HELP! Bike won't roll - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation HELP! Bike won't roll

So I performed (or attempted to perform) the spline lube procedure today.

I got it all back together and now the bike won't roll when in nuetral.

I torqued the axle nut back to the 80 ft-lbs that it spec'd at, but when I do the brake assembly on the right side (looking from the back) becomes too tight and the bike won't roll.

Everything else seems to be in place, but the bike will no longer roll. Any advice is much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

For the time being I loosened the axle nut a little (less than a 1/16 of a turn) and now the bike rolls.

Is this ok? Is it safe to use as is or is there still a problem?

I'm pretty confident I put everything back together the way it goes.

Thanks in advance
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 09:27 PM

Garage
The spacer inside the wheel is suppose to keep it from binding. Just make sure it's all together properly.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 09:32 PM

Spacer

Yes, when I lubed my splines, the same occurred. Wheel binded when torqued, and not when backed off. The 1" X 3" spacer was laying next to my sockets.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Is the spacer y'all are referring to between the Swing arm and brake assembly? If so have that one back in place.

I do not remember removing any other spacer or seeing anything fall out of the wheel when I was putting it back together, but I will look tomorrow morning before work.

Thanks!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 11:37 PM
Old Truck Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stdeb View Post
Is the spacer y'all are referring to between the Swing arm and brake assembly? If so have that one back in place.

I do not remember removing any other spacer or seeing anything fall out of the wheel when I was putting it back together, but I will look tomorrow morning before work.

Thanks!
The spacer the we are refurring to is inside the assembly. It can't be seen from outside. It falls out and rolls away and looks like a deep socket. It is easy to loose.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 06:09 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Also, check your rear brake adjustment arm. Back off the tension nut and see if that is holding you from rolling. Just a thought.
Bronson

2005 VN 750
MF Battery
Plexistar windshield
.040 pilot jets.
Splines lubed 1955 mi.
Marbled
Iridium plugs
Reset pickup coil gaps.
Metzeler ME=880s
Shindengen MOSFET RR
V & H Cruzers
Degoated
Speed bleeders
MCCTs.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 06:23 PM
Banned

92027A, is a spacer between the sealed bearings. Has to be there. Did you R&R the wheel brgs.

http://www.procaliber.com/oempartfin.../I12I1288F2240
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 08:24 PM

Garage
Sometimes when you pull the rear splines off of the shaft, the shaft will slid off of the front splines. Hope it's lined up. If not though, the shaft would have been to long I'm thinking.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses! I fixed the problem this evening

The problem was due to the spacer missing. After looking at the diagram earlier this morning I realized that there is actually 2 of the P/N 92027A in the assembly. 1 between the 2 sealed bearings and one that is "free" and goes between the final drive and the wheel. Is this correct?

Anyways, I found a guy selling the rear axle assembly for a VN750 on ebay that lives about 15 mi down the road so I save shipping I went ahead I met the guy at a gas station and bought the assembly ($25). Put the missing spacer in plane and the wheel rolls like it should.

I do not believe that the spacer was ever in the assembly. I purchased the bike used and the guy said he had a mechanic change out the final drive since the splines failed on him. I bet that somewhere in the process the spacer went missing and the whoever did the quick fix and back off the axle nut torque and went on with life.

I took it for a cruise once finished and maybe I'm delusional, but the bike seems to run smoother than ever now. Could be the fact that I know all the splines are lubed properly (found out that whoever did it last used crappy lube).

Anyways thanks for all the quick responses. I needed the bike together to ride up for a free rider safety course this weekend. This is a great site and I hope that I can start contributing to it one day as well. I really appreciate the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement