Clutch slips bad in 5th gear - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Clutch slips bad in 5th gear

Hey Guys,

Does anyone else have this problem? When I am in 5th gear, if I attempt to accelerate hard at all, the clutch just slips and the engine quickly jumps to red. There is still some resistance there, it's not quite the same as if I let the clutch in and did it, but it's bad. This only started within the past 1000 miles or so. Please tell me there is an easy fix for this...

Thanks,
Adam

Additional Info: 85' VN700, about 18,500 miles, running on Shell Syn. Rot. T. Bike is in excellent condition inside and out, including fresh engine oil, syn. gear oil, moly spline lube, coolant, plugs, filters, sealed battery, tires, etc. etc. etc. This bike has been under my care for the last 4,200 miles, since May of 2006.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 12:16 PM

It is possible that your clutch cable needs to be adjusted and that is why the clutch is slipping. There is a notch on the motor above where the cable attaches. The gap in the cable bracket should line up with this notch. You should be able to adjust it by the handle if needs to be aligned. Otherwise you will have to use the adjusting bolt in the middle of the cable.
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 02:38 PM

could the slipping be caused bt the synthetic oil he is using???

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

I had the clutch cable adjusted by a trusted mechanic when I first got the bike, however, I will read my book and figure out how to adjust it myself to be sure it is adjusted property. It doesn't seem like that's the problem, however, it certainly could be.

As far as the oil goes, I have always used the Synthetic Shell Rotella T per suggestions on this site. Does anyone think it would slip less with Dyno Oil instead? It doesn't seem like that would magically solve the problem either.

-Adam
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 04:41 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I've been using the Syn Rotella T in mine and with my 265 on it, if it was gona slip, I'd think it would with me. No problems here. Sure sounds like a badly adjusted cable.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-18-2007, 09:21 AM

yep - that happenned to me last yr. It turned out the clutch cable needed adjustment. If your mechanic recently "adjusted it" - I would start there. Its very easy to adjust too....

Dom
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-18-2007, 03:56 PM

Agree on the adjustment my dealer always adjusts mine to where he is confortable with the release. I readjust the clutch each time i get it back. I like a longer pull on my clutch and adjust it appropriately--the shop gives me a little speech about proper adjustment each time they have it. Someday I'll point out I've been adjusting clutches longer than he has been on the planet.

Rckmtn
Dennis Huff
Cheyenne, Wy.
05 VN 750
KURYAKYN grips, helmet locks, and highway pegs
Spitfire windshield
Saddleman saddlebags/sissybar bag
Highwayman gelseat with Protac backrest
self canx turnsignals
Diamondstar headlight modulator
Jardine 2 into 2
MCC turn signal relocator and floorboards
Luggage rack
Extended passenger backrest
KURYAKYN LED voltmeter
Custom tank bra with analog clock
Snider paint protector on tank side
130 DB horns
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-18-2007, 08:03 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckmtn View Post
Someday I'll point out I've been adjusting clutches longer than he has been on the planet.
LOL !!

As far as the slipping, Adam, with that few miles on the bike, I wouldn't think the clutch plates would be wore out, but with that year, it could be that the clutch plates are just too old to handle the power running at top gear.
Hopefully it's just an adjustment issue, but, like DMAG mentioned in his clutch post, it's easy to do if needed.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-18-2007, 08:08 PM

It seems to me that if it was an adjustment problems, the clutch should slip in all the gears. Does it slip when you romp on it in a lower gear such as fourth or third? How about if you try to go from a dead stop in second? If it slips in all of these conditions, I would go with the adjustment issue. If not, I would consider tearing the clutch apart and seeing what may be wrong.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Again, you guys came through for me. Thank you.

Initially, I adjusted the clutch cable a little bit and rode around for awhile and didn't notice any change. I decided to adjust it more and that time the problem went away completely. It was the clutch cable after all. Now the clutch does not slip in any gear no matter how much power I give the bike. I tested it out on a 150 mile ride, Sunday. Thanks again!

Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement