faster vulcan? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Banned

faster vulcan?

While waiting for my motorcycle parts, in between a soffet R&R, adjusting my bicycle and mowing 1 1/2 a. today, I decided to put my new Shinko rear tire on. Check splines, etc.

The last 4 motorcycles I have owned were shaft drive. The output and final drive on the VN are large. I would guess they could take 3x 60hp. Had to be designed for parts compatibility with other bikes. So I checked some parts numbers.

I tried the search, nothing came up. Has anybody tried to adapt say a 1500 final drive to a VN? Or other Kawasaki final drives?

As I have walked around machinist's and machine shop almost all my life, I am tempted to get involved on a on/off basis. I have a full set of machinist tools.

What size rear tire, what rpm's at 70mph and what is the approximate distance between the swing arm axle mounting on a 1500?

Has this been attempted before? If so, what was the thread about so it can be searched?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 01:00 AM
ass hole extaordinaire

I have no clue but the last bubf I saw had the same size tires as my 750 and had cast rims I would say they would be really close but I. Have. No clue about the bevel gear but then again I would say to get a hhigher top speed you would really have to work that into the trans if you want to see a noticable differance

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
Sucks getting old but it beats not getting old.

i got my helmet but it sure makes licking the windows a chore

cell phone number for anyone who needs it 214-516-1738

photobucket link
http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/newrider9984/library/
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 01:24 AM
Prowling Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmsonta View Post
While waiting for my motorcycle parts, in between a soffet R&R, adjusting my bicycle and mowing 1 1/2 a. today, I decided to put my new Shinko rear tire on. Check splines, etc.

The last 4 motorcycles I have owned were shaft drive. The output and final drive on the VN are large. I would guess they could take 3x 60hp. Had to be designed for parts compatibility with other bikes. So I checked some parts numbers.

I tried the search, nothing came up. Has anybody tried to adapt say a 1500 final drive to a VN? Or other Kawasaki final drives?

As I have walked around machinist's and machine shop almost all my life, I am tempted to get involved on a on/off basis. I have a full set of machinist tools.

What size rear tire, what rpm's at 70mph and what is the approximate distance between the swing arm axle mounting on a 1500?

Has this been attempted before? If so, what was the thread about so it can be searched?
I had the opportunity to look at a 1500final drive, and IMO, I believe it would mate up to our tire just fine. However, I've heard that the 1500 FD has a different ration to help keep RPM's down. I wanted to mate a 1500 rear tire to the 750's final drive to get a different looking rear rim and different tire size possibilities, didn't get the chance; but, I believe wheels and FD's are interchangeable between the 2 bikes. I know for certain, the front tire on a 1500 is too wide to fit our skinny forks.

I only understand what I don't understand.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Banned

blaz, your thread on the disc brakes came up in my search.

new rider, my goal would be to reduce rpm's. Even though I have 'over driven' Fuller Roadranger's 30 yrs ago, the design made it possible. I do not believe changing the transmission to be economically feasible. At first glimpse the rear end ratio appears easier than a lot of my endeavors.

I would need an accurate torque curve for the VN, and an account of the available ratio's. By necessity all transmission gear speeds will increase the same.

By necessity this would have to be a 'part time' endeavor, and I will become busier than I am.

Thanks for the replies.

Last edited by wmsonta; 06-29-2013 at 11:07 AM.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Good idea, no practical application.

Even though a 1500 has the same bearings and coupler, it has a ring/pinion of 36/10. VN 750 is 37/10. Not enough change for me to go any further.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 09:56 PM
..have a vulcan good day!

Quote:
faster vulcan?
With the preliminary's I am reading....I doubt it !

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamTech View Post
With the preliminary's I am reading....I doubt it !
Yeah William, I am done. With a rated peak torque @ 3000 rpm, I would have bet on a taller ratio. Makes less sense to wind a 1500 that tight than it does a 750.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 10:16 PM
..have a vulcan good day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmsonta View Post
Yeah William, I am done. With a rated peak torque @ 3000 rpm, I would have bet on a taller ratio. Makes less sense to wind a 1500 that tight than it does a 750.
sounds logical..... you would know best.

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!

Last edited by WilliamTech; 06-29-2013 at 10:18 PM.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 09:03 PM

Vinny Kolouzo (sp ?) put a larger diameter rear wheel on his....that would lower your rpms at the same speed, right ?...lots of room to put a bigger rear wheel and tire on (if not Sportster 11.5" shocks would raise it enough)....you could then get longer upper front tubes to compensate.......check with Vin as to what he used....lotta work for what its worth, IMO...

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Wolfie, I would want 10% rpm drop or I wouldn't mess with it. The 1500 I checked out should have had a taller gear, unfortunately it does not. The 750 has a 67% higher torque peak than the 1500. 3000 vs 5000. Ring and pinions are virtually the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement