Clutch Cover Oil leak - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Clutch Cover Oil leak

My son's '98 has developed a bad oil leak from the Clutch Cover. A small area just below where the clutch cable guide is. Question at this point is, as a temporary fix, is there a chance to seal it with silicone? Maybe loosen the top bolts and clean it enough to get a seal? Reason it started leaking? Sounds as if I don't need to remove the clutch to replace the gasket.
Thanks,
Ken

EDIT: So sorry folks. I didn't take the time to look. the cable IS the rear brake cable.

Last edited by ffltstn; 06-23-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 01:02 AM

The silicone wont fix it....but try this....put the bike on the sidestand and drain the oil....let it sit a bit that way...loosen all the bolts on the clutch cover side....let it sit a few....start retightening, evenly as possible, bottom first, and give the lower bolts a bit more torque....you can sometimes get away with that for a season....eventualy though, will need to replace the seal....its not a tough thing to do....

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 01:57 AM
Prowling Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
The silicone wont fix it....but try this....put the bike on the sidestand and drain the oil....let it sit a bit that way...loosen all the bolts on the clutch cover side....let it sit a few....start retightening, evenly as possible, bottom first, and give the lower bolts a bit more torque....you can sometimes get away with that for a season....eventualy though, will need to replace the seal....its not a tough thing to do....
There is no need to drain the oil with bike on side stand. I accessed the clutch this way and didn't have a drop of oil touch the floor.

Also, you can save yourself time and money by buying a package of manilla folders to use as a gasket. What I did was traced the cover and bolt holes onto a folder and cut it out using an exacto knife. Then, I drew lines connecting each bolt hole and cut that out. Pretty simple and it worked very well. Super cheap and easy to do!

I only understand what I don't understand.

Last edited by blazblu82; 06-23-2013 at 02:36 AM.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 09:09 AM

Um, I could be wrong but the clutch cable and guide are not on the same side as the clutch. The bolt you refer to is holding on the generator/balance gear cover(as well as the clutch cable guide. Those bolts go into blind holes except one of the top ones which passes through a hole tapped into the cam chain tunnel, that bolt requires non-hardening sealer on it's threads. Likely the gasket needs replacing which requires an engine "lean". Make sure the oil is not running from somewhere else and just looking like it comes from that area. My apologies if I have misunderstood your reference to the cable. Is the '98 a different beast to the earlier ones in this respect ?

One can never have too many alternative forms of transport.

Last edited by gibbo; 06-23-2013 at 09:11 AM.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 09:42 AM
..have a vulcan good day!

Quote:
Is the '98 a different beast to the earlier ones in this respect ?
No...all the same.

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 12:17 PM
Prowling Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffltstn View Post
My son's '98 has developed a bad oil leak from the Clutch Cover. A small area just below where the clutch cable guide is. Question at this point is, as a temporary fix, is there a chance to seal it with silicone? Maybe loosen the top bolts and clean it enough to get a seal? Reason it started leaking? Sounds as if I don't need to remove the clutch to replace the gasket.
Thanks,
Ken
Doh, I should have read this post. That is not the clutch cover, that is the stator cover. The clutch cable mounts on that side and works the clutch through the engine. You could go through and tighten the bolts a bit, bit the gasket may need replacing. Try to follow where the oil is leaking from, it could be leaking from where the stator wires protrude from the engine case.

Seems to be common to have an oil leak if the cover was removed at some point. If it looks to be a gasket failure, then the engine will need to be tipped / removed to replace the gasket.

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

No it's not the stator cover it's on the other side of the bike (right side). The Cable comes around the rear cylinder and has a j type holder there to just control where it's routed. When we rev the bike u can see it spitting out like the gasket is missing. The bike only had 6000 miles when we got it 6 months ago so I am finding a lot of the seal dried up. This seems to be another one. Thanks for the advice, at least it's not a known major issue.
Thanks,
Ken
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 03:32 PM
Prowling Tiger

Quote:
No it's not the stator cover it's on the other side of the bike (right side). The Cable comes around the rear cylinder and has a j type holder there to just control where it's routed. When we rev the bike u can see it spitting out like the gasket is missing. The bike only had 6000 miles when we got it 6 months ago so I am finding a lot of the seal dried up. This seems to be another one. Thanks for the advice, at least it's not a known major issue.
Thanks,
Ken
Um,I don't think that is clutch cable. Could be idle adjuster. Clutch cable runs on shifter side only along with choke cable. Throttle cables are routed on brake side only. Idle adjuster is the only cable I know which has the 90 degree metal tube on it.

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

pics are worth thousands of words... can you take a couple and post them??
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 05:43 PM
..have a vulcan good day!

Quote:
Thanks,
Ken
going out on a limb here....
Are you talking about the REAR Brake cable on the right side ?
......just askin'

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement