No Power to Back Tire - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

No Power to Back Tire

So...I was out riding all day today and on the way back to my house, every time I would let go of the throttle i would here a loud "click" like something was getting caught. I stopped to look at the bike and saw/heard nothing. Went to drive away and the problem was gone. A couple miles down the road I was accelerating after a stop sign and all of a sudden lost ALL power to the rear tire. I can turn the bike on and the engine runs like a champ. Once i shift into first gear, I hear a bunch of clatter coming from either the back hub or where the shaft connects into the engine. This clatter happens regardless if the clutch is in or out and the sound gets louder with more gas. No power comes to the rear tire all i get is the clatter instead.

Not sure what to do. Fix, sell, cry? lol

Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 09:04 PM
1986 VN750

Garage
That sounds like your drive shaft splines have failed. This happens if they were not lubricated properly.

They're not really difficult to replace, but can run $200-$250. I have one I can sell for $200+shipping that's in good shape. I also see a few for $250 on eBay as well.

Here is a write-up on replacement/maintenance of it. https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17274

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

I was thinking that, but why would the chatter still occur even if the clutch is pulled in?

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 09:19 PM
Old Truck Junkie

You still have some clutch drag that turn the gears.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 09:20 PM

Garage
Yes, there is always a little tension on the drive train even with the clutch pulled in. Your drive splines are shot.....$10 worth of grease and 1/2 hr. would have kept that from happening. Sorry for the news.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 11:28 PM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Prez View Post
So...I was out riding all day today and on the way back to my house, every time I would let go of the throttle i would here a loud "click" like something was getting caught. I stopped to look at the bike and saw/heard nothing. Went to drive away and the problem was gone. A couple miles down the road I was accelerating after a stop sign and all of a sudden lost ALL power to the rear tire. I can turn the bike on and the engine runs like a champ. Once i shift into first gear, I hear a bunch of clatter coming from either the back hub or where the shaft connects into the engine. This clatter happens regardless if the clutch is in or out and the sound gets louder with more gas. No power comes to the rear tire all i get is the clatter instead.

Not sure what to do. Fix, sell, cry? lol

Any help is appreciated.
First thing to do is to take some time to read the Vulcan Verses. You have been a memaber since 2011 and with only 29 posts. You need to take advantage of the information offered here to avoid these costly problems. The fact that you could have read about the potential problem and found out how to avoid it a long time ago saving time and money is what you should be crying about. Live and learn but I hope you do spend some time reading the ten things you should know soon and help yourself from these problems.The VN 750 is a great bike but like anything it takes a little maintenance to keep it running correctly. $10 worth of grease that will last multiple spline upkeeps and a half to one hour of your time vs. what you have now.........priceless.

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles

Last edited by Vulcan2000; 07-27-2013 at 11:34 PM.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 12:05 AM
Prowling Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark88 View Post
Yes, there is always a little tension on the drive train even with the clutch pulled in. Your drive splines are shot.....$10 worth of grease and 1/2 hr. would have kept that from happening. Sorry for the news.
Not if they were already on their way out it wouldn't. Don't judge what you don't know.

Just a heads up OP, expect to be corned like some helpless animal by other members because you didn't take care of your splines correctly.

I only understand what I don't understand.

Last edited by blazblu82; 07-28-2013 at 12:23 AM.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

Just so you all know who think i haven't read any posts. I greased the splines two years ago the second week I bought the bike. Used Honda Moly to grease it. That's where my confusion is. With that being said, do we still think its the splines?

Dan
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 08:16 AM
Prowling Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Prez View Post
Just so you all know who think i haven't read any posts. I greased the splines two years ago the second week I bought the bike. Used Honda Moly to grease it. That's where my confusion is. With that being said, do we still think its the splines?

Dan
Yes, mine failed under near identical conditions; however, mine were never lubed.

Get that tire off and you'll know for certain.

I only understand what I don't understand.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 08:36 AM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

the problem is not what DP did or didn't do, it's what is he going to do! no use crying over spilled milk. you need to pull the rear wheel and see if in fact, if that is the problem (splines). I too, believe it is.
so first things first. pull the wheel. then if the is in fact the problem, do what you have to do to get the bike back on the road. there are more than enough members here to help you out. and what I mean by "help", is not bashing the guy for what he didn't do to get to this point!

if it goes vroom or boom, I LIKE IT!

Last edited by ruger; 07-28-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement