Clutch slips bad in 5th gear - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 04:19 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

Great to hear it was an easy fix for ya !!

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 10:32 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Good job!

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #13 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 11:04 AM

Same thing happened to me...mine happened to be BOTH the cable and the clutch! Oy!

Glad you got it fixed!

Anthony
1985 VN700 (Priscilla) Sold
-------------------------------------------------------
Helpful Links -->>
Search | Vulcan Verses | VN750 Gallery | VN750 Items on Ebay | Link to VN750.com

post #14 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Rider View Post
It seems to me that if it was an adjustment problems, the clutch should slip in all the gears. Does it slip when you romp on it in a lower gear such as fourth or third? How about if you try to go from a dead stop in second? If it slips in all of these conditions, I would go with the adjustment issue. If not, I would consider tearing the clutch apart and seeing what may be wrong.
When my cable was out of adjustment I only noticed it at the top end when I was on the interstate. It wasn't until it got more out of whack that I noticed it in all gears.

Glad to hear that was the problem. It is a much easier and cheaper fix than replacing the clutch plates.
post #15 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 12:21 PM

It wasn't on purpose that I tested this theory (clutch slips in higher gear with badly adjusted cable) over the weekend. My KZP is at the end of the clutch cable stretching. For some reason I was adjusting on it while trying to see if the bran new clutch cable hanging in my garage was for the KZP or the older KZ I had before. Well I left the cable badly out of adjustment and a guy came to look at the bike and test drive it sunday. I could tell as he took off that he was having to release way too much clutch lever to get going and I should have run after him and stopped him. He came back from a short ride and said the clutch was slipping in 5th. I told him what I'd done and jumped on the clutch cable adjustment like ugly on an ape and talked him into another test ride and he came back and said it worked perfectly and was very impressed with the bikes power and bought it.

I kind of wish I hadn't done that screwing around with the cable but at least he took it for the second ride.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #16 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMAG View Post
Same thing happened to me...mine happened to be BOTH the cable and the clutch! Oy!

Glad you got it fixed!
In my typical reviving of old posts style, I was wondering if you could explain this slipping in 5th gear? After I cleaned and rebuilt the carbs recently, I noticed that the bike just didn't have the power it did before I took everything apart and cleaned it. During a ride yesterday, my friend said that in 5th gear when he would be cruising and got on it, the bike would rev like it should (quickly), but the acceleration was very lack luster and the rpm jump didn't match the speed jump. I confirmed on the ride in that something doesn't seem to be engaging. I have changed the final drive oil, and lubed up the splines. The bike seems to drive fine in all other gears, but it just doesn't have the same amount of performance it did. It used to match/beat a 2019 RoadKing with the 107, and yesterday it was a couple of bike lengths behind it. Could this all be related to a slipping clutch?

'08 Road King Classic
'86 VN750:
Ear Shave, K&N Filters, Mean Streak Seat, AGM battery, Blue Wire Mod, Pick-up Coil Mod, Timing Advance Mod, NGK Iridium Plugs and Wire, LEDs, Bed Liner Paint Job, Over-sized Tires, New Brakes, New Fork Seals, Progressive Springs, Kick Stand Mod, Highway Pegs, 40/140 No Shims, Vance & Hines Exhaust, New Grips, Extra Wide Emgo Handle Bars
John 8:44, REV 2:9, REV 3:9 - If you were kicked out of 109 bars, would you think the problem was you, or the 109 bars?
post #17 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

engine revving without speed increase.. only a couple things can cause that.. slipping clutch or rear driveshaft splines (this would occur in all gears and likely be more like 'noise and not moving')

if the clutch is slipping, a couple of cheaper things to try are:
new oil (make sure its motorcycle compatible, NOT 'energy conserving'. energy conserving additives f-up the clutch disks
adjustment of the cable (free, no cost)
check the 5 (or is it 6) clutch springs. under round cover on right side (along with the clutch) and pretty easy to remove/replace
also, the metal clutch plates may be glazed.. you can break the glaze with some fine (800+) grit wet/dry sandpaper used with oil on a nice flat plate like a piece of glass

if the above dont work, the disks or plates are shot.

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #18 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 10:07 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Mine did this. Was a new bike with less than 5,000 miles on it. Only seemed to happen going up a steep grade or passing a car at higher speeds in 5th gear.

At first I thought it might be insufficient fuel delivery, however I installed a new clutch with heavy duty springs and it went away.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #19 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 10:12 AM

Thanks guys, I will have to try this, as this is a recent thing. I have not adjusted the clutch cable since I had to redo the pawl spring (for the umpteenth time), so I will try that first. As Teddy said, I don't think it would be the splines, as I have just taken that apart and lubed everything. I've never replaced a clutch, is there anything else I should look at while I am in there?

'08 Road King Classic
'86 VN750:
Ear Shave, K&N Filters, Mean Streak Seat, AGM battery, Blue Wire Mod, Pick-up Coil Mod, Timing Advance Mod, NGK Iridium Plugs and Wire, LEDs, Bed Liner Paint Job, Over-sized Tires, New Brakes, New Fork Seals, Progressive Springs, Kick Stand Mod, Highway Pegs, 40/140 No Shims, Vance & Hines Exhaust, New Grips, Extra Wide Emgo Handle Bars
John 8:44, REV 2:9, REV 3:9 - If you were kicked out of 109 bars, would you think the problem was you, or the 109 bars?
post #20 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 10:58 AM

Same thing started happening to me yesterday. Noticed RPMs way to high coming through a turn with no umph. When we stopped I noticed the arm on the crankcase is out of alignment which I adjusted 8 months ago. How often does this need to be done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement