting the spap ring off to pull the coupling. Thanks to those who recommended pulling shocks and dropping wheel. That part went well.
SO.
Anybody got a good spare final drive and coupling laying around that are willing to part with for a reasonable price? I will even come and get it if it's not too far from Maryland (500 miles). Already checked eBay, none there.

It's a 2001 with 18,000 miles

Thanks to all,

Dennis in Maryland
AKA - The Krusty Old Phart
Still turnin' burnin' and lurnin'
http://photos.yahoo.com/krustyoldphart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 09:21 AM
Forum Faciliator

Re: Need final drive

Sorry I don't have one. Dianna does have a spare drive shaft though. One thing you may want to try that has worked for me in the past. When you see someone posting a lot of parts on ebay, that means they are parting out a bike. I sometimes email them and ask if they have part xyz and how much do they want for it. I've picked up a few parts before they got posted to ebay this way. Also, look on line for motorcycle salvage yards. They usually have an email form you can fill in, and they will respond pretty quickly, if they hafe the part. Don't be afraid to counter offer them a price on the quote they give you for the part. Sometimes they will ****er, sometimes not.

Just for grins, did you check http://www.ronayers.com/main.cfm to see how much the new parts run for? If so post the part numbers so we are sure which ones we are trying to help you track down.

Good luck

RB

Red Baron
Binghamton, NY
Alright Already, Lets Ride!!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Have one ordered through rice dealer, with all the bits and pieces like o-rings and clips. Also ordered the Honda Moly 60 and the lithium spray lube. A bit more than orderering off the internet, but one stop shopping, and I should have it before the weekend. I have had decent transactions and service with dealer previously, so I am fairly confident that they will come through as promised.

Saw a Yamaha Warrior in the show room. Yum. My next bike if I ever hit the lottery.

Thanks for you reply.

Dennis in Maryland
AKA - The Krusty Old Phart
Still turnin' burnin' and lurnin'
http://photos.yahoo.com/krustyoldphart

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 02:18 PM

[QUOTE=dennisinmd]
Saw a Yamaha Warrior in the show room. Yum. My next bike if I ever hit the lottery.
QUOTE]

I have seen Warrior in a local dealership and thought it looked wicked fast. I have felt for quite some time that Yamaha has had more styling in their bikes than Honda or even Kawasaki.

Something about their engine treatments just make the motors look way too cool.

Hoot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement