Twice now, tranny not wanting to go 1st at dead stop - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Transmission / Rear End
\ Chattering Clutch? Transmission Trouble?
Rear End Woes? Splines Shot? Discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Prowling Tiger

Twice now, tranny not wanting to go 1st at dead stop

Ok, so for whatever reason, my bike died at an intersection. I know my clutch switch isn't working right, so I can't start it with the clutch pulled in. As I was sitting there trying to get the bike in neutral, it took me several hard stomps to get it to 1st than back to neutral. I don't know what's causing this, but it is becoming irritating. It's like the gears aren't meshing together. I hope the syncro's aren't trying to fail. The bike did pop out of 2nd back to neutral as I was accelerating recently.

As for the clutch switch, I think a quick tear down and clean will fix it. The plunger is slow to pop out.

Any ideas about the tranny?

I only understand what I don't understand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 09:18 AM

I think someone here in the past couple of months mentioned finding a bent pin on the shift drum.

Stomping might not be the best thing to try, even though our 03 has the improved, larger diameter, shifter rod on the inside.

Someone also mentioned finding the spring clip out of place.

Didn't you say your bike shifted smoother after switching oil? Might mean it was starting to act up then.

edit: I also recall a really old post where the check balls for the neutral finder were sticking.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 09:20 AM
ass hole extaordinaire

i wouldnt stomp it just roll it forward a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
Sucks getting old but it beats not getting old.

i got my helmet but it sure makes licking the windows a chore

cell phone number for anyone who needs it 214-516-1738

photobucket link
http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/newrider9984/library/

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 09:32 AM

If the oil has been dirty at some point, some Seafoam or Marvel Mystery Oil in the oil might free it up. If you're close to an oil change and can still ride it some more, this might help. Be sure to follow the dosage.

What about the switch to synthetic oil? I don't know, but I've heard wive's tales about synthetic turning to goo if there's dino oil left behind and the two mix. Is it true, I don't know.

Last edited by Spockster; 04-29-2013 at 09:34 AM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 10:07 AM
Old Truck Junkie

As far as I know it will not turn to goo. I work at B-line lube and when drivers change to senthetic from dino, there has never been any problem with goo.
I have seen this happen, but it was with gear oil. It was some kind of mineral base lube. It turned to tar in the trans. It was like the indian head gasket sealer. It was a mess.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 10:09 AM

Now that you mention it, I think it was gear oil I heard that about.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

when it happens to me (not often), I either roll forward a foot or so, or release clutch while in neutral, and try again. for me it seems the gears may be aligning just wrong..

also, for me this is more common when hot than cold
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Prowling Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
If the oil has been dirty at some point, some Seafoam or Marvel Mystery Oil in the oil might free it up. If you're close to an oil change and can still ride it some more, this might help. Be sure to follow the dosage.

What about the switch to synthetic oil? I don't know, but I've heard wive's tales about synthetic turning to goo if there's dino oil left behind and the two mix. Is it true, I don't know.
I just changed the oil yesterday. I used the old oil for too long. Bike sat for 3 months at dealership then I rode for another month or so before finally changing the oil. Did see a lot of gasket material clinging to oil screen.

As for synthetic, I think I read were wet clutches don't like it as much as the real deal oil.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Prowling Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganteddybear View Post
when it happens to me (not often), I either roll forward a foot or so, or release clutch while in neutral, and try again. for me it seems the gears may be aligning just wrong..

also, for me this is more common when hot than cold
I tried that last night and it didn't want to downshift from 3rd to 1st at a stop after the bike died. Once I was able to get it to 1st, I had a rough time getting to neutral. It kept wanting to skip it to 2nd gear.

I swear, the shop that worked on my bike jacked it up. The shifter itself has more front/back free play than before. The day I got it back, the shifter wasn't aligned right nor would it shift out of first gear. They ain't getting no more of my business. Especially after they tried charging me $24 per spark plug for the 900C I had. I don't even spend that for the 4 plugs my 750 needs.

Last edited by blazblu82; 04-29-2013 at 10:57 AM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Did see a lot of gasket material clinging to oil screen.
Was it rubber from the dampers?

Quote:
Once I was able to get it to 1st, I had a rough time getting to neutral. It kept wanting to skip it to 2nd gear.
Sounds like the PNF check balls sticking. If the bike isn't moving, it shouldn't hit anything except 1st and neutral.

Quote:
I swear, the shop that worked on my bike jacked it up. The shifter itself has more front/back free play than before. The day I got it back, the shifter wasn't aligned right nor would it shift out of first gear.
Possibly the shop stretched something out of whack and now it doesn't throw far enough to shift right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement